All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Re: Spinach new
      #85043 - 06/30/04 01:32 PM
Saralou

Reged: 10/18/03
Loc: Maryland

The reason raw spinach gen. does not do the trick is because most do not eat enough in one sitting to have the desired effect. Most eat 1/4-1/2 a spinach bunch (and that is a lot of leaves) but when you cook a whole spinach bunch, it only gives you a small portion (about the size of your hand). Therefore, consuming it cooked, you are consuming more but it seems like less because of the diminutive size it takes on once it has been steamed...does this make sense?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Hi Saralou new
      #85051 - 06/30/04 01:41 PM
Wookie

Reged: 04/01/04
Loc: n/a

LOL!! Your comment about winning the race due to bloat was too cute! I can relate! Thanks for the hint on the bread/pastas verses carrots, etc. I really wasn't sure on that kind of thing. I know that the IBS diet is supposed to help all IBS whether C or D but am always wondering about what will help C the most. You sound like you know the boyfriend issue and IBS pretty well yourself. It really doesn't appeal to me to re-explain all of this junk!! My ex and I started dating last summer in June and that is when I started having attacks. By November I was so bad, we ended up in the ER the night of my birthday. (I had an anxiety attack that lasted all day plus hadn't had a BM in a week! It was horrible! It was my birthday weekend and he took me to a lake where his family owns a cabin. We hung out and watched movies and ATE food the entire time. He cooked me steaks, we had wine, coffee, greasy breakfast..you name it!! He has seen me at my worse. So he has always understood my pains and bloat. I don't want to think about going through it all over again with someone new! Ugh!

--------------------
~Wookie

Re: Hi Little Minnie new
      #85053 - 06/30/04 01:46 PM
Wookie

Do you find that walking helps the bloating, really? And the chiro comment you made is interesting. I believe it!! I love my chiro! I haven't been in so long though (right now I am without insurance due to a new job change). I will definitly speak to him to see if he can help me! Thanks so much for your reply!

--------------------
~Wookie

Atomic rose, try cooked spinach------- new
      #85057 - 06/30/04 01:52 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

it makes me "go" every time!!!!!!! Now, I didn't mean to give you the wrong impression, but the warm water with lemon should not make you "go" immediately. It will just help in the long run.

Re: Thanks! Now I know I don't suffer all alone! new
      #85059 - 06/30/04 01:54 PM
BL

Don't know about the ab exercises. I just know that I don't feel very sexy either, with my big bloated stomach. It's bad when my husband is in the mood--and I feel like a cow.

I know. new
      #85060 - 06/30/04 01:55 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I didn't think it would make me go immediately - the lemon water, I mean. I might get in the habit of doing that on a daily basis, though, since this seems to be a persistent problem.

Cooked spinach doesn't seem to have that effect on me, but I love it, so eating it more often won't be a hardship anyway.

Ok, strange question about bloating new
      #85062 - 06/30/04 01:58 PM
BL

Does anybody want to just push on their belly when it's all bloated? Even though it hurts to do this, I seem to want to mash my tummy---like I think it's going push all that air out!!! Am I just strange or does anyone else feel better after doing the tummy rub? Many times I just want to rub it round and round. Guess I think I'll get things moving!!!!!!!

I do this too! new
      #85065 - 06/30/04 02:09 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Mind you, I don't bloat quite as badly as some of you, but when I have gas - or even when I'm C, like I right now - I tend to push and rub and try to get things moving that way.

I think I saw a discussion about stomach massage over on the Yoga forum... I may have to go find that.

Re: Hi Unhappy Tummy new
      #85066 - 06/30/04 02:11 PM
Wookie

I know what you mean by that feeling of your belly about to burst!! Know it too well! Like if someone would poke me with a pin I would burst like a baloon. LOL! Sometimes I have to laugh at myself! I know what you mean about the PMS too. I bloat up to where I can't fit 80% of my wardrobe (which isn't much to begin with) 2 weeks before my period. It is horrible! Water pills used to help but I don't think they are helping much this month. Last week I was at work and by lunch I was hurting b/c my pants were too tight (like all of the sudden). This means I can't wear them for another 2 weeks or less. Rest assure, you haven't gained weight..it is just this lovely bloat!

--------------------
~Wookie

Re: I would get the same exact way.. new
      #85071 - 06/30/04 02:17 PM
Wookie

But I ALWAYS made up for it later when I felt better, if you know what I mean! But it does put a real strain on a relationship! Also, I broke so many dates with him at the last minute because of attacks. I almost lost him over it because he thought I was blowing him off and being disrespecful to him. Later when I was diagnosed and after all the suffering I went through, he didn't hold it against me..except if we were arguing (isn't that nice?) Relationships are hard when you have IBS sometimes!! Ugh!

--------------------
~Wookie

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 596 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 23532

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review