All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
multi-vitamin rec?
      #93250 - 07/26/04 04:29 PM
debaver

Reged: 06/27/04

Can anyone recommend a good multivitamin? I've been trying to add one in after getting stable, but the one I've tried doesn't seem all that great. It's Centrum chewable, since I have trouble swallowing large pillows (my esophagus is narrowed considerably due to reflux, though I do have it stretched periodically, when I really have trouble swallowing).
The only thing I'm really concerned about getting from a multi-vitamin is iron, since I've got a tendency to anemia, and the IBS diet isn't heavy on high iron foods. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

When do you know when you're stable enough to start one? new
      #93253 - 07/26/04 04:35 PM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

Tummy wise, I've been feeling relatively normal for 2 weeks now, and would like to start a multi vitamin. When is it safe?

PS. Do you have a GNC near you? They have one called "Woman's Ultra Mega".

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

Edited by BeckyT (07/26/04 04:36 PM)

Re: multi-vitamin rec? new
      #93291 - 07/26/04 06:08 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

I take Walgreen's A-Z multivitamin without iron. Iron doesn't agree with me. You might ask the pharmacist about an iron supplement that doesn't upset the stomach. Always read the labels because some vitamins, mints, gum contain sorbitol/mannitol. I found out the hard way after 2 weeks of D.

If you want to get more iron and can tolerate oatmeal....Quaker "regular" instant oatmeal has 45% daily requirement of iron. It has to be the regular one, though and not the flavored ones. Just read the label and you will see how much iron it has.

Good luck,
Barbie

--------------------

Re: When do you know when you're stable enough to start one? new
      #93293 - 07/26/04 06:12 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Just want to remind you to read all labels on vitamins to be sure they don't contain sorbitol/mannitol.

I take Walgreens A-Z no iron formula and they agree with me fine. You might even want to start with a children's chewable....just remember to read the labels. I really do believe in vitamins and think they make me feel more energetic. Maybe even ask the pharmacist for a recommendation for vitamin for sensitive stomach.

Barbie

--------------------

#94267 - 07/29/04 01:16 PM
karmakatt

Reged: 07/27/04
Loc: Massachusetts

have you tried 'gummy bear' vitamins? they're the only kind i can tolerate (by a long shot)... kk

#94275 - 07/29/04 01:33 PM
Sweetd

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: NY

I take Solgar Multi vitiman, it has a significant amount of iron and and it is easy on your stomach. It has chealted vitamins, which means, that they are easy to digest. I use to have major problems taking any vitamin, but I tried these and these are the only one I am able to take. Also, it is free of dairy, soy, corn, wheat and a lot of other things that some people may be allergic to. They are large in size but I break them in half, or you can buy a pill cutter at the pharmacy, which might be better for you. I highly recommend this vitamin. I hope this works for you!

--------------------
Ibs-d and fructose sensitive.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4072 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 888

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review