Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
My Endoscopy update and results!
      #9305 - 05/18/03 08:00 AM
GEA

Reged: 04/06/03
Loc: San Diego, CA

Hi All!

It's been a while since I posted here. I have been through a lot the last couple of weeks, but I'm trying to get back to reading all the posts.
I just thought you would want to know the latest with my endoscopy. I had a harder time recovering from it than the colonoscopy for some reason... I was sore from the tissue samples that the Doctor took, I guess.
I had been tested for H. Pylori before with a blood test and it came back negative. But H. pylori came back positive! I was surprised. I started on high antibiotics, like 2500mg a day, and Aciphex. I felt a lot better right away. I could eat things without getting sick! I have been so happy about that.. cause just about everything I ate made me sick. I think that H. pylori was really giving me all kinds of problems!
I had no celiac, cancer, or ulcers, thankfully. He said that I had a lot of acid and that it was inflamed. I asked him if maybe that was it, and maybe I didn't have IBS(?) and he said no, you have IBS. Oh well, I was hoping!
So, I am surprised about this H. Pylori thing and if you have had the blood test come back negative, it's still possible that you could have it.
I have to go get some probiotics today. I will finish the antibiotic course on Monday. So I want to get the good bacteria going again.
I appreciate this board and all of your great posts and helpful information!

--------------------
~GEA~

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: My Endoscopy update and results! new
      #9310 - 05/18/03 12:27 PM
kcj44

Reged: 03/23/03
Loc: Elk Grove, CA

I'm glad to hear you are feeling better. May I ask, what is H. Pylori? I have never heard of it.

Thanks, Karen

Re: My Endoscopy update and results!-villi new
      #9313 - 05/18/03 12:38 PM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

Gea,
I am so glad your endoscopy went well and you are feeling much better. My endoscopy went fine too, but i have no idea what i was tested for! All I know is that my doc said I had a flattened villi (what the heck?!) I also had lots of mucas and acid. I wish i knew if i was tested for celiacs or not. Can someone tell me what a flattened villi means?

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

Re: My Endoscopy update and results! new
      #9317 - 05/18/03 01:08 PM
GEA

Thanks, Karen,
I should have explained what H. pylori is. It's called helicobacter pylori and this is the 'bug' that is really responsible for people developing ulcers. I have done a lot of research on the net and found that it is a nasty little bug. They don't know how one gets it. They say maybe bad water but they don't really know. I have always drank bottled water, so I doubt it. I also found out that the condition 'roseacha'(sp) or whatever it's called where people break out with a red rash on their cheeks... Well h. pylori causes that too. I have had adult acne for quite a few years and it is already getting better!
Thanks again,

--------------------
~GEA~

#9318 - 05/18/03 01:09 PM
britsarah

Reged: 02/16/03
Loc: United Kingdom

Hi Angela,
Villi are small finger like things that line your digestive system and help your food to be absorbed, because they increase the surface area of your gut. If they are flattened, obviously nutrients aren't going to absorbed as well.
I hope I remembered that right, I learnt it in school a long time ago LOL !
Sarah

--------------------
Sarah

Looking for inspiration...

#9319 - 05/18/03 01:19 PM
GEA

Hi Angela,
Thanks for your reply! From everything I have read on the net, a flat villi means Celiac disease. Celiac disease inhibits the villi and that is what happens, it just flattens it! Look it up and you can find information on it.
They certainly should have checked you for Celiac when you had your endoscopy!

--------------------
~GEA~

Re: Gea & Sarah new
      #9323 - 05/18/03 02:12 PM
ConcreteAngel

Thanks guys for filling me in on the villi thing. I think its pretty screwed up that my doc told me that i had a flattened villi but didnt bother to take the time to tell me what that meant But, oh well, I have an appt. with her May 29th, so i'll def. ask her then. Im also gonna ask her for a diff med, this Levsin just isnt cuttin' it.
Thanks Again Guys!

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

Angela new
      #9332 - 05/18/03 04:42 PM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

Angela: It sounds like you very possibly are Celiac and you will not need a medication at all as you just have to avoid gluten and all wheat products. Many times oat is also a culprit, and modified food starch, and and and.......the list is very long and detailed. If your endoscopy biopsy shows celiac, you'll be on the celiac board learning about what obscure foods contain gluten. You won't have IBS at least.......k

Re: Angela-Karin new
      #9333 - 05/18/03 05:12 PM
ConcreteAngel

hey Karin, thanks for your response and your concern. I am now very confused though, because i know my doc confirmed that i my villi was flattened, also i know she took biopsies. If she took biopsies, wouldnt she have checked for celiacs? I had this test done in January of this year and i think if she suspected or have even actually tested for celiacs, she wouldve told me. Im def. gonna ask her about it, and ill make sure to update you. Thanks!

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

Edited by ConcreteAngel (05/18/03 05:13 PM)

Re: Angela-Karin new
      #9335 - 05/18/03 06:22 PM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

Yes that's the main thing they check for with a endoscopy biopsy. Your doctor should have told you all of this, checking for celiac was the first thing he told me when I set up my endoscopy. My doctor's office called with the results before my follow up office visit, maybe yours will also. That way you could do some research and ask questions pertaining to your exact test results.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 170 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9883

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review