All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Question for women only!
      #93098 - 07/26/04 10:26 AM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

I just got back from the GYN, a new doctor since I just moved. I was telling her about IBS and she said that my uterus is really tilted, which can cause more problems with IBS. Has anyone else's doctor told them their uterus is really tilted forward?

Is there a study on why more women have IBS then men? Is it just hormonal? Maybe the uterus thing has something to do with it?

~Cara

--------------------
~Cara~

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question for women only! new
      #93102 - 07/26/04 10:38 AM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

Yes...mine is also tilted. But, so is my mothers, and she doesn't have IBS. I've just been told that it's generally genetic. When you think about it though, it does make sense how it would affect the IBS symptems. I would think the tilted uterus would put pressure on the colon. Do you also have bad menstrual cramps??

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

#93104 - 07/26/04 10:41 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I always figured that women have IBS more often than men because of the way we handle stress. I have nothing to back that up beyond the fact that every guy I know is really laid-back and hardly ever seems to stress about anything. Did you look over in the research library? I'm going to head over there for a look after I post this... now you have me curious.

I just went to the GYN last week (also a new GYN) and she said I'm perfectly normal - I take that to mean no tilting or anything like that either, in addition to the health aspect. I did tell her about my gastro problems, and she said it sounded like IBS (still another week till I go to the dr! gr!) but didn't make any note of my bits and pieces affecting it in any way.

I know... not helpful. Sorry!

PS - How are you feeling these days? Any better?

#93105 - 07/26/04 10:41 AM
Cara4503

Yep that's what she says - it puts pressure on the colon. YES - I have bad cramps. I started taking the pill years ago because of cramps, not sex. Now I've been off the pill for about half a year and I have the cramps really bad again.

--------------------
~Cara~

#93106 - 07/26/04 10:44 AM
ptillen

Reged: 06/27/04
Loc: Milwaukee WI

No kidding? I too have a "tipped uterus" (does that mean you can call me Tipper?) and I never thought to connect the two.
Hm. Right now I'm kinda bloating, but I can't decide whether it's IBS-bloat or PMS-bloat.
Sigh!
As my sister used to say, if it were a man's issue, there'd be telethons.

#93108 - 07/26/04 10:47 AM
Cara4503

Thanks Casey. No I haven't searched for it in the library, I should.

I'm feeling *ok* these days. Still having a lot of bad days, but I'm keeping a food journal now and trying to figure it out. That's the frustrating part, because it could be so much more than what I ate. I did a ton of crunches one day, and had D for 2 days after that...so I *think* that's what caused it, but who knows. I just know I won't do a stomach workout for a long time now! Boo hoo.

I'm going to start taking Zoloft tommorrow! I'm excited, but at the same time nervous about the side effects. Everyone says they will go away after a few days, but I'm still worried of course. This might be a rough week, but then hopefully things will start getting better. Thanks for asking! You're so nice!

It sounds like you are doing much better. I'm glad you're able to see some doctors now! That's great.

Thanks for the reply, even though your uterus isn't tilted. LOL. Dumb uterus. Maybe I can tilt it back somehow....haha....I'll see what my husband can do.

~Cara

--------------------
~Cara~

#93109 - 07/26/04 10:49 AM
RachelT

I wonder if the tilted uterus contributes to the menstrual cramping...I have them to the point of tears usually and the only thing that helps is ALOT of ibuprophen or some really good prescription drugs. (which tend to upset the IBS)
I've been off the pill now for just over a year, still really bad cramps. And yes, I was taking them well for 2 reasons actually. 1)I had a 6cm cyst removed from my left ovary in 1991 and 2)for cramps. Unfortunately the pill and I don't agree...I've taken 10 different kinds (over a period of 17 years, YUCK) and they all have adverse effects for me.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

#93111 - 07/26/04 10:53 AM
Cara4503

I have taken at least 10 differnet types of BC pills too!! None of them worked more than 2-3 months. SO frustrating.

I think that when I actually go back on BC, I'll do the shot, or the patch. See if those work...

Why are you off the pill? Are you trying to get pregnant?? We are, but so far no luck. However - my GYN just said that she doesn't think I am even ovulating, because my periods have been 50-60 days apart, and my temperature charts are showing no jumps at all. So - we might be onto something, and we're going to wait a month or so to make sure, and then start something new.

--------------------
~Cara~

#93113 - 07/26/04 10:59 AM
RachelT

Oh yeah...been trying (off and on) since January. No luck yet!! Which I think is a good thing considering how sick I am now. Blah!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

Yeah! new
      #93114 - 07/26/04 11:00 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Tell your husband to get right on that. Haha.

SO glad to hear you're doing better! The food thing has been the aggravating part for me, too. Even keeping a food journal didn't seem to be helping. What I finally had to do is narrow it down to a tiny handful of things that NEVER bother me - chicken, pasta, broth, peas, carrots, and Honeycomb - and then literally start adding things in ONE item a day. It's so tedious. But I guess it's better than being sick all the time.

Oh, and the funny thing? I did yoga for the first time and had an attack!! So it definitely could have been the workout. The only exercise I can tolerate right now is walking and a tiny tiny bit of stretching. Guess I should be embarassed about how out of shape I am, huh?

I'll keep my fingers crossed that the Zoloft doesn't give you too many side effects, and that it works well for ya.

#93124 - 07/26/04 11:10 AM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

I, too, have a tipped uterus, but I've never had bad menstrual cramping, so there goes that theory, too.

No clear IBS connection, and no clear cramp connection, either. Good idea, though!

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

Uterus & Zoloft new
      #93131 - 07/26/04 11:37 AM
crampgirl

Reged: 02/23/04

When I had a uterus it wasn't tilted & I had IBS. I have been uterus free for several years now & still have IBS. Tilted may put pressure on the colon to exascerbate the IBS and so does adhesions from surgery I believe. Let me know how the Zoloft works for you & when it starts to work. My doctor put me on Zoloft 2 weeks ago for daily anxiety attacks. He started with 25mg for one week then 50 mg for the second week. I go back next week to evaluate it. I don't feel the dose is strong enough for me but it can make you nauseaus, at least it did me but I'm over that part now. I feel a little less anxious but not anywhere near where I had hoped. But then everyone is different.

Backwards Uterus?? new
      #93140 - 07/26/04 11:47 AM
FutureDoc

Reged: 04/02/04

Hi there! I have a backwards or retroverted uterus which I guess is the same thing. My uterus points towards my back instead of towards my stomach which means that it probably pushes on my colon. I have pretty painful periods too and I'm IBS-D with bad bloating and pain pretty much every day. Who knows if my uterus is contributing. Interesting.....

Re: Uterus & Zoloft new
      #93163 - 07/26/04 12:41 PM
Cara4503

Well I'm going to pick up the Zoloft right now. I'm starting on 25 mg too for a week, then 50. We'll see how it works. I'm not having attacks everyday, only at night - and not EVERY night. I hope it helps. I'll be posting about it I'm sure!

--------------------
~Cara~

Re: Backwards Uterus?? new
      #93166 - 07/26/04 12:43 PM
Cara4503

Yeah, from what it sounds like - having a tilted uterus just makes IBS symptoms a little worse? Or MAYBE....it's worse for IBS-D?
Does everyone with a tilted uterus have IBS-D??? I do.

--------------------
~Cara~

#93167 - 07/26/04 12:44 PM
Cara4503

Are you on birth control? When I was on birth control I didn't have bad cramping at all. I miss that.

--------------------
~Cara~

#93170 - 07/26/04 12:45 PM
Cara4503

That's how I feel. Maybe it's a good thing I didn't get pregnant. I want to figure myself out first! We are not going to try anymore - just if it happens, it happens. God has a plan...I'll just let him do his work!

--------------------
~Cara~

Tipper... new
      #93171 - 07/26/04 12:47 PM
Cara4503

LOL. Your sister is right....

Thanks for the response!

--------------------
~Cara~

Hey Becky!! new
      #93172 - 07/26/04 12:49 PM
Cara4503

I just realized we have the same quote! I love that quote

--------------------
~Cara~

#93186 - 07/26/04 02:14 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

Hey, Cara:

I am on birth control, but even when I wasn't, I didn't have cramps. I guess I've been lucky in that respect!

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

Re: Uterus & Zoloft new
      #93198 - 07/26/04 02:51 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

It can take several MONTHS for you to feel the full effects. Two weeks is not long enough to tell how it's working for you. When I was on it, the doctor only had me come in to see him once a month---sometimes every 2 months, because any sooner than that he said would be a waste of time in evaluating it.
You will gradually feel better, but don't expect it overnight.

Tilted uterus here too! new
      #93199 - 07/26/04 02:51 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

Sometimes doctors say if your uterus is tilted you will have trouble getting pregnant. Both my sister and I have tilted uteruses and we both had no trouble getting pregnant. Me twice! Anyway, interesting that alot of us have the uterus issue. I wonder if it is somehow related to IBS> I have a wonderful gyno and he's well aware of my IBS I think he might have mentioned that the IBS was from the tilted uterus. He never did though. I'm gonna have to ask him about it next check up!
He's been trying to get me to take the pill. He believes that it will maybe help my IBS cause my IBS is definitly hormonal related. I only flare up around ovulation and period time. I'm just leary on putting medications in my body. Especially hormones. My husband had a vasectomy so I really don't need to take birth control. I was on the pill when I was younger from like 19-24 years old. Made me wacky. Terrible anxiety. As soon as I stopped, I got much better.
I too have terrible cramps. I HAVE to take tylenol every 4 hrs faithfully and if I miss a dose, watch out!
You have plenty of time to get pregnant Cara. You were just married. Enjoy your married life for a few years. You'll never have the quietness and free life back again!!!!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Re: Tilted uterus here too! new
      #93206 - 07/26/04 03:06 PM
Cara4503

I had one doctor tell me I'd have a hard time getting pregnant, but he was a quack. I asked him how I'd get pregnant and he said, 'just turn around'. I left his office and found a new doctor.
All my other doctors said that a tilted uterus will not affect getting pregnant at ALL. So, that's good.

I have a feeling that having a tilted uterus just makes things a little worse for IBS. I know it's not a cause of IBS because not everyone has it. It is interesting though.

Anyways - I know we have all our lives to get pregnant....but everyone's different. We have been together for so long, getting married didn't change our relationship at all - I'm ready for some noise! By the time we have a baby (if I get pregnant right now) we'll have been married over 2 years. I'm one of those people who doesn't wnat to have kids late at all. I am young and in good shape now, and I want to be a young mom! I don't want to be 40 when my kids are young. No offense to anyone! It's just how I feel and what I've always wanted. Kids are my passion - if I'm around kids I'm happy. We are just really excited to have a baby! It'll happen when it's right.

Thanks for your post!
~Cara

--------------------
~Cara~

Re: Tilted uterus here too! new
      #93209 - 07/26/04 03:16 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

No offense taken! My goal was to have two children by the time I was 30 and I did! I could not imagine having one now at 37. Your energy level is so much less. People are doing it though and I say more power to them!
We dated 9 years before we got married. Then we waited about 3 years after we married to start a family. You sound very excited to become a mommy and that is so wonderful. You will make a good one I'm sure!
P.S. Getting married didn't change my relationship with my husband either. Having kids did though Not necessarily in a bad way. Just different. Your life becomes all about your kids when you have children. The husband gets kinda put on the back burner and vise versa. Again it's not a bad thing, it's just life changing!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Hey Cara!!! new
      #93224 - 07/26/04 03:49 PM
RachelT

I noticed that we have the same quote too. I also love it. It's just a really nice quote, don't you think?
Eric and I have only been married since January, but we have been together since 1998. That's 7 years. I'm very ready for kids, and he wants kids so bad he can't stand it. Every time he's out with a freind that has kids or one of his co-workers brings their children to work, that's all he talks about...literally. I LOVE my kitties (they are my kids) but, it's just not the same thing. Good luck to you and your hubby, keep me posted and I'll do the same!

P.S. I'm a C.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

Edited by BeckyT (07/26/04 03:50 PM)

Tilted here! new
      #93230 - 07/26/04 04:02 PM
####

Reged: 04/05/04

I am an IBS "C"...still tilted! new
      #93235 - 07/26/04 04:05 PM
####

Reged: 04/05/04

#93462 - 07/27/04 09:38 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

I'm tilted!

--AC

Re: Mine has been tilting since my teen years! -nt- new
      #93497 - 07/27/04 11:13 AM
Wookie

Reged: 04/01/04
Loc: n/a

--------------------
~Wookie

Re: I am IBSC and tilted -nt- new
      #93509 - 07/27/04 11:59 AM
Wookie

Reged: 04/01/04
Loc: n/a

--------------------
~Wookie

#93511 - 07/27/04 12:05 PM
Sweetd

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: NY

I was told the same thing.

--------------------
Ibs-d and fructose sensitive.

IBS-C and titlted -nt new
      #93517 - 07/27/04 12:25 PM
TammyLaurendi

Reged: 09/16/03
Loc: Western New York

--------------------
Peace,
Tammy

Sister's is tilted----and she has no IBS----nt---- new
      #93550 - 07/27/04 01:58 PM
BL

Cara, how you doing? new
      #93551 - 07/27/04 02:00 PM
BL

with the Zoloft? Don't freak out if you have D the first several days. That's your body adjusting to it. Keep it up and the side effects will pass.

Gotta be patient. I hope it helps you~

Zoloft new
      #93556 - 07/27/04 02:08 PM
crampgirl

I had D only the second day and nausea for a while but hang in there, it will go away. Best of luck to you.

#93559 - 07/27/04 02:12 PM
Tina7269

Reged: 07/27/04
Loc: Buffalo, N.Y.

I always knew mine was tilted, but I didn't know it can cause more problems with IBS.
Tina

--------------------
~~ Tina ~~
For With God Nothing Shall Be Impossible
Luke 1:37

Thanks for asking!.... new
      #93647 - 07/27/04 05:54 PM
Cara4503

I took it last night for the first time, and oh man I had D this morning. No pain really - just D. I also have dry mouth, and I've been nausous tonight a little. I'm scared to take another dose tonight. I'm going to keep believing all of you that these symptoms go away! I hope they don't last too much longer. Although - they will probably start over again when I up the dose next week - won't they??

I hope this Zoloft helps overall!
Thanks for asking about me I really appreciate it!
~Cara

--------------------
~Cara~

Re: Thanks for asking!.... new
      #93650 - 07/27/04 06:21 PM
crampgirl

To be totally honest I was nauseus for two weeks but that doesn't mean you will be. I also had decreased appetite but that is probably from the nausea. The dry mouth is something that you get used to and maybe isn't as bad later. The D only happened the one time and didn't happen to me when I upped the dose.

#93654 - 07/27/04 06:35 PM
BL

No, no, no, Cara, don't give up yet! Your body has to adjust ot it. I remember being alarmed by the D and calling the doctor and him telling me to give it a few days---and it did go away.
Anytime you take a medicine, your body has to get used to it being in your system.
And no, I don't think you will have to go through this again when you up the dose. At least, in my case, I didn't. It was just at the very beginning.
Hang in there! I want a report from you every day.

#93748 - 07/28/04 06:07 AM
Cara4503

I won't give up...I'm just hoping it goes away soon. I actually feel better this morning than I did yesterday morning, so that's good. I can handle everything but the nausea - that really gets to me. I have ginger ready!

I wish it didn't take so long for these meds to really work. I really hope this helps with my anxiety.

Thanks for your replies!

--------------------
~Cara~

#93855 - 07/28/04 10:14 AM
sherr1

Reged: 10/07/03
Loc: Southern, Calif

First Of all Hi Everyone!!
Haven't been on for a while. Boy I missed much..
I have tilted U too. It's not as tilted since I gave birth to my last child 9 years ago. I too have the cramping and increased sensations around the time of the month.
You know my mom had one also for years and IBS A and she now doeasn't suffer from the U because she doesn't have it any more. So I beleive it goes hand in hand someway.
Sherri

Re: Question for Cara new
      #93868 - 07/28/04 10:55 AM
Cathie

Reged: 06/21/04

I am IBS-A mostly C and have had several gyno's tell me that my U was tilted. One replied, Wow! That is way back there! Kind of makes you wonder! You might be on to something Cara.

Cara,
I also noticed that you mentioned that you get your period late each month. Did this start to happend after taking the pill. I used to get mine every 29 days like clockwork and now that I am off of the pill it comes like every 35-39 days. Prior to the pill I was regular as well. I do get really bad pain around that time of the month.

Re: Question for Cara new
      #93869 - 07/28/04 11:03 AM
Cara4503

Hi Cathie!

I had an irregular period before I even started the pill...but when I was on the pill it was like clockwork. Now that I'm off, I have been going between 42-56 days! My doctor said that for the first 6 months of going off the pill, your period can be messed up (come early or late), she said under 40 days is fine for that time.
I have been off the pill now for a little longer than that, and my period cycles are over 40 days.
There's a chance I'm not ovulating I guess...or it could just be stress (we just closed on our first house and moved and all).

Anyways, does that answer your question? I think around 35 days is fine. Are you concerned about it? You could always just call your doctor and ask.

~Cara

--------------------
~Cara~

Re: Tilted too! Hmmm.... very strange... new
      #93987 - 07/28/04 04:08 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Holy crap! Tiled too. What the heck? What kind of twilight zone is this? Hmmm..

#93992 - 07/28/04 04:14 PM
merangue

Reged: 07/28/04
Loc: chilliwack, b.c

I just went to a GYN, and they never told me if I had a tilted u or not. They most they told me is I have a 'pristine pelvis', which just means healthy, though they did say that perhaps in some instances it wasn't tilting -enough-.

As for the abnormal periods thing: I get mine on schedule, though they are irregular, 1-2 days bleeding, 1 day none, and 1 last day bleeding. I get cramps and nausea that are independant from the IBS cramping, and it generally feels like I am being punched in the stomach. I have however noticed increased sensitivity during my periods o_0

It'd be quite odd if it were all somehow tied together, and nobody had ever thought of it.

--------------------
Falling from heaven isn't nearly as painful as surviving the fall.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1685 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12151

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review