All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
GAS and pregnant!
      #83677 - 06/27/04 06:34 AM
rlan

Reged: 06/05/03

hi everyone,

It's been so long I have been crazy busy, husband new job in new state! Anyways, I just found out after months of trying that I'm pregnant! YEAH! The nurse told me I shouldn't take any tea that says consult a Dr. b/c they're just not sure! So, my tummy mint and eater's digest are out. Anyways, I've been having a lot of gas lately and I feel guilty taking phazyme everytime b/c no drugs are good when pregnant and I don't know if it helps. When i asked the nurse she said to try gatorade/V8 juice!!! I was shocked b/c gat. has fructose and well V8 is all veggies!!! Has anyone heard of this? Does anyone know if fennel tea says consult a Dr.? Or does anyone have any other suggestions? I really appreciate it b/c I know how important it is for me to eat healthy veggies and fruits esp. right now! Gosh I feel so in a rush! I always know you guys have the best advice so thanks!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: GAS and pregnant! new
      #83749 - 06/27/04 01:42 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Having never been pregnant, I'm not exactly sure - BUT I did find this old post to help you out in the meantime. Tea and Pregnancy

And, congratulations!

Re: GAS and pregnant! new
      #83826 - 06/27/04 05:24 PM
rlan

thanks Mags! you're always so helpful! how have you been feeling...how's the second round with IBS hypnosis?
I'll have to try fennel tea, I'm just nervous. Has anyone heard anything about eh gatorade or V8? The gas just comes no matter what I eat! Also, the nurse wasn't sure about probiotics didn't know what they were and I knkow acacia which I take has a prebiotic is that safe? thanks!

remission? new
      #83848 - 06/27/04 07:29 PM
rlan

Sorry, one more question. In the post that maggs included it mentioned remission during pregnancy. Can anyone tell me when this happened for them?

Re: remission? new
      #83927 - 06/28/04 05:48 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Yeah, when I was pregnant, past the first trimester, my IBS symptoms vanished and I could eat anything I want. The baby pushes on your digestive system and thus slows it down. You may find that you improve as you go along. It may also make constipation worse if you are prone to it.
I'm surprised that the fennel tea caused concern. I drank it through my pregnancies.
Walking is also helpful for gas. It's one of those inevitables in pregnancy. Try avoiding gas producing veggies - ie cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, etc.
As for the V8 and gatorade - huh???? I've never heard of that. I'd be weary to try it - the gatorade is not exactly compatible to IBS with all the artificials in it, and the V8 is tomato based making it highly acidic (also hard on an IBS tummy.)
I think tea is your best bet. Try the internet for more info. Just type in fennel and see what spits out.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

I tried it! new
      #84130 - 06/28/04 03:32 PM
rlan

Well first, Now i'm worried b/c I thought IBS might get better but I am C prone so if it gets worse I'll scream! Anyways, today I had terrible gas and I broke down and tried the gatoratde. It seems to help a little but I don't know. Luckily, it didn't cause any other problems except I feel full which I always do from drinking anyting except water! I'm so frustrated b/c I'm trying to eat healthy and like to but my stomach doesn't like it! What to do?

Re: I tried it! new
      #84168 - 06/28/04 05:07 PM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

Congratulations and welcome to the wonderful world of pregnancy that is sometimes not mentioned lol. Unfortuantly gas is one of the joys of pregnancy, especially in the beginning. Constipation is a common complaint which might be some of the cause. I had really bad gas with my first two pregnancies and I didn't have IBS. I also had morning sickness with them. This time I didn't have the gas and no real sickness. I thought for sure we were having a boy but no another girl! I will literally be disappointed now if this one ends up being a boy .

I am 24 weeks now and I have to say I have been eating all the things you crave when you have IBS. I was ready to kill my sister last week. It was her last week off on maternity leave and I mentioned I picked up some ice cream at a great price that week. She went out and bought some on Thursday. When I say some I mean 3 1/2 gallons. She said she didn't know if we would go through one container with the kids. Friday she comes over and after lunch she asked if I would be upset if she ran to the store with the two older girls and bought more. Let me say it tasted so good and I had no problems. I go to the dr. July 6th and I will probable find out I gained 10 lbs. I blame her for my lack of will power .

You might want to look at what you are eating. Maybe there is a combination of foods that are causing the gas. Are you drinking soy milk or orange juice? Fruit can give me gas too.

Are you having any morning sickness? It is so nice not to have to deal with it. I did notice I felt even more tired with this pregnancy though. I don't know if it's because this is my third or I noticed because I wasn't sick. The dr. did say you get more tired with each pregnancy so maybe that is all it is.

#84195 - 06/28/04 06:46 PM
rlan

Thanks and congrats to you too! Wow 3 kids!! 3 girls! No morning sickness surprisingly since I've always been nauseous! I'm feeling much better now! tha's great that you can eat what you want! Enjoy it and don't worry about the weight! As hard as that is remember when you're eating the ice cream that you can't always and the weight will seem trivial (to a certain extent). I keep hoping my IBS goes into remission I can't imagina what that would be like to not worry everday!

#84303 - 06/29/04 08:14 AM
mitsuko

Reged: 06/23/04
Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Hi, I'm another one of those who are pregnant.
I'm in about 15 weeks, my IBS-like symptom "started" with pregnancy. This is my second, and with my first one, I had very similar symptoms (diarrhea/constipation cycle) but did not take care of it. Please see my previous post -> Pregnancy and IBS earlier this month. So I suggest please do absolutely ANYTHING you can do to keep your bathroom trips regular. Do NOT rely on OBs and nurses who usually know nothing about IBS, or similar kind of disorder. All the advices I got from doc's and nurses are "avoid broccoli if you have gas. Eat banana if you have diarrhea. 2 oranges a day will cure constipation." Following those advices did nothing for me. I started on this diet about 10 days ago, now I only have gas left. I get to go to bathroom and not suffer (first time in over a month)!! This is so great. I report my bathroom trip with details to my husband and how great he is, he listens. I am switching to Acacia from Metamucil and Fiberchoice, hoping that it will reduce my gas.

If you have cramping due to gas, I know what helps! my OB told me that I can take 100mg of Docusate Sodium (very mild laxative, a real chemical laxative) up to twice a day. She was so sure that it will take care of my constipation, but it didn't. I had to keep it for 7 days before it came out naturally. (This is before starting this diet). However this really let my gas out so that I was free from the cramping that I had for 3 days.

Anyway, in short, I do NOT expect nurses to know your body. YOU know it better than anyone else. Please do not have fear for herbal teas. Since hundreds of years ago, people have been drinking without asking doctor what it'll do. Peppermint, fennel etc... Trust your body a bit more to work right. And it will. People overdo these "consult a doctor". Did you know that "avoid sushi and hot tub" is not true? If it were true, Japanese people would have extinct by now! (We do not stop eating sushi or taking a bath in a tub because you're pregnant)

Finally, congratulations and keep in touch.
I'm new here, and I need "experienced" advices as I go along this pregnancy. Body changes, so these symptoms would, I expect.

Mitsuko

--------------------

for Mitsuko new
      #84325 - 06/29/04 08:55 AM
####

Reged: 04/05/04

I lived in the Kobe/Osaka area for 9 years when I was a child. I saw pregnant women eating sashimi even! I remember seeing women great with child in those public bath houses..I wonder if those even exist anymore?

I am so excited about the 4th of July as we are having a party with friends from Guam and Philippines so there will be asian food all over the place!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1610 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2069

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review