All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
acid tummy
      #90326 - 07/15/04 08:49 AM
Neeta

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hi folks, I haven't posted for a long time, been battling with my IBS! I used to have mainly the bloating thing happening but now I have major acid reflux. It doesn't seem to change whatever I do. My doc has put me on the new drug (can't remember the name) z something, that has helped with the bloating but not the acid. Even the peppermint tea and fennel teas are not sitting too well. Does anyone have any suggestions? Neeta

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: acid tummy new
      #90360 - 07/15/04 09:52 AM
raindew01

Reged: 07/07/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario - Canada.

Sorry you're having that problem. I know from reading some of the posts on the board(and bits out of the book) that for people with acid reflux, peppermint does not help, may make things worse. You might want to stick to chamomile tea, fennel, etc.

Might also want to do a search on the board, see if you come up with anything. I'm pretty new here myself, but I'll bet it's been discussed before.

hope that helps.

chamomile new
      #90374 - 07/15/04 10:10 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Neeta, I've been having problems with acid reflux lately and am planning on seeing my doc about it soon, so I know how you feel!! Have you tried chamomile tea? When I'm feeling acidy I avoid peppermint. Chamomile is also an antispasmodic, but unlike peppermint it doesn't affect those with GERD! Good luck!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Re: chamomile new
      #90381 - 07/15/04 10:20 AM
Neeta

thanks for replying. I have kept away from peppermint, tried fennel instead, that didn't sit too well. Will try chamomile. Miserable isn't it. Do you feel like you want to keep eating all the time? Neeta

#90394 - 07/15/04 10:35 AM
ibsgrl

Reged: 04/18/04
Loc: Canada

when you mentioned you feel like "eating all the time" it popped into my mind that your symptoms are very similar to those of an ulcer. A burning, gnawing feeling in the stomach and wanting to eat to make it go away. Maybe it would do you good to have an abdominal ultrasound?

#90713 - 07/16/04 06:41 AM
Neeta

Thanks for the advice, yep I actually go and have a scope of my tummy done Aug. 9th. I feel it is an ulcer too. I am taking Nexium (a drug which helps) thing is I don't like taking meds., so haven't been taking it properly. Just this a.m. I read that there is a specific way to take these things and I went OOPS should read those instructions! Anyway, the doc. also said take tums etc. in the meantime too. That helps a little. I can only eat white stuff, I can't tolerate any fruit (how dull) and my weight is skyrocketing! Misery. How one loses weight in this condition I do not know. Oh well, enough venting. Neeta.

#90823 - 07/16/04 09:56 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Just wanted to mention the over the counter remedies such as Mylanta or Maalox. And stay away from citrus, tomato, coffee and alcohol.

Feel better!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#90859 - 07/16/04 11:17 AM
Neeta

thanks for that, I bought some tums yesterday and they seemed to help a bit. I will try Maalox. Neeta

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 492 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1404

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review