All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Antibiotic substitute...help!
      #8915 - 05/13/03 06:57 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I'm sick, yet again, this year with an infection and if I go to the doc. they'll just prescribe an antibiotic! I have heard there are herbal supplmemnts you can use in place of antibiotics--does anyone know anything about this? My tummy can't take it anymore--in the past 9 months I've had antibiotics 7 or 8 times!!!! HELP!

Thanks!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Antibiotic substitute...help! new
      #8916 - 05/13/03 07:11 AM
danie

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: NYC

Ruchie,
Why are you being prescribed so many antibiotics? Is this for sore throats etc. or do you need them for other illnesses? If it's for a sore throat, I use echinacea (in liquid form, non alcoholic)it works wonders for the immune system. Remember when taking any antibiotics always take acidophilous supplements.

#8917 - 05/13/03 07:13 AM
Snow for Sarala

I had strep throat 5 times this year, sinus infections, and bronchitus! This time it seems I have bronchitus The docs always give antibiotics for these infections! I am sick of antibiotics as you can imagine! I also take echinacea and I'm still trying to replenish the bacteria I've lost from all the antibiotics I've taken. Any other advice? Thanks so much danie!!!!!!!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#8918 - 05/13/03 07:16 AM
Lorna

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Ruchie,

Just wondering if you had any luck finding a naturopath? When I first went to mine, one of the first questions he asked was how often I had taken antiobiotics throughout my life. He then prescribed acidophilus (I read in your earlier post that you can't have this because it contains some type of enzyme) however, they may be able to help you determine why you are in so much pain and they may be able to prescribe an herbal supplement for you to take that is easier on your digestive system than acidophilus. I HIGHLY recommend that you try to find a naturopath. Mine did wonders for me.

If I needed to find a naturopath that was also a medical doctor, I would look up (in Alberta) the Alberta College of Physicians and Surgeons on the internet. They list all the doctors practicing in Alberta. I don't know what the governing body is in your area, but if you can find out, I think it would definitely be worth a shot!

Good luck Ruchie! I hope you figure everything out and start feeling better soon!

--------------------
Lorna

Re: Antibiotic substitute...help! LORNA new
      #8921 - 05/13/03 07:38 AM
Snow for Sarala

Lorna,

My hubby is skeptical of naturopaths--but he agrees--no more antibiotics!

I was taking probiotics--but it has maltodextrin (corn) which I'm intolertant to. I am hoping to find a different probiotic without maltodextrin in it tonight. Are there any other herbs that are good for colds/bronchitus that you know of? Thanks SO MUCH Lorna--you've been VERY helpful (hopefully one day I'll convince my hubby)! Thanks again

(((big hugs)))

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#8922 - 05/13/03 07:41 AM
tnchawk

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: New Ken, PA

I have a feeling that all of your infections are due to food allergies; they usually show up in forms of bronchial infections. You need to stop the antibiotics; they will do you more harm than good after awhile! You probably need to go on a "detox" to clean your system out from all the bad stuff in there! I would, again, recommend a naturopath, nutritionist or even a Chiropractor who works with supplements. Your immune system is probably so whacked out from the stress of all the antibiotics that you need professional help to straighten it out. There is a product on the website that I told you about before (www.askrph3.com) called Bowel Detox. It cleans out all of the "bad stuff" you have in there. I have been taking it with a product called Florastor ( from the same website) and I have been feeling pretty good. I am sure that there is someone that is local to you that can help. Good luck!

Christianne

--------------------
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about???

#8923 - 05/13/03 07:47 AM
tnchawk

I agree with the other posts about Echineaca. Also Zinc is very good for infections. You need to make sure that you have a quality Probiotic; some have SO MANY fillers. You should also tell your husband that conventional dr's don't seem to be helping you much; so what would it hurt to try somone that is NATURAL! They can't do any more harm than you've already been through and will probably help. I don't mean to "dis" your husband, I just know that it wouldn't hurt to try! Good luck!

-Christianne

--------------------

Re: Antibiotic substitute...help! TNCHAWK new
      #8924 - 05/13/03 07:47 AM
Snow for Sarala

I haven't had antibiotics in several months now--I'm trying right now to avoid taking them again! I took probiotics for a while--I stopped two days ago when I realized it's not all in my head that they were upsetting me (they have maltodextrin--corn--which is a prob for me), so I plan to find a maltodextrin free probiotic tonight!

I have eliminated gluten from my diet and most sugar. I only get dairy from the Ensure I'm drinking (casein--no lactose) and I know there are problems for me with the Ensure--but without it I'll end up on an IV from malnutrition! What's a gal to do? I am taking Echinacea right now and getting tons of vitamins from the Ensure! Any other recommendations? My hubby is skeptical of naturopaths--that's why I haven't gone--I'm trying to convince him (we really don't have the money right now). When I prepared for my colonoscopy I assume I cleansed my bowels? That was about 2 months ago. I REALLY appreciate your help--I wish a naturopath were an option right now........

Thanks again
(((big hugs)))

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#8926 - 05/13/03 07:51 AM
tnchawk

What happens with the antibiotics is that they can stay in your system for YEARS! I was on alot of them as a child ( about 20yrs ago) and my nutritionist still put me on the Bowel Detox. They can imbed themselves in your intestines and a standard colonoscopy cleaning probably didn't get them all. And they will live off of the good bacteria, so you have to still supplement with some sort of probiotic. ( Can you eat any type of yogurts?) Anyway, I understand your situation with finances; it is not cheap. Some insurances will cover certain "alternative" therapies, so you might look into that. I know that insurance will cover chiropractic, and that has been a HUGE help for me. You might look into that as an option. I hope that I don't sound redundant; I just want to help you feel better. Again, good luck!

-Christianne

--------------------

#8929 - 05/13/03 07:58 AM
Snow for Sarala

You are not redundant!!

I can't have yogurt No dairy allowed! And no soy. I hear ya...and I've talked to my hubby about colon cleansing...and no worries, you're not dissing him! I do understand where he's coming from--my health is import. to him...and right now our finances are tied because we plan to move and live off my salary alone next year so my husband can go to Yeshiva! So any money spent is carefully scrutinized! I wish I had experience with a naturopath so it wasn't something new being put on the table. If you have any links or know anyone in Boston that's had good experiences and can PERSONALLY recommend someone, that might ease his worries! I think it's just the idea that there's a big ? there...we don't have any experience!

I will try talking to him again though and I send him these posts at hi office e-mail...hopefully if enoiugh folks post about positive experiences with naturopaths he'll give in (Either way I love him)!!!

hope you're doing well...what did the detox include for you?

Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!

Love,
Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Detox new
      #8937 - 05/13/03 08:37 AM
tnchawk

Well, I am currently on a diet where I can have no bread,soy, pasta, cereals, dairy,rice, chips, potatoes, sugar or startchy items. I can have unlimited fruit, veggies( except for root veggies) lean meats, eggs, fish, nuts, some cheeses, yogurts and cottage cheese. It is very difficult but I only have a week left and really have had no major attacks! It has been amazing! I have been taking a liver detox and the 2 other supplements that I mentioned previously. The pharmacist ( who is also a certified nutritionist) was very helpful. He recommended a book called "Breaking the Vicious Cycle" by Elaine Gottschalk. You may want to look into that. It is a defined carb diet for people with digestive issues. I know that there is a website with recipes on it, but you have to buy the book ( or get it from the library) to see the actual diet plan. I have not lost any major amounts of weight either; so it is not like an Atkins thing. The website is www.scdrecipe.com. They also have a message board and info. You might look into something like that if your funds are limited. I know how you feel; I do everything I can for myself before I succumb to a professional. ( Which is probably not the smartest thing! ) I hope that all of my infor has been helpful. This is just what has worked for me; I know that everyone is different. I wish you all the best and will keep you in my prayers.
Love,
Christianne

--------------------

#8946 - 05/13/03 10:27 AM
Lorna

If you're looking for a quality probiotic, go to the health food store and look for ones that are good for vegans to take. I don't know if they have maltodextrin in them, but I'll check my bottle at home tonight and let you know. The brand I have is Genestra and it is the brand recommended by my naturopath. He also sells it from his office so it's handy for me to buy.

I can't say I blame your hubby about being skeptical. Mine is the same. When he heard I was going to a naturopath he said "Is he like the guys Kramer goes to?" (Kramer from Seinfeld, went to a naturopath - took George with him and George turned purple - funny episode ).

As for further herbs that help with bronchitis, colds etc., I agree with Christianne about the echanacea (sp??). I've also heard that fennel reduces the amount of mucous in the throat, but I don't know how reliable my source was. I have a loose tea that I brew when I feel a cold coming on. It is a combination of lemongrass, orange peel, fennel and ginger. The tea house that I bought it from swears by it and it does make me feel better!!

Huge hugs back!!!

--------------------
Lorna

#8947 - 05/13/03 10:49 AM
danie

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: NYC

Ruchie,
You have to take individual supplements to get ALOT of vitamins, Ensure will not do it. I take TWINLAB brand (just because they make supplements I use in capsule form, very quickly absorbed and digested).
I take:
DAILY ONE CAPS (WITHOUT IRON, iron constipates)it's a high potency multiple vitamin with some minerals and beta carotene (the safe form of Vitamin A).
B-50 or B-100 COMPLEX
MULTI MINERALS
CALCIUM CITRATE (quick acting) the least constipating that I've found
TRI-BORON 3mg (tiny capsules) help body absorb calcium
These are the least you should be on to give you some nutrients that are lacking due to dietary restrictions. Look around, Twinlab, discounts their vitamins in many health food stores. For ex., Calcium Citrate 250 capsules $11.95.
When I get a severe sore throat, I usually wind up with bronchitis and then on antibiotics. I recently had it and tried the echinacea in a new way, took it every hour and it worked. Sore throat was gone in one day, cold in two days and I never developed bronchitis. I wanted to experiment on myself and it really worked since I knew my doctor wouldn't give me antibiotics for just a sore throat. By the way, if you have hay fever, do not take echinacea. It's in the ragweed family.
Hope this info helps.

#8978 - 05/13/03 12:41 PM
Wolfie

Reged: 05/06/03

There is an all-purpose herbal antibacterial called Goldenseal. I'd find a local herb shop with competent help and ask them about it. It may be just what you need, or you may not be able to take it with your other concerns. It worked for my son's ear infection. I hope this helps. I'm fortunate enough to have an integrative wellness center on my insurance plan. They have both MD's and naturopaths on staff, and they consult with each other on their cases.

#8981 - 05/13/03 12:48 PM
Snow for Sarala

Wolfie,

Thanks SO MUCH!!!!! So, your doctor and naturopath converse about patients like a partnership? That's wonderful! Do you know of anything like that in Boston or where I would look/how I would search to find such a thing in Boston, MA USA? (I don't know where you're from--but if you have any connections/association with Boston that would be a great help to me)! I'll let you know how things go for me--thanks again! How's your son's ear ache--I used to get the WORST ear infections as a kid!! The good news is, thakn G-d, I grew out of it!!!! Hope he's doing well--and that you are too!

(((hugs)))

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#8983 - 05/13/03 12:51 PM
Wolfie

I'm in Atlanta. I's check in the Yellow Pages under "integrative medicine". Jojo hans't had another ear infection since. I've also been taking him to a chiropractor when I go. The chirpractic adjustments seem to calm down my digestive system. He says it helps to correct the malfunctioning nerve signals that he believes aggravate, if not cause, IBS.

#8984 - 05/13/03 12:53 PM
Snow for Sarala

Thanks! I'm SO GLAD your son is better! That's so cool that you're in Atlanta--do you go to Krogers? My grandparents live there--it's a nice place! They live in Decatur, have you heard of it? I'm def. considering a naturopath--I'll take your advice on where to search if I decide to go for it. Thanks bunches!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#8987 - 05/13/03 01:16 PM
Wolfie

Decatur is about a hour and a half from my house. My cousin lives there. We do have Krogers, but I'm partial to Publix, which is strictly in the South. Have you tried lookin gup Goldenseal on Dr. Weil's website? It's www.drweil.com. He has a ton of information on natural remedies.

#9010 - 05/13/03 08:29 PM
Lorna

Ruchie,

My acidophilus is from Genestra Brands and this is what it says on the bottle: "Guaranteed to contain no added sucrose, starch, salt, preservatives, artificial colours, flavours or additives; or any corn, wheat, yeast, soy, dairy or animal by-products. Ideal for vegans."

I also didn't mention in my previous posts about naturopaths that my first visit to mine was free. Since most people have to pay for their naturopathic visits I think some of them offer their services for free on your first visit. It's worth a try to call and see. If you only go for one free visit, it's better than none, right?

Good luck!!!

--------------------
Lorna

#9022 - 05/14/03 05:29 AM
Snow for Sarala

WOW! Thanks SO MUCH for ALL this terrificly helpful info.!!!! The acidopilus you're on sounds amazing----and if I can get to a naturopath for free here in the States, that would be PERFECT! I'm gonna look into it...I'll def. keep you posted. Thanks a MILLION Lorna!!!!!

(((((hugs)))))

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Antibiotic substitute...help-Free Advice new
      #9029 - 05/14/03 06:20 AM
tnchawk

Ruchie; I know that you are probably tired of hearing this, but you can get the Pharmacists from www.askrph3.com to give you advice via email for free. You just have to send them a "basic" question or two and they will respond to you. It won't be very detailed, but if you have a pressing matter, I am sure they will help you the best they can. Look into it!Good luck!
-Christianne

--------------------

#9031 - 05/14/03 06:27 AM
Snow for Sarala

I thought you had to PAY for even a quick question or two! You may have mentioned this earlier--the webcite looks familair--but I must have missed the part that said FREE! LOL I'm not at ALL tired of hearing something I never even heard before! I'm so glad you decided to bring this up again...or I never would have even known! Thank you SO MUCH for not being afraid to repeat yourself--I really appreciate the info.! (Especially reading stuff on the cite, we miss things here and there! I try to re-read things--but sometimes I might still miss info...I'm not a very visual person. I am truly glad you decided to bring this info. up again)!

((((big hugs)))

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#9032 - 05/14/03 06:43 AM
tnchawk

No problem; happy to help! I know that before I signed up for their program, I sent them LOTS of emails. They have a radio show weekly where they answer lots of questions, and that is free. So I guess the email is kind of like the same thing. Just go to the area where it says contact us, and pick a pharmacist's email. THey should get back to you in a day or so...By the way, you said that you are in or near Boston. Can you get WEZE 590 AM? They broadcast their show up there Saturday Mornings at 8am! They are so great! You could call when they are on and speak to them in person! That would be EVEN better! Hope this helps!
((Hugs back))

Christianne

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1188 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4325

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review