All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
To Atomic Rose new
      #85001 - 06/30/04 12:08 PM
Saralou

Reged: 10/18/03
Loc: Maryland

Hi there!
I am also an IBS C. For me, when I am having a long bout of C, I follow this recipe:

In the morning, have a warm cup of water with lemon juice (as another suggested--try to stay away from honey as all forms of sugar can be constipating) and a bowl of oatmeal. About 30 mins later, sit on the toilet for 10 mins and try to relax (read a book). Whether you go or not, follow this recipe for the rest of the day:

Eat a lunch with lots of green veggies (insoluble fiber, I know, try to pop a few more SFS beforehand and have a sweet potato or carrots as your soluble fiber, not white bread or pasta). Try a bunch of cooked spinach, green beans, etc.

In the evening, have a peeled apple, 1/2 banana or a pear.

You obviously drink plenty of water. My only other note would be to point out that on days when I did not consume enough food/calories, no matter how well I ate (health-wise), I could not go the next morning.

You can also try taking a warm bath, which I find loosens you up.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Hi Doe new
      #85015 - 06/30/04 12:20 PM
Saralou

Reged: 10/18/03
Loc: Maryland

No, you certainly are not alone! It seems no matter how much or little I eat, or what I eat, I have to deal with a belly that extends 4 feet in front of me! :-) I joke and say that if I were in a race and were head to head (excuse me, stomach to stomach), I would win!
Anyhow, unfortunately, it seems from my experience that many of the soluble items that make up our diet, make the bloat worse (pasta, white rice, white bread--always remove the inside of the loaf, the soft best part). I try to get my soluble from other non-bloating items: carrots, sweet potato, saltine crackers.
I am sorry to hear about your breakup...I certainly know what that is like...and how your self-esteem/confidence goes right through the floor when you think about putting yourself out there and doing the whole courting thing again and having to deal with/explain that no, you cannot have a beer, or go for pizza, or pull an all-nighter...ugh.
Anyhow, I feel for you!

Spinach new
      #85016 - 06/30/04 12:23 PM
nicky

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: Colorado

hey ibsgrl,
for me raw spinach doesn't do it either, but cooked makes me go Weird isn't it. Oh well, I've given up trying to understand my intestines I just try to remember what works, without the why.

--------------------
nicky

Re: Spinach new
      #85018 - 06/30/04 12:23 PM
ibsgrl

Reged: 04/18/04
Loc: Canada

right on Nicky. It WAS raw spinach too. Hmmm.

Re: Bloating - I'm right there with you! new
      #85025 - 06/30/04 12:34 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi all,
I'm IBS-D but one of my newly developed IBS symptoms over the last year has been major bloating. I don't get it all the time, but when I do it makes me feel really uncomfortable and self-conscious. I was taking some Chinese herbal medicine and it helped my D, but DAMN was I ever big as a house! The pain from it was so bad that I felt like my stomach was about to burst and I would resort to just lying down on my stomach, on a heating pad and crying until the pain started to go away.
I am just finishing my period, and either I've gained a ton of weight _really_ fast or I am just incredibly bloated 'cause pants I bought for work a couple of weeks ago are all of sudden so tight that they hurt me! I had to change 2 days ago before leaving for work 'cause it was so uncomfortable. I feel huge and pregnant, and really hope it 'deflates' as my period goes away!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Atomic Rose - hugs for you new
      #85027 - 06/30/04 12:37 PM
Stephie

Hi darling!
I am IBS-D normally, but I do swing the other way once and a while and it totally freaks me out. Even if it's not hurting me yet, as soon as I haven't gone for more than 2 days, I start getting all panicked for some reason.
More than anything else, I just wanted to say I'm sorry you're feeling poorly and I hope all the suggestions people gave you will help and you'll be all.. emptied out??.. by tomorrow. I have heard that drinking hot water with lemon first thing in the morning helps to get stuff moving, and since people here suggested it, I hope that helps you. As well as all the other stuff.
Anyway, just wanted to send you an eAwwww 'cause you don't feel well!
**hugs**
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Aww, thanks! new
      #85029 - 06/30/04 12:41 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

*hugs* You're such a sweetie.

I had to run some errands, so I figured I'd be better off not trying the lemon-water thing immediately, but I'm going to try it now, I think. Actually, the laxative from yesterday is working, which is bringing on a whole new problem: I gotta go, but I apparently have hemmrhoids (sp?) or something. I've had them once before, and they haven't bothered me in years. So now I try to go, and the pain is so incredible that my body says "nuh uh! no way!" and everything stops.
I can't freaking win!

I just want someone to knock me out and vacuum out my insides, haha. Wake me when it's over.

Re: I need a little advice from an IBS-C or A new
      #85031 - 06/30/04 12:47 PM
Cathie

Reged: 06/21/04

Hi,
I am sorry that you are not feeling well. The thing that helps me when I have that problem is Miralax powder. It works really well, in the beginning one dose made me go naturally. Now I need to take two when I have the problem. HOpe this helps. (Oh, miralax is a prescription med, so you will have to ask your doc for it)

If it's not one thing, it's another, huh?? new
      #85032 - 06/30/04 12:48 PM
Stephie

Poor you, first D.. then C.. now hemmerhoids (me for sp too??) I totally know where you're coming from when it feels like you can't win! I had the same thing happen to me last year, my body went from having liquid D all the time, to suddenly being stable.. 1-2 solid BMs a day without problem.. or so I thought. Apparently, my poor little tush (sp?) wasn't used to having anything but liquid pass through it and couldn't handle it, WHAM! It hurt me SOOOO bad. I ended up getting treated by my doc for hemmorhoids, when really I had a fissure (a tear) and since it went so long without beign treated properly, I have a chronic one now and it bloody hurts! I even had Botox injection to try and fix it, but no such luck. I have to have surgery on it, but I keep putting that off. There is a small risk of incontinence.. but any risk of incontinence is too much risk for me!!
I'm glad the laxatives from yesterday are helping.. even if it is making you feel yucky now, at least you'll get some stuff moving on out, right? Although, with the hemmorhoid pain, that might not seem worth it! Do you have wet wipes and that hemmorhoid cream? That might make it not feel quite so bad.
Good luck!
--Steph

--------------------
IBS-D,pain.

Seriously. new
      #85037 - 06/30/04 01:04 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I can't go back out for cream, but I do have witch hazel (the "active ingredient" in the wipes), so I've been doing compresses of that, but it doesn't seem to be doing a whole lot of good.

Ugh, sorry to hear about your situation too! I think I'd be putting off the surgery too - like we don't have enough problems without worrying about incontinence too! I feel bad continuing to whine about this, but I turn into such a baby when I'm in pain.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 167 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 23504

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review