All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
I'm sick and really need help...
      #9497 - 05/20/03 03:48 PM
meg

Reged: 01/29/03

As I posted a little earlier, I recently had gallbladder surgery, 2 weeks yesterday to be exact. As I also posted earlier, I am still plagued with constipation and in fact, it seems to be worse than before. I don't go as long in between movements, but the painful trapped gas is most horrible. It puts me in the floor each time I have to use the bathroom. The pain is just awful and I've tried over the counter gas medicines and they do not help at all. I've added some new foods, a very small amount of fiber foods, but I don't believe this is the real problem. I would eat those before the surgery and they didn't have me in the floor in pain, this is recent and just after the surgery. I'm sick at my stomach also. I just am at the end of my rope. The pain in my left side is worse than it ever was, but as far as the horrible cramps and spasms I had before with an IBS attack, well those are a bit better.

What am I doing wrong? Is there any thing strong out there for gas? Is there life after gallbladder surgery? Why won't this all just GO AWAY!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I'm sick and really need help... new
      #9510 - 05/20/03 05:02 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I'm so sorry you're not feeling well. I know that my Dad had problems with his stomach ever since he had his gallbladder out. I'm not an expert on constipation, but I do know that you can make lots of strong fennel tea to help with the gas and bloating. Fennel is excellent for bloating. If you can, crush the seeds up a bit before brewing with a mortar and pestle or a sharp knife. That will make it more potent. Peppermint tea is excellent for pain - I find it also helps with the nausea and gas. Ginger tea is great for nausea.
I would reread the section on "breaking the cycle of attacks" and eat bland for a day or two. This may help. Rice, baked potatoes, plain toasted white bread. Lots of water and any light exercise (ie. walking) can also help constipation. Take care and I hope you feel better soon.
Gall bladder surgery has been discussed on this website before, you might want to hit the search button - others have gone through this too. Maybe they will have some suggestions for you.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#9515 - 05/20/03 05:12 PM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

I agree with exericise with the constipation, def! Whenever I get C (which is rare) All i have to do is run like a mile, and the c ends that night.

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#9518 - 05/20/03 05:21 PM
Leanne01

Reged: 02/03/03

You may want to call your doctor tomorrow and tell them whats going on. Maybe they can see you tomorrow. I hope you get to feeling better. A girl I work with had her gallbladder taken out a couple weeks ago, and she was off work for a week and came back yesterday and then she was sick today so I think she is having problems.

#9523 - 05/20/03 05:52 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Meg,
Firstly, I'm so sorry for you and your pain.

I agree that maybe you should touch base with your doctor and tell him/her what is going on and see what they think.

The pain of trapped gas can be unbearable, I'm in that boat at the moment too. You're right the medications don't help that at all and I read somewhere in an earlier thread that it is because they work on gas in the stomach and not the bowels.

The best thing I find for relieving it is walking, it just seems to shift it around. Also some yoga poses help (wind pose, corpse and child). I really think walking is the best though. Even if you can't summon the strength to get out of the house do some laps of your lounge room. It's not quite as good but better than nothing.

I'm doing that at the moment as I just had an embryo transfer and am supposed to take it really easy.

I wish you better soon!

Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#9569 - 05/21/03 03:47 AM
tlc

Reged: 03/06/03
Loc: Australia

Hey there,

So sorry to hear of your news. I hope you are doing ok. Trapped gas is terrible! Sometimes I feel poking it helps move things along a little and a hot water bottle can help too. Also like the idea of some walking around.

Good luck with it all. Be sensible - go back to your doctor just to be sure.

Let us know how you go.

#9877 - 05/24/03 06:37 PM
KaybeeC

Reged: 03/14/03
Loc: Ohio

Hi, Meg -

So sorry about the pain. I had my gallbladder out several years ago and suffered from trapped gas (in my shoulder area) for about 3 days. If someone hadn't warned me about this ahead of time, I would have called 911, thinking I was having a heart attack, it was that bad. The pain came about every couple of hours, around the clock, and lasted for about an hour each attack. Surely by now, the gas they pumped into your abdomen during the surgery has left - but the surgery itself may have triggered the gas pains you're having now. Did the surgeon or your GE give you a post-op diet to follow for about 6 weeks? Mine was very low-fat, low-protein. I wouldn't be adding new foods - just the very basics for a while. Have you had your post-op visit to the surgeon yet? I'd call the surgeon first about the pain, to make sure it's not related to the surgery, but if no help there, I'd just call your GE or primary care doctor. You might also try a pharmacist - they are often very willing to make suggestions - and might know if something you're taking is contributing. (Also, have you tried charcoal for the gas? Available at health-food stores and pharmacies).

Praying you feel better soon!

Blessings,
Kaybee C

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 231 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 974

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review