All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
New Advice From My Naturopath
      #9109 - 05/15/03 10:16 AM
Wolfie

Reged: 05/06/03

Hi all. For everyone intersted, I went to see the doc today, and he put me on two new supplements that he believes will help to alleviate my digestive woes. The first is a plant-source digestive enzyme, and the other is a chewable wafer of soluble fiber. The ingredients are FOS from Jerusalem artichokes, and oat bran. And they are vanilla flavored! I filled the order at an online pharmacy, and can't wait until they get here. I'm excited.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: New Advice From My Naturopath new
      #9180 - 05/16/03 06:05 AM
BarbBT

Reged: 04/05/03
Loc: Chicago suburb, IL

Hi Wolfie,
I'm intruiged by the soluble fiber wafers. Maybe I'm dense, but what is "FOS" from Jerusalem artichokes?

You wrote that you ordered the wafers from an online pharmacy. Which one did you use, and what are the wafers called?

I'm presently taking digestive enzymes that I'm very pleased with, but the idea of taking wafers made of natural ingredients appeals to me.

Thanks,
Barb

#9184 - 05/16/03 06:37 AM
tnchawk

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: New Ken, PA

I am interested to learn what products you use and where you get them from. I also see a naturopath/pharmacist and he has me on a plant based digestive enzyme which has been great! I know that the FOS is very beneficial to people with IBS as the "good" bacteria feed off of it! You can also get the FOS from using Stevia as a natural sweetener....jsut and FYI for anyone interested!

Christianne

--------------------
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about???

#9188 - 05/16/03 06:59 AM
BarbBT

Hi Christianne,
I take a digestive enzyme called Azeo-Pangen from Metagenics. According to the blurb, it's a: "comprehensive enzyme complex that helps promote digestive function. The raw pancreatic enzyme concentrate supplies proteases that break down protein, amylase that break down carbohydrate, and lipases that break down fat. Because Azeo-Pangen is made with whole, raw pancreas, it also supplies peptidases, nucleases, and elastases." (<--whatever that means!)

I have never heard of "FOS," but I use Stevia all the time!

Thanks for the info,
Barb

#9189 - 05/16/03 07:14 AM
tnchawk

WOW! That is a mouthful of stuff ( so to speak! ) I have been using Stevia for awhile now and the only thing I've noticed is that it is POTENT! I only need a little bit to sweeten my beverages! But, apparently it is very good for digestion, so that is a plus!

--------------------

#9191 - 05/16/03 07:22 AM
wac

Reged: 03/24/03
Loc: Casselberry, FL

These digestive enzymes that you all mention - where do you get them and what are they called? I've heard they also help with gas.

#9192 - 05/16/03 07:32 AM
tnchawk

I got mine from my naturopath/pharmacist. You can get good quality types at health food stores and from www.vitaminshoppe.com. They provide you with the digetive enzymes that your body can't produce ( or produces small quantities of) that help break down proteins, etc. They should help with gas as they will help you digest more effectively. Just be sure to take them right before or at the start of a meal. They are not as effective after the food has entered your tummy. Hope this helps.

--------------------

#9196 - 05/16/03 08:00 AM
Wolfie

Reged: 05/06/03

My digestive enzymes are Tyler Similase. I take the regular Similase, but they have a formula with Beano in it, too. The fiber is called PhytoPharmica Fiber Delights. I bought both at RiteCare.com. Both products are offered at my doc's, but they are much cheaper at RiteCare, even with the shipping charges. The fiber comes in two flavors - chocolate and vanilla.

Re: New Advice From My Naturopath-Thanks! -nt- new
      #9198 - 05/16/03 08:14 AM
tnchawk

--------------------

Re: New Advice From My Naturopath-fiber wafers new
      #9201 - 05/16/03 09:39 AM
BarbBT

Do you know if the fiber in the wafers is soluble fiber? I was using packets of Stevia with fiber, and found that they were a trigger for me. (Stevia without the fiber is no problem.)

Have you started taking the wafers?

Thanks,
Barb

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4665 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4604

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review