All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Question for women only!
      #93098 - 07/26/04 10:26 AM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

I just got back from the GYN, a new doctor since I just moved. I was telling her about IBS and she said that my uterus is really tilted, which can cause more problems with IBS. Has anyone else's doctor told them their uterus is really tilted forward?

Is there a study on why more women have IBS then men? Is it just hormonal? Maybe the uterus thing has something to do with it?

~Cara

--------------------
~Cara~

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question for women only! new
      #93102 - 07/26/04 10:38 AM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

Yes...mine is also tilted. But, so is my mothers, and she doesn't have IBS. I've just been told that it's generally genetic. When you think about it though, it does make sense how it would affect the IBS symptems. I would think the tilted uterus would put pressure on the colon. Do you also have bad menstrual cramps??

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

#93104 - 07/26/04 10:41 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I always figured that women have IBS more often than men because of the way we handle stress. I have nothing to back that up beyond the fact that every guy I know is really laid-back and hardly ever seems to stress about anything. Did you look over in the research library? I'm going to head over there for a look after I post this... now you have me curious.

I just went to the GYN last week (also a new GYN) and she said I'm perfectly normal - I take that to mean no tilting or anything like that either, in addition to the health aspect. I did tell her about my gastro problems, and she said it sounded like IBS (still another week till I go to the dr! gr!) but didn't make any note of my bits and pieces affecting it in any way.

I know... not helpful. Sorry!

PS - How are you feeling these days? Any better?

#93105 - 07/26/04 10:41 AM
Cara4503

Yep that's what she says - it puts pressure on the colon. YES - I have bad cramps. I started taking the pill years ago because of cramps, not sex. Now I've been off the pill for about half a year and I have the cramps really bad again.

--------------------
~Cara~

#93106 - 07/26/04 10:44 AM
ptillen

Reged: 06/27/04
Loc: Milwaukee WI

No kidding? I too have a "tipped uterus" (does that mean you can call me Tipper?) and I never thought to connect the two.
Hm. Right now I'm kinda bloating, but I can't decide whether it's IBS-bloat or PMS-bloat.
Sigh!
As my sister used to say, if it were a man's issue, there'd be telethons.

#93108 - 07/26/04 10:47 AM
Cara4503

Thanks Casey. No I haven't searched for it in the library, I should.

I'm feeling *ok* these days. Still having a lot of bad days, but I'm keeping a food journal now and trying to figure it out. That's the frustrating part, because it could be so much more than what I ate. I did a ton of crunches one day, and had D for 2 days after that...so I *think* that's what caused it, but who knows. I just know I won't do a stomach workout for a long time now! Boo hoo.

I'm going to start taking Zoloft tommorrow! I'm excited, but at the same time nervous about the side effects. Everyone says they will go away after a few days, but I'm still worried of course. This might be a rough week, but then hopefully things will start getting better. Thanks for asking! You're so nice!

It sounds like you are doing much better. I'm glad you're able to see some doctors now! That's great.

Thanks for the reply, even though your uterus isn't tilted. LOL. Dumb uterus. Maybe I can tilt it back somehow....haha....I'll see what my husband can do.

~Cara

--------------------
~Cara~

#93109 - 07/26/04 10:49 AM
RachelT

I wonder if the tilted uterus contributes to the menstrual cramping...I have them to the point of tears usually and the only thing that helps is ALOT of ibuprophen or some really good prescription drugs. (which tend to upset the IBS)
I've been off the pill now for just over a year, still really bad cramps. And yes, I was taking them well for 2 reasons actually. 1)I had a 6cm cyst removed from my left ovary in 1991 and 2)for cramps. Unfortunately the pill and I don't agree...I've taken 10 different kinds (over a period of 17 years, YUCK) and they all have adverse effects for me.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

#93111 - 07/26/04 10:53 AM
Cara4503

I have taken at least 10 differnet types of BC pills too!! None of them worked more than 2-3 months. SO frustrating.

I think that when I actually go back on BC, I'll do the shot, or the patch. See if those work...

Why are you off the pill? Are you trying to get pregnant?? We are, but so far no luck. However - my GYN just said that she doesn't think I am even ovulating, because my periods have been 50-60 days apart, and my temperature charts are showing no jumps at all. So - we might be onto something, and we're going to wait a month or so to make sure, and then start something new.

--------------------
~Cara~

Re: Question for women only!
      #93113 - 07/26/04 10:59 AM
RachelT

Oh yeah...been trying (off and on) since January. No luck yet!! Which I think is a good thing considering how sick I am now. Blah!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

Yeah!
      #93114 - 07/26/04 11:00 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Tell your husband to get right on that. Haha.

SO glad to hear you're doing better! The food thing has been the aggravating part for me, too. Even keeping a food journal didn't seem to be helping. What I finally had to do is narrow it down to a tiny handful of things that NEVER bother me - chicken, pasta, broth, peas, carrots, and Honeycomb - and then literally start adding things in ONE item a day. It's so tedious. But I guess it's better than being sick all the time.

Oh, and the funny thing? I did yoga for the first time and had an attack!! So it definitely could have been the workout. The only exercise I can tolerate right now is walking and a tiny tiny bit of stretching. Guess I should be embarassed about how out of shape I am, huh?

I'll keep my fingers crossed that the Zoloft doesn't give you too many side effects, and that it works well for ya.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 251 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12125

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review