All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Re: I need a little advice from an IBS-C or A new
      #84885 - 06/30/04 09:49 AM
nicky

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: Colorado

Casey,
what usually also 'works' for me, is eating spinach. If you want to stay away from any not-natural way of making things move.. I had skipped acacia for a few days here and there for 2 weeks now, and felt like things weren't moving as easily as they should have, so I started taking it again, and I also ate spinach, cooked seems to have better effect than raw. And sure enough.... it works!
hope this helps...

--------------------
nicky

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#84886 - 06/30/04 09:50 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I am an IBS A. Yesterday I had a little problem of not being able to stop at one strawberry when I went picking and then made jam. Now today I had to work in the heat and after 2 hours the rumbles started. I took 2 imodium and soemtimes if I take them early in the day then I'll still be regular the next day, but they did not work at all anyway. I can home early to mild D but at least now I get to lay around in the A.C. But what helps me to go (which I bet I'll need tomorrow ) is Phillips chews. They give me no cramps or anything although sometimes it takes awhile to finish going since they make it nice but slow. My first dose was only 1/3 and it worked fine but now I need 1 or 2 chews every so often. You're right though imodium is bad news for A people, yet it sometimes has to be used. (I guess if that doesn't work then eat too many strawberries and you'll be able to go J/K)

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#84891 - 06/30/04 09:55 AM
ibsgrl

Reged: 04/18/04
Loc: Canada

See for me spinach does nothing - but maybe it helps more for A's. Seriously I ate a plain spinach salad with my meal last week and it did nothing.
Hmm, but did you mean raw or cooked?
Also, phillips are just like milk of magnesia though right?
That MoM is looking real good right about now.

#84894 - 06/30/04 09:58 AM
Daisymc

Reged: 04/10/04
Loc: Alexandria, VA

I don't know if you have tried Heather's Peppermint Caps, but they really worked for me. When I would have a IBS attack, I would get C up to 5 days (it doesn't sound as painful as yours), but it would make me uncomfortable & nauseated, I always said it felt like I was blocked. This was at the beginning when I was in my trial and error phase. During this time, I was also taking my Ledvid, which also causes C. Now I only take the Ledvid only when I have to. When I started taking the Peppermint Caps I started feeling better right away. I credit the caps for making me somewhat normal in the pooping area. I hope you feel better.

--------------------
Daisy
"Sometimes you are the Windshield, sometimes you are the bug".

Re: I second that! new
      #84900 - 06/30/04 10:05 AM
Wookie

Reged: 04/01/04
Loc: n/a

Phillips milk of magneisium is what my GI put me on when I was first diagnosed IBS-C. Plus zelnorm and stool softeners. The MOM was mainly to help me to start going daily until the other meds started to work. I took 1/2 tablespoon per night and went to the bathroom daily but it was diarreha. By the time I was diagnosed, I had gotten hemrroids from living off of laxatives and so forth to survive. So the diarreha hurt my hemrroids so bad!! Now when I can't go, which isn't too often, I use an enema so I can get that natural urge on my own and it is a full stool when it comes out..easier on the roids! Sorry for the TMI!

--------------------
~Wookie

Re: IBS-C and Venting! :) new
      #84968 - 06/30/04 11:18 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I could pass for 9 months pregnant. By the end of the day, I have this huge pot belly that feels like a basketball. Sometimes my stomach feels hard. I swear it feels like it did when I was pregnant---years ago!!!!!!!!! I'm afraid someone's gonna ask me when my baby is due---not a good thing when you're almost 45 years old!

Re: Thanks! Now I know I don't suffer all alone! new
      #84987 - 06/30/04 11:39 AM
Wookie

Reged: 04/01/04
Loc: n/a

Thanks for your response! I hate it that you have the same problem but I am glad I am not all alone in this. Sometimes I feel like I am all alone with it until I come to this site. It is just frustrating!! My stomach, like yours, is also hard. I have never been pregnant but that doesn't mean I don't look like I am on a daily basis! My boyfriend and I broke up a little over a month ago. I have found it harder to put myself out there because this has lowered my self esteem a bit. I have always been pretty confident but these days it is getting harder. I want to feel sexy and put myself out there to go out and do things again. I haven't been exercising like I really should either. I heard that doing ab excercises makes the bloating worse. Do you know anything about that?

--------------------
~Wookie

Phillips chews new
      #84988 - 06/30/04 11:51 AM
Little Minnie

I don't know if they are like MOM since I have never taken it but they are magnesium based and seem pretty gentle. If someone knows more...

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Phillips chews new
      #84989 - 06/30/04 11:54 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I think they're about the same. I was just in the drugstore, and I didn't look at the liquid m.o.m., but between the capsules and the chews, the only difference was the "filler" ingredients. The active ingredient is just 500mg magnesium. I'm guessing the liquid is the same too.

Bloating new
      #84991 - 06/30/04 11:59 AM
Little Minnie

I haven't heard that before about ab exercises. They have had no effect on my bloat other than that any exercise helps move things around. I am supposed to walk after dinner every night to prevent bloat. But the thing with bloating is that it is a mystery. Studies show IBSers don't have more gas in their tract making them bloat but it has to do with how their irritable gut reacts to the gas and how it is distributed. Sometimes people get really bloated without ultimately having gas come out so that shows other factors are at work (I think like spasms and cramping). My chiro palpated a place on my right side tummy that felt so strange (speaking of ab exercises again) and afterward I gurgled a lot but not in a bad way-it was like everything was moving around. But bloating will always be benefitted I believe by exercise (and tummy tea!)

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2392 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 23521

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review