All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Priobiotics-- from Dr. Andrew Weil
      #9445 - 05/20/03 05:21 AM
BarbBT

Reged: 04/05/03
Loc: Chicago suburb, IL

This is from Dr. Andrew Weil. I thought it interesting (please note last paragraph):

"I definitely recommend taking probiotics when you're on antibiotics. Many antibiotics wipe out "friendly" intestinal bacteria that help keep your digestive system functioning normally. In the intestines and colon, these microbes help complete the digestive process, and some actually produce vitamins. There's even evidence that without normal "friendly" bacteria in the digestive tract, our immune system wouldn't function properly, and we would be less resistant to harmful bugs. Immediate effects of the disruption of normal gut flora by antibiotics are often diarrhea, cramping, bloating or other unpleasant digestive symptoms.

Probiotics are products containing the helpful bacteria that normally inhabit the human digestive tract, usually Lactobacillus or Bifidobacterium, (sometimes they are collectively called "acidophilus.") Most occur in cultured milk products, such as yogurt with active cultures or acidophilus milk. Because concentrations of desired bacteria in milk products may not be high enough to do you any good, I recommend the use of supplemental lactobacillus in liquid or capsule form. I particularly recommend the strain known as Lactobacillus GG because research shows that it survives passage through the strong acid of the stomach and actually makes it into the intestinal tract where it's needed. (One brand of Lactobacillus GG is Culturelle, sold on the Internet or in health food stores.)

Start taking probiotics twice a day with meals as soon as you begin taking antibiotics and continue for a few days after you complete your course of antibiotics.

Incidentally, in addition to preventing diarrhea associated with antibiotic treatment, probiotics have proven to be an effective treatment for diarrhea in children, travelers' diarrhea, lactose intolerance, and irritable bowel syndrome."

Barb

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Priobiotics-- from Dr. Andrew Weil new
      #9447 - 05/20/03 05:37 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Do you know anything about probiotics aiding in constipation? Thanks!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#9473 - 05/20/03 10:05 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Thanks! I'm saving this info for the next time I have to take antibiotics (which hopefully won't be for a long, long, LONG time )!

One question though: Does anyone know how you're supposed to take both probiotics & antibiotics during the same time? Usually I take antibiotics with meals, but this says to take the probiotics with meals, but I thought you can't take both pills at the same time. So, how would you do it, how far apart? I hope this makes sense.

#9488 - 05/20/03 01:53 PM
BarbBT

Reged: 04/05/03
Loc: Chicago suburb, IL

Hi Mags,
I take my probiotics once every morning to prevent IBS symptoms even though I'm not taking antiobiotics. My probiotic is in powder form, so I just dissolve 1/2 tsp. in a glass of water. I have more "good days" than bad, which I attribute to a myriad of things: probiotics, Heather's diet, digestive enzymes, Juice Plus+, exercise, water....you name it and I try to do it!

So are the probiotics helping me? They sure aren't hurting me and if they're what's contributing to keeping my IBS under control, it's what I plan to continue to do!

Barb

#9492 - 05/20/03 03:33 PM
*Melissa*

Thanks for responding! I know what you mean. Sometimes I'm doing so much to help the IBS that I can't really tell which is exactly helping me. But I figure, if I feel good, I'm going with it.

I've been doing well with Heather's diet & the hypno tapes. Plus I take the fiber, exercise, pepogest, etc. So, I don't think I need to take probiotics, since I'm doing okay without them. I just want to be ready if I ever have to take antibiotics. Last summer I had to take some for like 10 days or so, and I thought I was going to die! It was pure agony! I couldn't tell which was worse--the actual illness I was taking them for or the agony of the antibiocs side effects!

Thanks again for the info...I think this is the best info I've found on probiotics yet!

#9493 - 05/20/03 03:33 PM
Leanne01

Reged: 02/03/03

Where can you pick up Priobiotics?

#9495 - 05/20/03 03:35 PM
*Melissa*

I've seen them at Whole Foods, but I think you can get them at any health food store.

#9507 - 05/20/03 04:53 PM
Lorna

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Good article! I am taking probiotics (acidophilus) and I think this has helped my IBS tremendously (along with Heather's diet, of course!) I don't take it specifically when I need to take antibiotics, I just take two every day!

--------------------
Lorna

:) I was going to post the same article -nt- new
      #9549 - 05/20/03 08:47 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

Re: Priobiotics- att KINOZ new
      #9568 - 05/21/03 03:44 AM
tlc

Reged: 03/06/03
Loc: Australia

Hey there,

Do you take probiotics? I'm just asking a fellow Aussie to see what brands may be worthwhile.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1137 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2632

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review