All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Has anyone tried accupuncture?
      #9134 - 05/15/03 12:48 PM
kenneth

Reged: 05/05/03
Loc: Toronto Canada

I have found out that my insurance covers 80% of accupuncture treatment... so I've decided to give it a shot. I talked with the practisioner yesterday on the phone. Not only has he treated IBS with accupuncture before, but he himself has been treated for IBS with accupuncture! I found this quite encouraging! I'm wondering if anyone else has done this?
ken

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Has anyone tried accupuncture? new
      #9135 - 05/15/03 12:55 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

That's awesome!!!

I've never tried it...but I say go for it! Let us know how it goes for you! Heather mentions it in her book First Year...do you have the book...and I'd def. give it a try if I could! Enjoy!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#9136 - 05/15/03 01:11 PM
Jay

Reged: 05/15/03
Loc: Washington State

I have been going to an acupuncturist for the last 7 months. While my condition doesn't have a cure, the therapist is working on the stress, and anxiety associated with the colitis. It has helped my attitude, my stress level, and made me more able to handle the stress of UC.

Jay

#9149 - 05/15/03 04:17 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

No, but I'm really interested to know how it goes! I've heard it can really help! Good luck. Let us know if it works.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

yes new
      #9181 - 05/16/03 06:21 AM
mmacrobbie

Reged: 02/12/03

i started accupunture over a year ago, and between that and the dietary change in heather's books, i feel like my old self! make sure your accupunturist talks to you about a schedule of how long he/she thinks it will take for you to feel better. i started going 2x's a month, then monthly, then every 2 months, finally i go for seasonal changes (new allergies, ect.) or if i find my self really stressed out and can't get my tummy under control with diet. it doesn't hurt, and helps you really focus on yourself by pinpointing exactly where it hurts, what could be a stressor/trigger, and forcing you to relax for treatment period. it is very relaxing, and you will find how much everything around you has some effect on your tummy (for us, others it could be headaches, etc.)....as you can tell i can't say enough about it, since i believe that both (treatment/dietary changes) saved my life, by giving me a chance to live life again. if needles bother people you can try accupressure which focuses on the same points way but with touch. hope this helps your decision to go for it!

exploring eastern medicine... new
      #9257 - 05/16/03 04:47 PM
kenneth

Reged: 05/05/03
Loc: Toronto Canada

Thanks for the advice. My first apt is May 26. I'm very open to Eastern medicine as Western medicine has done nothing for me... (like so many on this board know too well). When you say accupuncture helps you realize what the problem areas are, do you mean that those areas feel differently when they put the needles in? How does this help you? I really believe in treating the body as an integrated system instead of throwing drugs at it like my MD did. Through diet and excersise I've been able to get off the antispasmodics and I'm hoping accupuncture will help me with the remaining 20%....

Re: exploring eastern medicine... new
      #9831 - 05/23/03 06:02 PM
mmacrobbie

Reged: 02/12/03

Sorry for a delayed response, we have been on vacation. What I mean about pin pointing pain, I mean through an examine that they do on troubled areas (tummy) and other areas that in Eastern medicine would also be affected. Basically the yin and yang of your body. For me I didn't realize that stress effected your lungs as much. By doing the examine (mine called it palpatations), taking your pulse and asking questions about how you feel/any symptom changes, was able to treat the area causing the most problems. The needles use will probably not be placed on the trouble spot itself but on the points on your body. Sorry if this is more confusing than helpful. Hope your appointment goes well.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3206 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 922

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review