All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Tired of IBS-C
      #88455 - 07/10/04 06:13 AM
Aunti Mo

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Lake Station, Indiana

I do believe I have had IBS-C since childhood. And really tired of it all. But I have decided to really take control of it all. I have ordered the cookbook, and extras. Going to give it try and really stick to it. And see if it really helps. If there are any suggestions for this, I will gladly accept them and try. Thanks

--------------------
Aunti Mo

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Tired of IBS-C new
      #88481 - 07/10/04 08:25 AM
Kimmy

Reged: 06/02/04
Loc: Upstate New York

Auntie, Mo

Following this diet has really helped me alot. I ordered both of Heather's books, the cookbook and First Year IBS.

I am IBS-A, but when I am C it seems that keeping the balance between soluble and insoluble fiber is what helps the most (ie: salad with low fat dressing AFTER potatoes or rice and chicken). Taking the soluble fiber supplements is also imperative (I take Citrucel 3x a day before each meal).

The books help alot and this website is also great.

Hope you feel better soon - let us know how you make out.

Kim

#88485 - 07/10/04 08:33 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Welcome!! Good for you for taking charge of your health! This approach REALLY works and we're here for ya!

First suggestion is to read the posts at the top of the list for some general background info. It will answer a lot of your questions.

And I second Kimmy's post about the importance of a soluble fiber supplement.

Looking forward to getting to know you!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#88991 - 07/12/04 10:15 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

I'm another lifetime IBS-C'er (with not-so-amusing excursions to the land of D on occasion), and Heather's diet is a very good thing. I've done well with the combination of acacia or Citrucel plus trying to get insolubles at every meal after I've gotten some soluble fiber in me. One of the things I found most annoying about C is that doctors and friends and family will try to get you to eat raw veggies and bran without soluble fiber - ouch ouch ouch!

The other standard C advice - plenty of liquids and exercise - are still good.

--AC, closer to regular now than in the past 37 years!

#89005 - 07/12/04 10:26 AM
bjoyh

Reged: 07/12/04

I've found some really helpful info on this website, thanks to all. Questions: Anyone used acupuncture for IBS? Anyone using Culturelle? Found this info. on Dr. Andrew Weil's site and then went to the Culturelle website. Wondering if you could use Culturelle and Acacia, any info. will be appreciated. Barb in FL

#89022 - 07/12/04 10:47 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I'm also a lifer of IBS C! One mistake that I made was I cut out too much insoluble fiber at first. People with chronic C usually need more insoluble than people with D. Insoluble fiber isn't evil, you just have to learn to eat it properly! I second the exercise and water, both are huge helpers also!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#89094 - 07/12/04 01:07 PM
LauraSue

Hi, Barb in Fla and welcome!! I'm not able to answer your questions but somebody can. To make sure they see it you could start your own post. Just click on the Post link at the top of the list of messages.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#89097 - 07/12/04 01:13 PM
bjoyh

Reged: 07/12/04

need some assistance - can't find POST to make a new post, only can reply (??) new to this board, I must be missing something. Thanks, Barb in FL

#89106 - 07/12/04 01:25 PM
LauraSue

Okay, click on Index (in between Previous and Next). Now you should be looking at a list of posts with the headings Subject, Poster, Views, Replies and Last Post.

Just above that you should see a line that says All Boards >> Eating for IBS Board. Just to the right of that is the link that says Post with a little icon of a piece of paper next to it.

Okay? Give it a try, if you still have problems let us know!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Re: Aunti Mo.... new
      #89122 - 07/12/04 01:49 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

I have changed over to IBS C in the last couple of months. I hate it too! The most important thing, never ever push and strain, this can cause injury that only major surgery can repair. (Trust me )

Try this: Oatmeal with chopped apple (finely chopped), Zucchini Bread-recipe is in the cookbook, fat free wheat crackers for snacks (great to have on hand when away from home,) lots and lots of water.

Trial and error are going to help with the veggies and fruit. I get my fruit in smoothies, I keep frozen bananas in ziplocs, add strawberries, peaches, mixed berries....vanilla and sometimes soy milk. This is sooo good and almost fat free. Don't forget your SFS.

Hope this helps.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1653 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2319

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review