All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
"d"
      #93926 - 07/28/04 01:22 PM
salp13

Reged: 05/01/04

hello all,

pretty sure i need some help, some advice at least. i have an odd problem, normally i have 2 bm's/day. i try very hard to balance diet out, soluble fiber, insoluble fiber, water, peppermint tea, etc. but i am still having odd problem. my am bm is great, my afternoon bm is usually "d". my main ? is this: how long does it normally take for your body to expel a meal? if i knew this i could at least figure out which meal is perhaps causing the "d", breakfast, lunch, dinner? and like everyone else, i am wery of just ditching alot of the veggies and other fruit that may be causeing it in fear of "d". what foods have gluten? does gluten cause "d", just a thought. any help would due, ty

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: "d" new
      #93933 - 07/28/04 01:31 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

Hi:

This has come up before. I think the answer for a western diet is 24-48 hours, more like 12-24 for an eastern diet.

One way to solve this puzzle is to eat something you know won't fully digest and register how long it takes to make its exit! With my body, my morning BM is what I ate the day before.

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

#93936 - 07/28/04 01:35 PM
JBI

Reged: 01/25/04
Loc: BC, Canada

Hi there,

I'm not sure how long it takes for a meal to go through, but if I had to guess I'd say that it was either your breakfast meal bothering you, or possibley and outside factor too.

No matter what I eat, I usually don't feel great in the mornings. For some reason my stomach doesn't like the transistion from sleep to waking up. Sometimes even after I have a nap I may not feel great.

With rergards to gluten. It's in LOTS of foods. I tried going gluten free for a few months but I don't think that that was my problem. I didn't have any of the tests because the nearest G.I. is 700 km and the one I went to was kind of a tool.

Things that you have to watch out for: Anything that contains wheat, oats barley, flour, malt. It's amazing how much of that stuff is in everything. Flour is used as a thickening agent for lots of stuff you wouldn;t expect, ie, almost all of campell's soups have it in. Make sure you read the labels very carefully if you're going to try true gluten free.

Good Luck

#93944 - 07/28/04 01:53 PM
salp13

Reged: 05/01/04

wheat can cause "d"? i didnt know that. i eat 2 whole wheat pieces of bread each day, 1 in the am, who knows?

#93946 - 07/28/04 01:58 PM
JBI

Reged: 01/25/04
Loc: BC, Canada

There's a start at least. Even if gluten doesn't bother you, anything with wholewheat (or other whole grains) in it can be a problem. Believe it or not, for IBSer's it's actually healthier to have white bread or french bread. But you also have to be careful with white breads as some will have lots of other crap in them or even milk products.

If you do try gluten free, which I wouldn't do right away. All breads, except for specialty rice breads and a couple other types, and all pasta except rice pasta are off limits.

whole wheat new
      #93948 - 07/28/04 02:09 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

Whole wheat is a definite trigger for me. I recommend cutting it completely for now. Later, if you want to reincorporate it, some people make sandwiches that are half whole wheat, half white bread.

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3912 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1380

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review