All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
D everyday for the last week! Is this more than IBS?
      #91208 - 07/17/04 07:45 PM
emma-lee

Reged: 05/20/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hey Everyone,
I'm still a little new to this, butI find that being on here has helped me A LOT. Now here's my problem.

For the last week I have had D every day. I can't keep anything in anymore. But, I don't have severe stomach pains. However, I am taking Dicetel which is an anti-spasmodic medicine.

Is this more than IBS? Is it safe to take Pepto every day? Am I alone?

--------------------
Em*

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: D everyday for the last week! Is this more than IBS? new
      #91212 - 07/17/04 08:10 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Well, it *could* be more than IBS... have you been to your doctor recently? Have you had an official IBS diagnosis? Are you eating the "what to eat when you can't eat anything" diet with no cheats? (Forgive me if you've mentioned it before... I have a lousy memory. )

You're not alone, anyway. At my worst, I had D every day. I never had any pain other than a little cramping, and I wasn't on an antispasmodic. Everyone's symptoms seem to be just a little different.

I *think* it's safe to take pepto every day. Have you ever tried Imodium? I've found that to work a lot better than Pepto.

Hang in there, and I hope you feel better soon!

welcome to the boards. you're not alone. new
      #91227 - 07/17/04 11:14 PM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

i had diarrhea every day for months and months. seriously, i did! in fact, i would go to the bathroom sometimes up to 10 or more times before noon!

have you started the diet? have you cut out all the triggers? that's really important. and then make sure you're slowly adding a soluble fiber supplement. i had to go REALLY slow, like 1/2 tsp once a day for a few weeks, then 1/2 twice a day for a few weeks, etc...

it took me quite a while to convince myself to give up coffee and sodas, but once i did that i noticed a great improvement, too. do you have any triggers you're holding on too tightly to?

just to let you know, it can get better. i've only had diarrhea twice since December now that i'm doing all of the stuff Heather's books advise.

hang in there and keep posting!

--------------------

#91307 - 07/18/04 01:19 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi Emily,

Yes, I have been there before, too. Immodium helps my "D" more than pepto....although pepto does help my nausea.

Once I had a 2 week period of a lot of "D" not too much cramping and couldn't figure it out. Finally I realized that I was chewing several sticks of trident gum each day and it has SORBITOL in it. Stopped the gum and was fine.
Another time I had "D" and found out that mannitol was in my vitamin.

Another trigger for me is High Fructose Corn Syrup.

Try to eat safe foods for a while and see if that helps.

Unfortunately, reading labels and keeping a food diary has become a way of life for me. We have to be food detectives to figure this whole thing out...and even then there are times we still can't figure it out.

Barbie

--------------------

#91345 - 07/18/04 04:30 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I've had weeks like that and I asked my doctor about them. He said yes, it's normal for IBS and to take Imodium.

Re: welcome to the boards. you're not alone. new
      #91346 - 07/18/04 04:32 PM
Sara-Sage

Wow, you're doing so well. I'd love to have 'd' that few times. Did you find that the fibre made it worse or worked right away at keeping your 'd' at bay?

hi, S-S. new
      #91383 - 07/18/04 07:37 PM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

fiber made things worse for a few days every time i uppped the dose. i think it was a combo of things that ultimately helped, frankly. yes, the acacia helped, but so did cutting every single trigger, the heating pads, the fennel tea, the hypno CDs, the yoga poses, eating every few hours, lots of pauses through the day to deep breathe and relax, getting some sun and exercise, lots of water...

it was really a combination of things.

oh, and i want to add:
i think having a positive attitude really helped. i just sat down one day and really thought it over and was so pissed at this IBS that i decided i wasn't letting it win. i implemented all the possible helpful things i'd learned from this site and from talking to people on the boards and i made sure i thought only in positive terms as much as possible. instead of "ow, my stomach hurts, that shooting pain is evil" i thought "wow, there's a shooting pain but i haven't had one for 30 minutes so that's good. a 30 minute pain-free break is nice." stuff like that. i'm not saying that alone helped, but i found that i could tolerate stuff a lot better by twisting the negatives into positives all day long. it became a habit like all the other stuff i was doing and then one day i realized i hadn't had D in weeks and that i hadn't had a shooting pain in months and that i hadn't been bloated and painful for days. it was nice.

--------------------

Edited by jenX (07/18/04 07:41 PM)

#91461 - 07/19/04 07:43 AM
Sweetypie

Reged: 07/12/04

Hi Emily,

When I was on Dicetel I had D for the first few weeks. If you continue to get it, you might want to ask your dr to decrese the amount.

sp

#91482 - 07/19/04 09:46 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

web page Here's the link for the page "what to eat when you can't eat anything." Try this for a day (MAXIMUM 2) and then go from there. It should with lots of peppermint tea ease the diarrhea. Then try adding veggies etc. and some plain chicken back in. Go for cooked, peeled, mashed and pureed for a while when looking at fruits and veggies. Start adding foods back in slowly.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Thanks Jen new
      #91727 - 07/20/04 06:25 AM
Sara-Sage

Well after reading your reply I have once again started taking acacia. I stopped when I thought it was making my 'd' worse but that's so untrue. A month later after stopping it my 'd' is just as bad.

About the second half of your message. You are so completely right about having a positive attitude. I have always noticed that in all your posts. I tend to be more negative and maybe dwell on the bad things lately. Maybe it affects my emotions and anxiety levels. I do try as much as possible to not let IBS rule my life.

Anyhow, it was nice reading that as it was a reminder not to get so down in the dumps about my health. Thanks Jen.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7532 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1655

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review