All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Heat!!!
      #89635 - 07/13/04 10:21 PM
abby82

Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: Nevada

I remember reading a few posts that summer heat can cause attacks. Does this mean the actual heat is the problem or just the fact that it stresses people out which can cause an attack?? The past few weeks it has gotten REALLY hot here and I havent been feeling as good as I have been in the last couple of months and it seems like it was around this time last year that I got sick a lot also. But I dont think the heat stresses me out at all so I was just wondering!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Heat!!! new
      #89647 - 07/14/04 01:54 AM
leslierf

Reged: 10/11/03
Loc: Tucson, Arizona

With me, it is the actual heat. I keep the AC cranked up all summer. If humidity gets too high, it makes it even worse.
Hubby and I are trying to figure out how to move to a cooler climate.

#89722 - 07/14/04 07:23 AM
jeenerz

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Northwest Montana

YES! YES! YES! Heat can make ibs worse--or at least it does me. I'm an avid walker, biker etc. and have found since my ibs has flared up in the last couple of years, that I cannot tolerate the heat very well anymore. We took our career age SS class to an amusement park last summer and I waited in line in the heat for an hour for a ride and boy! did I get the attack of my life--lasted for 2 days. So stay out of the heat as much as possible

heat and "stress" new
      #89736 - 07/14/04 07:46 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

hey there.

ok, i think there's some general confusion about the term "stress." you're not the only one, by the way!

stress is actually a physical state. it is your body's reaction to life, really. it can come from things outside the body or internal things including mental stuff. so you can get stressed because you broke your leg, you can get stressed because you have a big test coming up, you can get stressed at the thought of kissing a cute bartender! stress comes from lots of things. what it means physically is that your body goes through chemical changes, some of which may be obvious like increased pulse and rapid breathing. but it's not always that obvious at all!

heat is a definite stressor. it doesn't mean that you're all stressed-out in your head, worrying about the heat, etc.. like you may be about the test or the cute bartender! it just means that your body finds the heat (or other stressor) to be an abnormal state and it goes into some sort of defense mechanism because of that. in IBS, our intestines either start contracting too fast or they slow to almost a stop. why? who knows!? if you find out, let us know.

anyway, many of us have wonky reactions to heat. i sure do! in fact, my worst attacks have always been when i've overheated. ridiculous! apparently i'm a delicate little flower. who knew!?

hope some of this helps. now go get in the shade and have a big glass of water!

--------------------

#89740 - 07/14/04 07:51 AM
raindew01

Reged: 07/07/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario - Canada.

I was just reading one of Heather's books, and she says that heat, and humidity, definitely have an effect on IBS. So you're right on, thinking that.

#89865 - 07/14/04 10:07 AM
abby82

Wow - I didnt realize that heat had that big of an effect on IBS, guess Vegas isnt the best place for me to be living then huh! Thank you for all your suggestions, unfortunately I dont think I can just pick up and move so until then Ill have to figure something else out! Thanks again for all your responses!

Abby new
      #89877 - 07/14/04 10:25 AM
ibsgrl

Reged: 04/18/04
Loc: Canada

You live in Vegas? So are you going to the Fall Sprawl???!

Re: Abby new
      #89983 - 07/14/04 01:21 PM
abby82

Ya Im plannin on it! Are you going?

thanks for the good post Jen- nt new
      #90012 - 07/14/04 02:00 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#90628 - 07/15/04 08:12 PM
Sweetd

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: NY

I thought it was just me. I have ibs attacks in the heat. My ibs flares up and I head from the b.r.

--------------------
Ibs-d and fructose sensitive.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3188 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 981

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review