All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: Two Days Down, Three to Go!! -- Countdown to SIX MONTHS STABLE!!!! new
      #87479 - 07/07/04 05:55 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Laura, I'm cheering you on! Congrats for making it so far, and thanks for all the helpful tips. I'm with you... I hardly ever cheat b/c it's just not worth it to me.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: TVP rocks! new
      #87497 - 07/07/04 06:45 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I wish I still had the recipe - it's been years since I've made it. You end up having to add some sort of gravy to it... I think I did a mushroom and onion sort of thing... and Worcestershire sauce & a little garlic definitely adds a more "beefy" taste. I went pretty heavy on vegetables, too - the original recipe only called for mushrooms, onions, and corn, but I also added carrots, peas, and spinach (well-drained).

It never seems to taste quite like a beef shepherd's pie, but after the first couple times I had it, I guess I just acquired a taste for it and it really didn't matter. LOL!

YOU GO GIRL ! True inspiration new
      #87514 - 07/07/04 07:19 PM
bigblue

Reged: 05/30/04
Loc: New Jersey...USA

Thanks for the ideas, Casey! I'll play with it. -nt- new
      #87536 - 07/07/04 07:57 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Soy "meat" suggestions for Casey new
      #87543 - 07/07/04 08:20 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Hey Casey,

I think I might be the resident expert on soy meats (or at least one of them). My husband and I are both vegetarian, and I have been for 13 years or so, so we've pretty much tried everything. My suggestion on chicken is veat. They make breasts, nuggets, and bites, all of which are delicious. Not extremely high in fat either. They also make a "salmon" which is great. If you can get your hands on some Quorn, that stuff is awesome too. It's a British thing that just started coming over here a few years ago. They also do chicken, but to tell you the truth the cutlets taste vaguely fishy to me... sort of like Long John Silver. They have a roast which looks incredibly weird but tastes great. Their hotdogs are yummy too. Let's see... other than that, the Morningstar and the Boca are both tasty. I don't care for any of the others that I've tried at all. Hope some of this helps!!

Re: laura Sue, Blue is right, you ARE an inspiration! new
      #87589 - 07/07/04 09:35 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

You are always so upbeat and witty. It makes me feel so good when you take the time to answer a post or just to give me a positive thought ! Thank you so much for being the wonderful friend you are. You deserve to continue the no D forever! God Bless you ! gayla

Re: Soy "meat" suggestions for Casey new
      #87634 - 07/08/04 05:55 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Thank you so much! Now I'm going to have to check our health food store for Veat - I know none of the supermarkets here carry it. The Morningstar stuff has always been my favorite, I don't think I've tried a single product that I didn't like... I just wish the stuff was cheaper. LOL Ah well.

I was partly just curious, wanting to expand to something beyond chicken breasts and fish filets, but I'm entertaining the idea of going vegetarian. I already don't eat eggs or dairy, or anything that contains them in even small amounts. I'm just kinda hooked on my chicken and seafood, especially now, when some days it seems like the only thing I feel like eating. Hopefully I'll find some tasty alternatives to tempt me. Thanks again!

Re: TVP rocks! new
      #87662 - 07/08/04 07:50 AM
raindew01

Reged: 07/07/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario - Canada.

I'll try to go through my recipies soon. I haven't yet looked at everything to convert it to low fat.

My top favourite soy "meat" product is Yves Veggie Bacon Strips. It says not to overcook them, but I put the tiniest bit of oil in the pan, and cook them til they're almost burnt on each side--crisp--and they taste amazing. They're also low fat (I think??) 1.0 g per slice. Maybe that adds up, though.

What *is* low fat for this diet? Anyone know?

For instance, the other tofu product I wanted to recommend is Zoglo's Tofu Patties. They taste awesome--if you have a dip to dip them in. Bet they're 4.5 g fat for 2 patties. And they're little patties. Is that too much?

My other top fav, also by Zogloo's, was 8.5 in fat for one spinach tofu patty, so I'm pretty sure that's way too high. But try the bacon--it rocks!

If you like spaghetti--I looooove spaghetti--pureeing tofu (or just mushing up soft or silken tofu) into the sauce (it makes it an orange colour instead of red) can taste really good, and is an easy way to get tofu down you. Also, tofu protein drinks--I used to put in a half package of tofu, 8-10 frozen strawberries, a bit of orange juice and some water into a blender, and then have a wonderful, tasty, cooling drink for the summer.

Miso Soup with Tofu new
      #87680 - 07/08/04 08:35 AM
####

Reged: 04/05/04

Miso Soup is an asian soup and it tastes great with tofu in it. You can find miso-base in the health food stores. It's a little high in sodium but that doesn'st cause me any problems. There is also instant-miso which is great for those who work outside of the home.

Re: Two Days Down, Three to Go!! -- Countdown to SIX MONTHS STABLE!!!! new
      #87882 - 07/08/04 01:33 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Thanks, Raindew! Actually I do like tofu and I love the discussion that I've provoked here on soy and tofu and veat. Great alternatives for everybody to keep in mind.

Thanks, everybody!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 290 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3530

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review