All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Tired of IBS-C
      #88455 - 07/10/04 06:13 AM
Aunti Mo

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Lake Station, Indiana

I do believe I have had IBS-C since childhood. And really tired of it all. But I have decided to really take control of it all. I have ordered the cookbook, and extras. Going to give it try and really stick to it. And see if it really helps. If there are any suggestions for this, I will gladly accept them and try. Thanks

--------------------
Aunti Mo

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Tired of IBS-C new
      #88481 - 07/10/04 08:25 AM
Kimmy

Reged: 06/02/04
Loc: Upstate New York

Auntie, Mo

Following this diet has really helped me alot. I ordered both of Heather's books, the cookbook and First Year IBS.

I am IBS-A, but when I am C it seems that keeping the balance between soluble and insoluble fiber is what helps the most (ie: salad with low fat dressing AFTER potatoes or rice and chicken). Taking the soluble fiber supplements is also imperative (I take Citrucel 3x a day before each meal).

The books help alot and this website is also great.

Hope you feel better soon - let us know how you make out.

Kim

#88485 - 07/10/04 08:33 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Welcome!! Good for you for taking charge of your health! This approach REALLY works and we're here for ya!

First suggestion is to read the posts at the top of the list for some general background info. It will answer a lot of your questions.

And I second Kimmy's post about the importance of a soluble fiber supplement.

Looking forward to getting to know you!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#88991 - 07/12/04 10:15 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

I'm another lifetime IBS-C'er (with not-so-amusing excursions to the land of D on occasion), and Heather's diet is a very good thing. I've done well with the combination of acacia or Citrucel plus trying to get insolubles at every meal after I've gotten some soluble fiber in me. One of the things I found most annoying about C is that doctors and friends and family will try to get you to eat raw veggies and bran without soluble fiber - ouch ouch ouch!

The other standard C advice - plenty of liquids and exercise - are still good.

--AC, closer to regular now than in the past 37 years!

#89005 - 07/12/04 10:26 AM
bjoyh

Reged: 07/12/04

I've found some really helpful info on this website, thanks to all. Questions: Anyone used acupuncture for IBS? Anyone using Culturelle? Found this info. on Dr. Andrew Weil's site and then went to the Culturelle website. Wondering if you could use Culturelle and Acacia, any info. will be appreciated. Barb in FL

#89022 - 07/12/04 10:47 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I'm also a lifer of IBS C! One mistake that I made was I cut out too much insoluble fiber at first. People with chronic C usually need more insoluble than people with D. Insoluble fiber isn't evil, you just have to learn to eat it properly! I second the exercise and water, both are huge helpers also!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#89094 - 07/12/04 01:07 PM
LauraSue

Hi, Barb in Fla and welcome!! I'm not able to answer your questions but somebody can. To make sure they see it you could start your own post. Just click on the Post link at the top of the list of messages.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#89097 - 07/12/04 01:13 PM
bjoyh

Reged: 07/12/04

need some assistance - can't find POST to make a new post, only can reply (??) new to this board, I must be missing something. Thanks, Barb in FL

#89106 - 07/12/04 01:25 PM
LauraSue

Okay, click on Index (in between Previous and Next). Now you should be looking at a list of posts with the headings Subject, Poster, Views, Replies and Last Post.

Just above that you should see a line that says All Boards >> Eating for IBS Board. Just to the right of that is the link that says Post with a little icon of a piece of paper next to it.

Okay? Give it a try, if you still have problems let us know!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Re: Aunti Mo.... new
      #89122 - 07/12/04 01:49 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

I have changed over to IBS C in the last couple of months. I hate it too! The most important thing, never ever push and strain, this can cause injury that only major surgery can repair. (Trust me )

Try this: Oatmeal with chopped apple (finely chopped), Zucchini Bread-recipe is in the cookbook, fat free wheat crackers for snacks (great to have on hand when away from home,) lots and lots of water.

Trial and error are going to help with the veggies and fruit. I get my fruit in smoothies, I keep frozen bananas in ziplocs, add strawberries, peaches, mixed berries....vanilla and sometimes soy milk. This is sooo good and almost fat free. Don't forget your SFS.

Hope this helps.

Re: This is my story and what stablized my IBS-C new
      #89127 - 07/12/04 02:39 PM
Wookie

Reged: 04/01/04
Loc: n/a

I believe I was a sufferer of IBS-C my whole life starting when coming home from the hospital with my mom. She said I didn't go for days and she was a brand new mommy so she was clueless. My mom had to give me an enema when I was only a few days old. Her and my grandma would make me onion soup (some home remedy) to relieve my gas. My grandma would massage my tummy and I would then have a BM. (I still do this when desperate or uncomfortable) I would throw up lots of times and it would come with force my mom said..shooting several feet. I think this was and is IBS related to this day. I get nauseaus (sp?) very easily. So this is how I have always known life to be. Last summer, I began having actually very painful attacks that would keep me down for days. My social life went out the window and my boyfriend almost did too. I always had to cancel plans at the last minute because of something I ate giving me pain. And I had no clue what I was doing wrong. It was bad times. But I got to a GI and am finally stable today. I have never been one to have a BM daily. Now I am going daily. There are several things that go into making me have a BM regularly:

1. I drink over the recommended daily dose of water per day.

2. I take 4 stool softeners per day per my GI request.

3. Citrate calcium with magnesium works wonders.

4. Omega 3 (flax seed oil, fish oil and borage). This also helps with cholestrol, depression and to keeping a healthy heart.

5. I take a women's daily vitamin daily.

6. I go to the bathroom when I feel the urge..no matter where I am or what the circumstances are!!

7. I learned that like food, some people I have sensitivities to. For example, my little sister is a drama queen and is always getting me to fight her battles. It is always something so I cut back on my contact with her and that helped like you would not believe. (her and I were roomates when I started having attacks..you can imagine!)

8. Exercise is always good although I don't get much of it these days. I am trying to work on it more.

9. I try to stick with the diet pretty closely but don't live and die by it. I am taking baby steps! And those baby steps have gotten me a long way now after a year has passed.

10. I take acacia 3 tablespoons 3 times a day also. I used to be on zelnorm which worked great but I don't have insurance and wanted to try a cheaper product, not to mention, more safe for the long term use.

11. I use an enema if I miss a day of BM. Right now my clock is set to 6:30ish a.m. every day. But stress can trigger me to not go at times (not often at all). I use the enema because it gives you that urge and resets my body's clock. I got hemrroids (sp?) from straining so laxatives burn my booty too bad! OUCH! ICK! I don't like the enema but it is quick and over with before I know it rather than suffering all day with painful roids!

12. I try to keep my tummy full of something at all times. I get sick if it is empty. So I just eat small amounts every 2-3 hours.

13. Lastly, I try to eat 1 yogert a day to increase good gut flora.

Wow that was a mouthful! I hope this helps! Just know you aren't alone and it takes time to find what will get you stable. You take care!

--------------------
~Wookie

#89131 - 07/12/04 03:20 PM
starimpaler

Reged: 05/11/04

Omg...you poor woman. At least I had a decent childhood. Now, I feel like I'm in hell. I have constipation constantly and gas like big red balloon. I don't know what to do. Has anyone tried any herbal remedies other than fennel and peppermint? Thanks.

Re: for Doe new
      #117336 - 10/30/04 02:21 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

When do you take your colace? In divided doses throughout the day? Also, how much mag/cal do you take and how many fish oil capsules?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#117409 - 10/30/04 09:44 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

Doe- when you say calcium citrate with magnesium, do you mean just calcium citrate? Or do they sell it with both things? Cause I thought citrate meant there was magnesium in it already. Hm.

I'm IBS-C, but for some reason it seems like it doesn't matter how much insoluble fiber I eat, it has no affect!

--------------------
IBS-C

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1846 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2321

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review