Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Enzyme Withdrawal
      #8633 - 05/08/03 12:53 PM
Kris

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: Vancouver Island, BC

Hi Everyone
I have been taking multiple-enzyme pills with each meal to help digest carbs/fats/fibre/sugars/etc. They have been helping me immensely to reduce and almost cut out gas and bloating. As well, I have been taking Beano to help reduce gas/bloating from beans and legumes. Anyhow, now that I have run out of both bottles of pills, and can't afford anymore at this time, I am going through some kind of withdrawal. Not only is the gas and bloating back, which I am used to so I can handle it using herbal teas, etc. But oddly, I have more burping, reflux, and feel more full faster. Last night I had discomfort all through my abdomen up to my armpits, and couldn't take a full breath for half an hour without pain. Is this what upper indigestion is like? It makes me think that I shouldn't take the enzymes again, if my body can get that dependant on them in little over a month!

Meanwhile, I live in Canada, and have heard of a new product put out by Natural Factors, called RevitalX, which is a combination of vitamins, minerals, probiotics, fibres, and other stuff, that is supposed to help restore the systems of those who suffer from Chrohn's, IBS, etc. They are suggesting one uses it in addition to thier new cleansing product, Detoxitech, that removes toxin buildup, while supporting the organ functions. I dunno if they'd work, I can't afford them at this time anyway, but I am interested in strengthening my organs so that my digestive functions are optimal.
Here is the link if you want more info:
www.naturalfactors.com
Does it sound worth trying? Sometimes I just think I get sucked in to trying ANYTHING natural that will help my condition (IBS-D). A high fibre diet has been doing wonders, but there are still off days, and of course, the bloating/gas is endless.
Kris

--------------------
Be the change you want to see in the world.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Enzyme Withdrawal new
      #8709 - 05/09/03 09:16 AM
H2

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Ohio

Kris,

I'm afraid I don't have any answers for you, but I'm interested to hear what anyone else has to say. I was going to get Beano and perhaps some enzymes myself, but if you become dependant on them, maybe that's a bad idea for me.

Anyone else taking enzymes or beano?

--------------------
-h2
"Soluble fiber not included."

#8711 - 05/09/03 09:59 AM
tnchawk

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: New Ken, PA

The best thing to do to replace enzymes on at least a temporary basis is eat papaya and/or pineapple after a meal. They both have natural digestive enzymes in them to help you break down food. Good luck!

Christianne

--------------------
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about???

#10097 - 05/27/03 08:08 PM
Kris

Hi
well after a few weeks, the enzyme withdrawal seems all right, i no longer have acid reflux, what a relief. In the meantime, I do want to find other ways to reduce gas/bloating, perhaps by strengthening my organs, so that digestion is more complete/less gassy. My TCM doctor is going to help me with this, using accupuncture (though probably not until the fall when i can afford it!), but in the meantime, I will use a herbal prescription i got from her. So we'll see how that goes.

As for Beano, i still use beano when i have beans/soy, and have found that it works really well to reduce gas after beans, and into the next day too. My gastro actually first gave me samples, and i was pleased with the results, as i have avoided beans for years now, due to ibs. I find that the high-fibre of beans really helps me stabilize on bad days, as long as i take beano to avoid the gas/pain/bloating.
i hope this helps!
Kris

--------------------

#10122 - 05/28/03 06:49 AM
shaun g

Reged: 05/25/03
Loc: ontario, canada

for enzymes, i take an american product .. www.nuyzmes.com

but I'm looking for a Canadian alternative..

--------------------
trying to equal the IBS ratio- one man at a time

#10176 - 05/28/03 07:32 PM
Georgette

Reged: 04/10/03
Loc: Kamloops B.C.

Hi Kris
This sounds Great!! I'm going to see how much it costs and I'm going to try it soon. I need something I'm So Very Tired of being sick. I've been following the IBS Diet for two months and I'm still really sick in 12 twelve days that I've been on holidays I've been sick 6 days. So if this will help then I'm all for it.
Thanks Georgette

#10202 - 05/29/03 08:41 AM
shaun g

Reged: 05/25/03
Loc: ontario, canada

it looked good.. but i hate taking powders .. so much easier in capsules.

--------------------
trying to equal the IBS ratio- one man at a time

Enzymes, Detoxitech, and RevitalX new
      #10324 - 05/30/03 09:08 PM
Kris

I took the enzymes Called Digestion Formula made by Future Formulations in Toronto. They are a very inclusive blend of enzymes.
They definetely worked well, but I'm not sure if I'll go back on them because of the reflux problem i suffered when i went off them, though it could have been compounded by the fact that i ate curry for the first time in four years. anyhow, see what you think, they are vegetable based, which is supposed to be easy to absorb. i am going to my gastro next week so am going to ask his opinion.

in the meantime, i have been taking the RevitalX and it definitely hasn't harmed me, and it gives me an energy boost, i think it is helpful, but not a cure, just a vitamin boost. i think it's too early to tell though! It has the glutamine in it, which i would like to know more about.

as for the Tetoxitech, i decided against it cuz it may cause diarhea in the cleansing process, i am not ready to deal with that right now, as i am relatively stable with heather's diet plan.

--------------------

#10325 - 05/30/03 09:13 PM
Kris

I'm sorry to hear that half of your vacation has been agony, i hope that you are taking the time out that you need. I have found that I have to be so hyper aware in order to be well, i can manage my symptoms well with the diet from heather, but i also have do to the exercise, herbal teas, relaxation time, etc etc etc, or else something gets out of balance and i feel crappy. Sometimes i try to decide which symptom i can live with the best (bloating?) and which i like the least, (attacks out of nowhere), but i have my breaking point.
take care
Kris
ps, let me know if you want more info about a certain remedy i tried, from your email i wasn't sure which you were referring to ?!

--------------------

#10327 - 05/30/03 10:19 PM
Georgette

Reged: 04/10/03
Loc: Kamloops B.C.

Hi Kris
I'm not sure if you tried it, but you mentioned about Revital X by Natural Factors. I'm hoping to try these soon I don't have a lot of money right now but I'm going to see what I can do, because I'm getting tired of being sick all the time.
Georgette

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 196 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2471

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review