All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Brown rice?
      #84197 - 06/28/04 06:57 PM
ptillen

Reged: 06/27/04
Loc: Milwaukee WI

Hello all... I wonder whether it is advisable in the confines of the IBS Diet to eat brown rice, or perhaps brown mixed with white?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Brown rice? new
      #84214 - 06/28/04 07:53 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

Hi, and welcome!

Brown rice is generally well-tolerated by people with IBS, so you might try it to see how it goes. If it's a trigger for you, mixing it with white is a good idea.

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

#84230 - 06/28/04 08:32 PM
ptillen

Thank you, ma'am! I will try, since I love brown rice. BTW, I love your "teach" quote. (being a teacher myself)

Great! Another teacher! new
      #84237 - 06/28/04 09:16 PM
ChristineM

What subject? I teach high school English.

--------------------
Christine

Re: Great! Another teacher! new
      #84257 - 06/29/04 02:24 AM
CathUK

Reged: 05/25/04
Loc: Cambridge, UK

Hi,

I work in education in the UK and bizarrly enough I am just researching the use of ICT in education in the USA. Well have just finished writing a hideous report so I think I'm allowed some time off to check the boards.

I don't know how you teach with IBS, I barely have the energy to sit at the computer all day, never mind stand in front of a group of kids! My parents are both teachers and I know how hard they work.

Much respect due!

Catherine

#84291 - 06/29/04 07:21 AM
amitchell83

Reged: 09/11/03

I have to agree with the teaching with IBS. I am in school right now to become an elementary school teacher, and I am terrified that it will be too difficult. Not knowing when you are going to have time to run to the restroom...it is kinda scary. Has it been difficult for you?

Teaching with IBS new
      #84307 - 06/29/04 08:27 AM
ChristineM

Hi, and thank you for the kudos!

First of all, I'm lucky in that my IBS is relatively mild. I sometimes go a few weeks without an attack, and even when I do have one, the attack is *usually* brief. (I.e., I get the urge, have D, but then instantly feel better. I don't get two-hour attacks like some people on this site.)

When I have an attack, it is usually during my class right after lunch. If I am leading the class (lecturing, asking whole-class questions, etc.), then I just try to bear it. There was one time toward the end of the year where I just told the kids I needed to go take care of something and left because I couldn't take it. If kids are working more independently, though, depending on the severity of the pain and urgency, I either:
-ignore it (and try not to let the pain show on my face);
-leave my students unsupervised (if they are doing something quiet like writing);
-open my colleague's door, which she immediately understands means I need to use the restroom, so she will keep an eye and ear on my class; or
-call the office and ask for a security guard to watch my class while I use the restroom ( I save this one for when kids are taking a test and must be supervised).

I am hoping that with the IBS diet I will get my symptoms under control this summer so that these after-lunch incidents will cease. If I have another year with attacks, I will ask my school to schedule my preparation period for after lunch. That would allow me to visit the potty without instructional interruptions.

That, by the way, would be my advice to other would-be teachers. Even elementary teachers usually get some block in the day where the kids are out at PE or in the computer lab or something. Just explain that you have a condition that requires frequent use of the restroom immediately after lunch and request that your preparation time be scheduled accordingly. I would imagine most schools would try to accommodate. While we're all bound to still have other attacks because of nerves or whatever else, that would minimize the need to ask others to watch the class or to leave the class unsupervised, which is technically a big no-no.

--------------------
Christine

#84334 - 06/29/04 09:08 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Hi and welcome! One caveat about brown rice. Since it's higher in INSOLUBLE fiber, it shouldn't be eaten when you're not stable. Meaning if you've just had an attack of D, stick to white rice. Once you feel better then gradually add back brown rice by mixing it with white like you said, then go back entirely to brown if it agrees with you. Same thing with white bread versus whole wheat!

Anyway, glad you found us and bless all teachers!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Brown Rice = Insoluble Fiber new
      #84425 - 06/29/04 11:38 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Laura Sue is right - brown rice is insoluble fiber so make sure you eat some soluble fiber before or with it so it doesn't upset your stomach.

- Jennifer

--------------------
- Jennifer

#84583 - 06/29/04 05:45 PM
ptillen

High school choir; additionally, I have a private studio of about 20 piano students. Thanks for the nice welcome!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2164 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1712

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review