Reged: 03/20/04
Loc: USA

Post deleted by Jeano

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Hehe... new
      #88767 - 07/11/04 02:41 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

It was me who posted about the color of soy milk. I found it really disturbing that it was brown. I'm much happier sticking with my rice milk, thanks - at least it looks like milk! (It tastes better, too, but that's just me.)

I wish I could help you with the other stuff, but I haven't been able to find Rice Dream ice cream anywhere, even at our health food store. I've also never seen a non-soy butter alternative. There are rice cheeses out there, but all I can get here is mozzarella (in slices). If you ask at the health food store, they might be able to help - I'm sure they know of stuff I don't. Personally, I'm scared to death of dairy - even fat-free - so I'd sooner go completely without than try the fat-free stuff again.

Good luck, Shelby!

Re: Hehe... *DELETED* new
      #88769 - 07/11/04 03:01 PM
Jeano

Post deleted by Jeano

Rice Milk new
      #88829 - 07/11/04 05:58 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Hi again Shelby,

I'm glad you found Rice Dream beverage to be even more pleasant than the soy. I'll bet you really DID get bug eyed when you found out so many things had soy in them. Can you just imagine the poor people who have severe allergic reactions to soy? Those are the ones I feel truely sorry for. You may have to get your HFS to order the Rice Dream Ice cream. A lot of stores are hesitant because they have a minimum number of one item they have to order. You may ask about that, and if you agree to take so many they may be willing to order it for you. I just had to do that with sorghum flour since I eat GF. The store HAD to order 4, and I agreed to take 2 right off the bat and even pre-pay if she wanted. It always pays to get REAL friendly with the HFS owner...........they'll do things for you they'd not do for anyone else.

As far as subs for cheese and butter........well, I suggest you try a little rice cheese. You may not find it that bad. For butter I just sub with Pam cooking spray (say when I want something to stick to a rice cake or piece of toast) or sub oil instead, in recipes.

As far as pizza goes...........try making your own......you'd be surprised how good a nice tender thick crust is with tons of fresh veggies and a good sauce. You won't even miss the cheese. Wish there was a rice Parmesan sub to sprinkle on top but I haven't found one yet. If I do, I'll let you know.

BTW, don't be afraid of using almond milk as well......it has a great taste. Oat milk has that yucky color but it thickens up in cooking where the others won't. I happen to like Pacific brands of rice, oat and almond beverages the best.

Good luck to you..."normal" is comming.................(I hope )

Kandee

--------------------

Re: Rice Milk new
      #88855 - 07/11/04 08:10 PM
jonsie57

Reged: 06/08/04
Loc: dallas, texas

Hi
Just my 2 cents worth. The Rice dream milk is okay,but I use silk soy plain.I hope that's okay to use. Yes it is brown but I personally prefer the taste as it seems more creamy to me...As for the Rice Dreams Ice Creams, I buy mine here at Kroger. They have a decent natural foods dept.Not a whole lot but I buy my soy yogur there. As far as cheese is concerned, do y'all not use the veggie cheeses? They do have shredded besides the sliced ones. They have mozarella, but I have not found the parm one...anyway that's just my 2 cents worth.

Re: Rice Milk *DELETED* new
      #88857 - 07/11/04 08:17 PM
Jeano

Post deleted by Jeano

rice milk...rice cheese....rice cream cheese new
      #88858 - 07/11/04 08:18 PM
####

Reged: 04/05/04

I love rice cheese and cream cheese...the rice parmesan was sick but I use the rice cheese and cream cheese all of the time. I buy mine at Central Market in Houston, TX. I am sure that they have it at Whole Foods too.

Rice butter! new
      #88861 - 07/11/04 08:23 PM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

I found rice butter at Whole Foods (my HFS) last week! I was so surprised...I found rice sour cream as well (for a recipe). The company that makes it is Soyco Foods, but it specifically says soy free on the package. They also make the rice cheese I bought as well.

Good luck!

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

I would look into the soy cancer thing... new
      #88882 - 07/11/04 08:53 PM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

it has been mentioned in previous posts, try doing a search. heather has even posted that soy can help prevent cancers, not cause them. Doctors don't always know what they are talking about, as any IBSer will know. but, if going soyfree makes you feel more safe, there are plenty of alternatives as you have been finding. The soy-cancer thing is a big debate, I did see it mentioned on an urban legend website that i know of, I will look it up and get back to you.

--------------------
-Sheri

Re: I would look into the soy cancer thing... new
      #88885 - 07/11/04 08:58 PM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

I just looked it up, it said status undetermined, has not been proven or disproved. I went to snopes.com, if you ever want to check it out. i know it is a popular site, I beleive that their info is fairly accurate. But, I have read an article in a health magazine recently that defended the soybean and stated that it definately does not cause cancer.

--------------------
-Sheri

Re: Rice Milk new
      #89279 - 07/13/04 06:48 AM
jonsie57

Reged: 06/08/04
Loc: dallas, texas

Hi Sjo,
You need to find whatever works for you. I know some people are allergic to soy products, so it's just a matter of choice. I havent heard about soy and cancer. I had just heard it was good for menopause and those that were lactose intollerant. I mean I am one of the few people who is allergic to splenda...Not many people know about the bad side affects that either...So it just comes down to a matter of choice and what works best for you..
Good luck and feel well.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1266 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1069

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review