All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
missing specific foods
      #934 - 02/15/03 06:54 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

What do you do when you really miss a specific food that is never going to be a safe food? I can't eat seaweed salad (maybe I could if it didn't have sesame seeds, but the health food store's deli and the local sushi restuarant both put sesame seeds in) or regular big green salads--especially Caesar salads, with all that creamy dressing and cheese, but even lighter salads from the Mediterranean place, with lemon juice and salt and pepper. And I miss baked potatoes with sour cream--OK, now I'm just whining, I CAN get soy sour cream and perk it up with lemon juice , but right now I feel very hungry and sorry for myself. Oh well, I'm going to track down my friends and see if they'll go out with me, at least I know I can eat lots of the choices at the local sushi place .

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: missing specific foods new
      #941 - 02/16/03 02:19 AM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

I can't say I really miss any foods in particular. I think the thought of what they would do to me puts me right off. In fact sometimes I can't believe some of the things I used to eat. My husband is really good and follows my diet with me without complaint but he still likes a bacon and egg breakfast now and then and I swear even the smell makes me ill.

I do miss drinks though. I miss a nice cold can of coke on a hot day and a nice glass of red wine with dinner, even apple juice with breakfast. I would love to be able to drink these again. I love the herbal teas and I love water but it's just not the same.

Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#945 - 02/16/03 07:26 AM
Kathy

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Seattle, WA

God!!!! I would kill for steak and lobster right about now. Any COFFEE! A double tall mocha with whipped cream. Oh, God! Even now I am trying to coordinate a bit of chicken into my diet, but can't do it yet without consequences. Hang in there!!!!!

#948 - 02/16/03 08:53 AM
SharShar

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Illinois

For me, I think I developed a type of "eating disorder" before going on Heather's diet because EVERYTHING I put in my mouth would make me have "D", then when I went on Heather's diet, and I started feeling better, I didn't want to eat those foods anymore. But about 1 or 2 months into it, the cravings hit really hard, (I am a chocolate addicted person, 1000 calories a day from just chocolate for the past 10 or so years until starting Heather's diet) I was craving not only chocolate but Cheese Balls and Pizza. Now, if I eat a meal from Heather's diet, I can, at the end of the meal when I am relatively full, eat some "bad" things and not pay. It took me a long time to get to this point, and I know when not even to try. But at least I can indulge once in a while to keep my sanity.
Best of luck
SharShar

--------------------
Who knew life was possible with out chocolate?!!

#980 - 02/16/03 10:59 PM
juniorrachel

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: St. Louis, MO

i miss almost all things dairy. i'm a wisconsin girl, and i miss my cheddar cheese! and yogurt and cream cheese and milk on my cereal and ice cream. ugh. there are some good soy/tofu substitutes for all these, but it's just not the same. oh and really rich really bad for you no matter who you are alfredo sauce... mmmmmmmmm....

Beth

#982 - 02/17/03 06:34 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I think we all miss something at sometime or other. I feel like I could cheat the diet daily, hourly, by the minute sometimes. I admit, sometimes I do. But I know the consequences, and sometimes, well, .... we're not perfect. If you're going to cheat, cheat smart. I find that a VERY small salad at the end of a safe meal can be OK, or that a teaspoon of sour cream and fresh chives I can tolerate. I think we all have different tolerance levels, too. I can cheat quite a bit and get away with it. I know - I'm lucky. Sometimes, I think a little indulgence helps me to stay on the diet because I don't feel so deprived. Just do it at the end of the meal, on a day where you don't have to go anywhere in case you run into trouble. And keep the portions small. Hope my ramblings help.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1923 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2876

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review