Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Re: Don't be sorry Janey! new
      #90458 - 07/15/04 01:11 PM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

Kelly,

I am glad that you were able to eat finally. Does you Doc have any idea what is wrong and why you are in so much pain?

Thank you for being understanding. The worriers that most of us are, I thought about this and worried all last night.

I will keep you in my thoughts and hope that you are feeling better.

Janey

--------------------
Janey

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#90460 - 07/15/04 01:23 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hey Janey,

No, that's the worst part. My doc has no clue, he just said that if they don't get me eating we're going to have even more problems so that's why they went with something so strong.

I need a GI doc but the wait times are long, I've finally got an appointment for the 29th of this month, so they figured two weeks with the percocets wouldn't be too bad.

From what I've been told, they're thinking possibly Crohn's and maybe some gallbladder involvement. I also have bad endometriosis, so any cramping "down there" is usually made worse by that.

Thanks for your concern, I'm sorry you were worried
Kelly

Re: Confused ... doc gave me percocets (oxycodone). new
      #90471 - 07/15/04 02:06 PM
KellyAndersson

Reged: 03/24/04
Loc: N.California

WELL, I'm going to go against the tide here and put in a few good words for oxycodone, which is basically codeine.

Because I've had four kids and more than a dozen surgeries over the last 30 years, I've had more than a little experience with pain meds. Most of them don't do me any good at ALL -- I don't make endorphins like a normal person, so what annoys someone else a little puts me in SEVERE pain. Most other meds make me feel dopey and confused and don't really do much of anything to relieve pain. Codeine, however, is my friend -- I feel completely fine and the pain GOES AWAY.

Last February in the hospital I was on several different meds and was having a lot of trouble; it got to the point where I could gulp a double dose and just felt psychotic and still really hurting. One very cool nurse asked my doc to switch me to Norco, which I'd never heard of. It's a lot more codeine and a lot less ibuprofen, and it worked miracles.

Now yes, the stuff can be addictive, or habit-forming, but it's not like cocaine or something. You don't want to chug this stuff all day and all night and keep at it. But that's not the point for pain management -- the point is to get you some relief FOR A WHILE, and it's very good for that. They say constipation is a negative side effect, well ha ha ha on that, not for me it's not. It helps control diarrhea, which I don't consider a negative side effect !!

I guess the point I'm trying to make here is that (a) you shouldn't panic about its habit-forming potential -- the fact you're aware of it means it likely won't be a problem for you -- and EVERYONE'S DIFFERENT. Other people may have serious trouble with it. But I have serious trouble with other pain meds that work great for other folks.

It's like diet or any other kind of prescription medication -- what works for one person doesn't work for someone else. The key here is to pay close attention to how it works or doesn't work for YOU, and keep in close touch with both your doc and your pharmacist on your situation. If it works well for you, fine, take it. If it isn't working, then get them to fix you up with an alternative that does work.

#90475 - 07/15/04 02:18 PM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

Kelly,

I had endometriosis so I know exactly what you are going through. It is very painful. I am glad that you got an appt. with the GI doc. Hopefuly he will be able to figure out what is wrong.

Janey

--------------------
Janey

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 335 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2701

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review