All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Anyone on The Patch?
      #91458 - 07/19/04 07:35 AM
abby82

Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: Nevada

I was just wondering if any of you are on the Ortho Evra Patch or have tried it before? Im supposed to start it today and I keep putting it off. Im a big baby when it comes to trying new things like this, I always worry about the side effects ESPECIALLY since I already have all the IBS problems. Anyways I AM going to put it on in a few hours I just wanted to hear someones experience with it I guess! Thank you!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anyone on The Patch? new
      #91463 - 07/19/04 07:45 AM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

Abby,
I have been on the Ortho Evra patch for alittle over two years (hard to remember exactly)
It is the only birth control that has not given me severe side effects and I love it.
The ONLY probelm I have with it is that you get a gross dirt ring around it from the adhesive. Since you can put it under your clothing, that doesn't really matter, though.
It doesn't seem to affect my IBS at all, and it makes my periods more regular.
I hope that you have as good luck as I have had! It is definately not as harsh as other birth control, so it is at least worth a shot.

--------------------
-Sheri

#91464 - 07/19/04 07:47 AM
Ang

Reged: 09/22/03

Abby,
I've been on the patch for almost a year now. I love it! And I can be sure it is working, since it directly goes to your bloodstream. I read that the pills aren't as effective if you have D. I really haven't noticed any problems that come from wearing the patch.. Good luck!

Re: Thank you! new
      #91484 - 07/19/04 09:57 AM
abby82

Thank you so much for your replies. It definitely makes me feel a lot better about trying it today. Glad to hear that it hasnt made IBS worse for you guys! Thanks again!

The Patch new
      #91605 - 07/19/04 03:54 PM
jules05

Reged: 11/03/03
Loc: ON, Canada

Hey,
I just started the patch 3 weeks ago and so far its been fine. I've been on the pill and the depo provera shot and i had side effects from both of them so i thought i'd try the patch. I just stick it on my bum (hehe sorry for the image) but i don't like it showing and in that place, even in my bikini, no one can see it! Cause it does get black around the patch which doesn't look very nice. Hope it all goes well with you, good luck!
Julie

#91643 - 07/19/04 07:20 PM
MKE32

Reged: 03/11/04
Loc: Alberta, Canada

I've been on the patch for about 8 months now, mostly for the convenience, but also as I was intrigued by the possibility of it easing my IBS symptoms. So far, so good. My symptoms seemed to have eased of late (I'm IBS-C), system's more regular, and periods were a bit heavier for the first couple months, but then back to my regular light flow.

The only little surprise I had with it is that be careful if you soak in a warm bath or hot tub or something, it WILL soak off. I put a Tegaderm patch overtop if I plan on spending time in the water, and that seems to solve it if you put it on first. Other than that (and the sticky edge factor), I've been very happy, and hope you are too!

--------------------
Every cloud has a silver lining!

Re: The Patch *DELETED* new
      #91647 - 07/19/04 07:28 PM
whatever10303

Reged: 07/19/04
Loc: PA, USA

Post deleted by whatever10303

--------------------
The desire accomplished is sweet to the soul.
Proverbs 13:19

Re: The Patch new
      #91663 - 07/19/04 08:18 PM
abby82

Im glad everyone has had such good experiences with it - I put my first one on today and so far so good! Thank you so much for all your help it made me feel so much better. I hope mine will ease my IBS like it did for some of you! Thanks again

#92091 - 07/21/04 11:41 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I'm bumping this up again - first of all, abby, to see how you're doing on it so far, and second to see if anyone else will respond. I just got the Ortho Evra patch too, and I'm not supposed to start it for about another week and a half, and I'm already nervous about it. Haha. I'm worried about side effects in general (not just IBS symptoms worsening), because (believe it or not!) this is the first time I've ever been on a hormone birth control. I have so many problems with nausea already, I'm really worried it's going to get even worse.

Re: Casey new
      #92129 - 07/21/04 01:37 PM
abby82

Hey Casey - I was exactly like you about starting the patch. This is my first time ever being on Birth Control too. I actually have had the patches since May but chickened out 2 months in a row! I worry over EVERYTHING especially when it comes to stuff like this - I hate wondering if I will get all the awful side effects. Anyways I almost put it off for another month this time too but then after reading a few of the posts on here that I got I just sucked it up and stuck it on. I sat and worried about what would happen for a minute - then I called my husband and he told me to put in a movie and not to think of it. So anyways I took his advice and ended up not getting a single side effect from it - Ive had it on for 3 days now and feel completely normal. I actually have felt a little bit better than usual. I have heard nothing but good things so far from everyone I talk to also so I would definitely give it a try. Just stick in a movie or something like that right after you put it on and keep your mind off of it! I know thats a lot easier said then done but it worked for me! Good luck!

This makes me feel so much better! new
      #92131 - 07/21/04 01:43 PM
atomic rose

Thank you! When it comes time for me to start it, I will do exactly what you suggested. It definitely helps that everyone on here is so positive about it, that's what made me think to ask about it in the first place - it wasn't until I had to sign all these waivers in the office that said that I understand about all the side effects and whatnot that I started to get nervous! Anyway, thank you again - and I'm so glad to hear it's working out so well for you, too!

For Abby and Casey: new
      #92136 - 07/21/04 02:02 PM
Sheri01

There is an added benefit to the patch- you will, for the most part, know the EXACT day, and time you will get your period! I know that has been a great benefit to me. I take it off on the third Sunday, and by Tueday night I have it. This helps for my IBS by being able to take my Librax and Midol Menstrual pain relievers BEFORE the pain starts, and I don't get as sick.
I also know ahead of time to take my "plainer" foods to work with me for lunch, and don't get stuck with a bunch of stuff I can't eat during the day.
Good luck to both of you!

--------------------
-Sheri

Re: The Pill/Patch new
      #92143 - 07/21/04 02:25 PM
Niki J

Reged: 07/20/04
Loc: UK

Hi All
I am new to the IBS boards. I've found your conversation on the patch really interesting. I am currently on the pill and have been thinking of coming off it for a while now but wasnt sure what alternative would be best for me.

I was wondering if anyone here has been on the combined pill and found it to affect their IBS??
Also if anyone has switched from the pill to the patch and found it a lot better for IBS and or other reasons?
Thanks
Niki
xxx

#92144 - 07/21/04 02:34 PM
atomic rose

Hi Niki, and welcome!

I've never been on the pill, so I can't answer your question, but in case it takes a while for someone who *can* answer to post a reply, I thought I'd ask if you'd tried searching the boards for past information on the specific pill you're taking right now. It's no guarantee, but it might pop up some quick information and experiences while you're waiting. I know there are some bc pills that people have said are much better for IBS sufferers, but I don't know which ones they are off the top of my head.

#92171 - 07/21/04 06:42 PM
Sweetd

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: NY

I am on the pill and I only had side effects for the first couple of months. I had a couple of hot flashes and I felt alittle nauseous every now and then. It went away and I never had them again. It wasn't bad at all.

--------------------
Ibs-d and fructose sensitive.

Re: For Abby and Casey: new
      #92194 - 07/21/04 08:00 PM
abby82

That definitely is a plus to know when its coming for sure. I was wondering about that - I read that the first one may not come when its supposed to, Did yours come when it was supposed to the first time you took the patch off? Have you noticed if its helped with cramps at all? I was hoping it would - I get AWFUL cramps on my first day that I can barely handle. Thanks for all your help!

#92195 - 07/21/04 08:04 PM
MKE32

Reged: 03/11/04
Loc: Alberta, Canada

I know this wasn't specifically addressed to me, but I found that the first month I spotted a bit (NOT normal for me, as a bc pill user prior), the second month a bit less, by the third month things were clock-work, taking the patch off on Saturday mornings and period arriving by monday aft. I'm afraid I can't comment on the cramps issue, as this is not an issue for me. Best of luck with it all!

--------------------
Every cloud has a silver lining!

#92199 - 07/21/04 08:16 PM
Sheri01

Sorry about your hope for the cramps- I still get them horribly. Today was a BAD day
It took like a month or two to get on a regular schedule, I beleive, it is hard to remember. I was only late by one day once since I started it. Sometimes it'll come a little earlier in the day, but usually I will get it at about the same time of night. By time the patch goes back on, it is gone by the next day. That is the best part for me, because I could never remember to eat the pill and was always on BC shots, like depo and others. They would make me have my period for at least two weeks at a time.
I guese it'll just take alittle bit for your body to find its new norm with it.

--------------------
-Sheri

#92228 - 07/22/04 07:11 AM
Debby

Reged: 11/05/03
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

I love my birth control! Okay maybe I'm getting too excited about it but recently I started taking my birth control pill for 3 months straight without getting my period. Basically I get to skip all kinds of pain and horrible stomach pain and I don't have to think about my period or worrying about when I'm going to get it (besides every 3 months). I would usually get so sick when I got my period, it messed up my social life when I was feeling so terrible. My doctor said I can take my pills a max of 3 months in a row before going to the placebo pill.

I've not tried the patch just b/c I can't complain about the pill and it doesn't bother my stomach unless I take it when I haven't had anything to eat in a few hours.

#92272 - 07/22/04 09:19 AM
Niki J

Reged: 07/20/04
Loc: UK

Thanks, I will do that!
Niki
xxx

#92459 - 07/22/04 10:37 PM
teethcleaner

Reged: 07/04/04
Loc: California

Hey atomic rose! I was on the patch for like 6 or more months and I tried the ring, and 4 other types of birth control pills all of them made me sick some people it doesn't bother them but I am one that just can't take hormones! On the patch I was sick to my stomach at least one day a week and the first patch of the month I would usually throw up I'm not saying this to scare you just to tell ya that different people have different reactions you should try it and see. Oh don't know if you will see this as a benefit or not but if you want bigger boobs birth control will do that!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4758 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4353

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review