All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Allegra (Allergy Medicine) Question???
      #9343 - 05/18/03 10:59 PM
TeaWoman

Reged: 01/29/03

I have a question regarding Allegra, an allergy medication. I know some medications have different side effects, including upset stomach. With that in mind, I am pretty cautious about any kind of medication I take. My allergies have been bad, but have gotten horrible just this last weekend. I do have Allegra, but am concerned it might affect my IBS. Do I have legitmate concerns or am I being too cautious? Does anyone have any allergy medicines that work for your allergies without upsetting your IBS? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Allegra (Allergy Medicine) Question??? new
      #9351 - 05/19/03 05:24 AM
annmarie

Reged: 03/31/03

I take Zyrtec and it doesn't seem to bother my IBS.

#9354 - 05/19/03 06:59 AM
txmom

Reged: 03/24/03
Loc: North Texas

A lot of OTC allergy medicine contains lactose. Check the inactive ingredients before taking it. I cannot tolerate Claritin but I can tolerate Allegra. Allergies and IBS are a miserable mix. I hope you get to feeling better.

#9362 - 05/19/03 08:52 AM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

I don't take allergy medicine because it makes me sleepy (even Claritin). Right now I am suffering without medicine.

#9380 - 05/19/03 11:56 AM
Chris

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Kansas

I can't take Allegra, it tears up my stomach. I got severe stomach cramps, alot of D and a bad backache. The doctor told me it was temporary, but after two months I threw the Allegra away and tried Zyrtec, it didn't bother my IBS at all.

#9386 - 05/19/03 01:37 PM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

Thank you for asking. I was wondering the same thing. Last summer I took otc medicine and I was so drowsy I couldn't handle my kids. I was so frustrated with them and the way I felt that I gave up on any medicine. I never tried perscription. I have thought about it and so wondering about the same question.

#9395 - 05/19/03 03:33 PM
Leanne01

Reged: 02/03/03

I take Zyrtec too whenever I need it and it doesn't bother me either.

#9641 - 05/21/03 09:39 PM
TeaWoman

Reged: 01/29/03

A big Thanks to all who replied!!! I really appreciate any and all input. The sad thing is that I have never even tried Allegra...have it, but never have tried it. I know one person who responded said they did fine on it, whereas the majority of you said you take Zyrtec. Well, wish me luck as I weigh if it's worth it or not to take. Oh and by the way, I did forget to add that I do take Beconase, which is a nasal spray (it reduces inflammation in the nose associated with allergies) and it seems to help with the decongestion (without affecting IBS), but does not seem to help with sneezing, itchy eyes, itchy throat, etc... So, again, thank you all for your input and I hope you all are able to control your allergies and feel better this allergy season.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 388 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2691

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review