All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Re: Speaking of pickles...and Umeboshi new
      #198563 - 07/22/05 10:46 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Isn't Umeboshi what the girls on America's Next Top Model had to eat, and they all thought it was gross? People can be such babies about trying new things! I had been wondering exactly what they were eating ever since I saw that episode. I bet pickled plums are yummy! I'm Lebanese and we eat pickled beets, and they are so yummy.

As far as regular pickles go (pickled cucumbers), I'd say treat them like any other IF veggie. I personally went to the ER after deciding that I could eat an entire cucumber. But, I keep a jar of sliced kosher dills in the fridge, and I eat a couple after a good SF base whenever I want.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Speaking of pickles...and Umeboshi new
      #198572 - 07/22/05 11:15 AM
maikko

Reged: 05/30/05
Loc: maryland

lol--yes, i remember that "top model" episode The resaon is that umeboshi are very sour! Tasty with rice though. I have seen them in Maryland, DC, NY, and Boston, so they are on this coast too!
Isn't the vinegar properties of a pickle supposed to be very good for you anyhow? I wonder...

--------------------
--maikko
IBS-A, mostly C-- many foods intolerant

Re: Too much water....or not enough salt/minerals? new
      #198709 - 07/22/05 06:48 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I agree. Too much water can "wash you out." It can screw up your gastric juices/dilute you too much (sodium/chloride levels and electrolytes get unbalanced which is dangerous!).

I drink unreconstituted organic veg. broth and use tons of sea salt. The veg. broth has at least 4 times more sodium than the Gatorade. I literally eat salt and feel a lot better now.

So, I take all with more than a tsp. of salt. I love pickling my own fruit, too.

Re: I love those things!--n.t. new
      #198711 - 07/22/05 06:50 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Re: Heather - (I Was Drinking Too Much Water?!) new
      #199195 - 07/25/05 02:12 PM

Unregistered

Heather - could you please comment on this topic - I am finding it difficult to equate what I have been told by many people about drinking water (and yourself).
I feel that this is a very important topic and would hate newbies to be put off.
Hoping you have time to comment.
Thanks. Judith

Re: I Was Drinking Too Much Water new
      #199235 - 07/25/05 03:52 PM
AndrewL

Reged: 02/20/05

Dear Hearts;
I have chronic sinitus-with the meds I'm on,if I DON'T drink 1-2 gallons of water a day,I get heart palpatations.But that post made me think:I still find it VERY difficult to believe that too much water is the cause of IBS symptoms in anyone.Drinking too much water,to my knowledge as a biochemistry major,is only a problem when consumed faster then the kidneys can process it.Data to the contrary has not been consistently produced in the lab to date to my knowledge.Anyone want to add anything to this?
Sincerely,
Andrew L.

Tap water new
      #199329 - 07/26/05 12:14 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I know some people with IBS are really sensitive to different tap waters (which presumably is what the guy who started this thread was talking about). And that's reasonable as they do differ and do have "stuff" in there. I'd say that if he'd switched to mineral water, he'd have been fine.

Not enough water will make C worse and can cause D. Don't go there. It is very important for some people (like me) to keep their electrolyte intake up as well tho. But that's just drinking water PLUS not less water.

Hmm, I have low blood pressure and bloating too new
      #199408 - 07/26/05 08:54 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I eat everything "salt free", like canned veggies, pretzels...and never add salt to any recipe or eat salty foods like pretzels. I thought the salt would increase my already intense bloat problem.

AC, are you saying that salt would actually help the bloat if I have low blood pressure? I would love to get my salty foods back!

How low was your BP? How much water do you dink? This is fascinating!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Is Tab water okay to drink? new
      #199410 - 07/26/05 08:57 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

We don't have a water dispenser at work (cheap place) so I drink tap water all day. Can't really afford the bottled water all day.

Do most of you drink bottled water or have a water filtration system in your homes? Do you think it makes a difference in IBS symptoms?

Thanks

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

I'll be darned...I have low blood pressure too. I had no idea...~nt~ new
      #199425 - 07/26/05 09:34 AM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1631 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11864

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review