All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Breath test for Lactose Intolerant
      #93309 - 07/26/04 06:47 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

Can anyone give me more information on that test. I've never been officially told I am lactose intolerant but I think I've heard or read somewhere that there's some kind of breath test you can take and it will tell you? How the heck does that work?
The reason I don't think I am is because I can eat cheese (like american white cheese)without problem. Or even Mozerella. Cream cheese, NO! Ice cream/milk, NO! Sour Cream, NO. I'd like to see if I am but I wanted more info on the test. Any input?

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Breath test for Lactose Intolerant new
      #93335 - 07/26/04 07:46 PM
rosiechica

Reged: 08/22/03
Loc: Wisconsin

I don't know, but i'd be interested because i'm the same way, I can have a turkey and cheese sandwhich, and even sometimes cheese pizza, but milk or ice cream or a shake? No way!

#93346 - 07/26/04 08:49 PM
jeenerz

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Northwest Montana

Me Too
I can eat cheese and SOMETIMES pizza. Don't drink much milk and have eaten hard icecream at times but NO soft icecream (ie Dairy Queen, Wendy's Frosty etc) I have reg. whipped yogurt every day and I seem to tolerate that pretty well. I would be very interested to see if there was any kind of test like that
Janene

#93355 - 07/26/04 09:30 PM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

None of us are really "lactose intolerant." It's just the dairy is a trigger because of the fats in it I think. And the whey and caesin for some of us.

I am really not familiar with the breath test however, but be aware that this may not even affect you as it's not the lactose itself that causes you the trouble.

Also - if you have an attack and have eaten quite safely aside from the cheeses I would really think they are your triggers. They don't always cause attacks right away, but rest assured it will catch up with you. Unfortunately

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

Question for Janene new
      #93424 - 07/27/04 07:26 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi,

Where do you get whipped yogurt ice cream? I used to eat Colombo Choco Yogurt Ice Cream and now I can't find it. Also, used to get whipped yogurt ice cream at a restaurant near where I worked but I don't work there anymore. And...used to get it at DQ but they don't have yogurt anymore. I have been looking all over for some. I have found Haagen Dazs vanilla yogurt ice cream at some stores and that is pretty good but soooo expensive. $3.99 for a tiny container.

How have you been feeling? Any progress????

Barbie

--------------------

#93425 - 07/27/04 07:42 AM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

I just had this done but didn't get the results back yet.

First, you must fast for 12 hours, then you go in and they mix up a cup of lactose. It's made from a powder mixture and tastes like water. Then you blow into this little bag every thirty minutes (different bag each time) for about three and a half hours. Long, boring test. I don't have the results back from mine yet, but my doc is ruling everything out. I just had a colo/endo done on the 21st and have had a ton of bloodwork done. I go back next week to discuss all my tests.

The doc found out I had two ulcers, though, and he's treating those.

--------------------
~jules

Thanx for asking, Barbie new
      #93519 - 07/27/04 12:26 PM
jeenerz

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Northwest Montana

Hi Barbie,
I guess I didn't post very clearly....I have whipped yoplait yogurt everyday, not yogurt icecream (I wish!!!) Soft icecream was my major downfall B-IBS (before IBS ) However, I haven't even touched the hard icecream lately as I've been trying so hard to just get stable...You asked how I was doing...well, better than last week. I may have had my husband's 'bug' and that's why everything that usually happens was so much worse Last Friday I began dropping my vitamins and supplements that I've taken for years. (1500mg of Vit C, 600mg of Calcium and the multi) Had also been taking a Vit B supplement, but when I went to my med dr back in April, she said Vit B has been know to irritate IBS, so I dropped that way back then. Yesterday morning was great; had only 1 bm and other than the usual nausea for abit, I had a pretty good morning. So I began to fantasize that maybe, just maybe, the vitamins were the culprit. However, this morning dispelled that fantasy. Wasn't bad enought to take Immodium, but tummy rumbled all morning. I'm still taking my estrogen--maybe that's the cause...I don't know; it gets so exasperating! My next thing I'll probably try is dropping all dairy--AGAIN...tried that several months ago, but didn't seem to matter. My chiropractor things that my scoliosis is what's causing the IBS; he could be right...he started this week adjusting and working on the lower back where my scoliosis is so bad and where the nerves from the back go into the colon...so we'll see. Thanx for asking and for your interest...
God Bless,
Janene

Jules..... new
      #93631 - 07/27/04 05:14 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

Does sound long and boring. Reminds me of a glucose tolerance test you have to take sometimes when you are pregnant.
I just might look into the test though. Hey what can it hurt right?
Thanks for the info. Let me know how yours turns out!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Re: Jules..... new
      #98890 - 08/17/04 11:23 AM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

Well, I'm not lactose intolerant, I don't have Celiac, I just have three ulcers that are being treated with Prevacid. My doc said that I have IBS. Bleech!

--------------------
~jules

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6190 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1766

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review