All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Antibiotic substitute...help!
      #8915 - 05/13/03 06:57 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I'm sick, yet again, this year with an infection and if I go to the doc. they'll just prescribe an antibiotic! I have heard there are herbal supplmemnts you can use in place of antibiotics--does anyone know anything about this? My tummy can't take it anymore--in the past 9 months I've had antibiotics 7 or 8 times!!!! HELP!

Thanks!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Antibiotic substitute...help! new
      #8916 - 05/13/03 07:11 AM
danie

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: NYC

Ruchie,
Why are you being prescribed so many antibiotics? Is this for sore throats etc. or do you need them for other illnesses? If it's for a sore throat, I use echinacea (in liquid form, non alcoholic)it works wonders for the immune system. Remember when taking any antibiotics always take acidophilous supplements.

#8917 - 05/13/03 07:13 AM
Snow for Sarala

I had strep throat 5 times this year, sinus infections, and bronchitus! This time it seems I have bronchitus The docs always give antibiotics for these infections! I am sick of antibiotics as you can imagine! I also take echinacea and I'm still trying to replenish the bacteria I've lost from all the antibiotics I've taken. Any other advice? Thanks so much danie!!!!!!!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#8918 - 05/13/03 07:16 AM
Lorna

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Ruchie,

Just wondering if you had any luck finding a naturopath? When I first went to mine, one of the first questions he asked was how often I had taken antiobiotics throughout my life. He then prescribed acidophilus (I read in your earlier post that you can't have this because it contains some type of enzyme) however, they may be able to help you determine why you are in so much pain and they may be able to prescribe an herbal supplement for you to take that is easier on your digestive system than acidophilus. I HIGHLY recommend that you try to find a naturopath. Mine did wonders for me.

If I needed to find a naturopath that was also a medical doctor, I would look up (in Alberta) the Alberta College of Physicians and Surgeons on the internet. They list all the doctors practicing in Alberta. I don't know what the governing body is in your area, but if you can find out, I think it would definitely be worth a shot!

Good luck Ruchie! I hope you figure everything out and start feeling better soon!

--------------------
Lorna

Re: Antibiotic substitute...help! LORNA new
      #8921 - 05/13/03 07:38 AM
Snow for Sarala

Lorna,

My hubby is skeptical of naturopaths--but he agrees--no more antibiotics!

I was taking probiotics--but it has maltodextrin (corn) which I'm intolertant to. I am hoping to find a different probiotic without maltodextrin in it tonight. Are there any other herbs that are good for colds/bronchitus that you know of? Thanks SO MUCH Lorna--you've been VERY helpful (hopefully one day I'll convince my hubby)! Thanks again

(((big hugs)))

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#8922 - 05/13/03 07:41 AM
tnchawk

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: New Ken, PA

I have a feeling that all of your infections are due to food allergies; they usually show up in forms of bronchial infections. You need to stop the antibiotics; they will do you more harm than good after awhile! You probably need to go on a "detox" to clean your system out from all the bad stuff in there! I would, again, recommend a naturopath, nutritionist or even a Chiropractor who works with supplements. Your immune system is probably so whacked out from the stress of all the antibiotics that you need professional help to straighten it out. There is a product on the website that I told you about before (www.askrph3.com) called Bowel Detox. It cleans out all of the "bad stuff" you have in there. I have been taking it with a product called Florastor ( from the same website) and I have been feeling pretty good. I am sure that there is someone that is local to you that can help. Good luck!

Christianne

--------------------
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about???

Re: Antibiotic substitute...help! LORNA new
      #8923 - 05/13/03 07:47 AM
tnchawk

I agree with the other posts about Echineaca. Also Zinc is very good for infections. You need to make sure that you have a quality Probiotic; some have SO MANY fillers. You should also tell your husband that conventional dr's don't seem to be helping you much; so what would it hurt to try somone that is NATURAL! They can't do any more harm than you've already been through and will probably help. I don't mean to "dis" your husband, I just know that it wouldn't hurt to try! Good luck!

-Christianne

--------------------

Re: Antibiotic substitute...help! TNCHAWK new
      #8924 - 05/13/03 07:47 AM
Snow for Sarala

I haven't had antibiotics in several months now--I'm trying right now to avoid taking them again! I took probiotics for a while--I stopped two days ago when I realized it's not all in my head that they were upsetting me (they have maltodextrin--corn--which is a prob for me), so I plan to find a maltodextrin free probiotic tonight!

I have eliminated gluten from my diet and most sugar. I only get dairy from the Ensure I'm drinking (casein--no lactose) and I know there are problems for me with the Ensure--but without it I'll end up on an IV from malnutrition! What's a gal to do? I am taking Echinacea right now and getting tons of vitamins from the Ensure! Any other recommendations? My hubby is skeptical of naturopaths--that's why I haven't gone--I'm trying to convince him (we really don't have the money right now). When I prepared for my colonoscopy I assume I cleansed my bowels? That was about 2 months ago. I REALLY appreciate your help--I wish a naturopath were an option right now........

Thanks again
(((big hugs)))

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#8926 - 05/13/03 07:51 AM
tnchawk

What happens with the antibiotics is that they can stay in your system for YEARS! I was on alot of them as a child ( about 20yrs ago) and my nutritionist still put me on the Bowel Detox. They can imbed themselves in your intestines and a standard colonoscopy cleaning probably didn't get them all. And they will live off of the good bacteria, so you have to still supplement with some sort of probiotic. ( Can you eat any type of yogurts?) Anyway, I understand your situation with finances; it is not cheap. Some insurances will cover certain "alternative" therapies, so you might look into that. I know that insurance will cover chiropractic, and that has been a HUGE help for me. You might look into that as an option. I hope that I don't sound redundant; I just want to help you feel better. Again, good luck!

-Christianne

--------------------

#8929 - 05/13/03 07:58 AM
Snow for Sarala

You are not redundant!!

I can't have yogurt No dairy allowed! And no soy. I hear ya...and I've talked to my hubby about colon cleansing...and no worries, you're not dissing him! I do understand where he's coming from--my health is import. to him...and right now our finances are tied because we plan to move and live off my salary alone next year so my husband can go to Yeshiva! So any money spent is carefully scrutinized! I wish I had experience with a naturopath so it wasn't something new being put on the table. If you have any links or know anyone in Boston that's had good experiences and can PERSONALLY recommend someone, that might ease his worries! I think it's just the idea that there's a big ? there...we don't have any experience!

I will try talking to him again though and I send him these posts at hi office e-mail...hopefully if enoiugh folks post about positive experiences with naturopaths he'll give in (Either way I love him)!!!

hope you're doing well...what did the detox include for you?

Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!

Love,
Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 464 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4320

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review