All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
For girls only.... :)
      #83491 - 06/26/04 12:19 PM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

For all of you that are completely stable and have been - do you still get D around that time of the month?? I have an awful week EVERY month, and I'm wondering if that's just something I'll have to live with? I am usually fine the rest of the month, occasionally I have some bad days, but it's absolutely the worst now (stupid period).
Also - did any of you see that commercial about some pill that lets you get your period only 3 times a year or something?!?! That would be AWESOME, but it seems weird, kind of like going against nature.

Anyways, just wondering how everyone else feels when it's that time of the month. I know IBS is worse at that time, but I'm wondering if I'll get D EVERY time I get my period, and feel like crap. Does anyone have normal BM, and just cramps?

--------------------
~Cara~

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: For girls only.... :) new
      #83506 - 06/26/04 01:39 PM
mspaschal259

Reged: 05/28/04
Loc: North Carolina , USA

My IBS-D is usually bad around the old period time. It's just our crazy hormones. Stomach tends to churn alot more .

--------------------
-----Marilyn-----

#83507 - 06/26/04 01:45 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

It has been some years now since I had a period (menopause) but I do remember having "D" and nausea the first couple of days.
My sister also had "D". Sucks, doesn't it??? I don't mind saying that I am glad that is all over for me.

Barbie

--------------------

#83512 - 06/26/04 02:09 PM
howiesbuttercup

Reged: 08/20/03

I don't know how I do it, but I get C on the first day and then D on the second day and then it all straightens out. It's like clockwork, I can count on it happening every month.

And yes, you can take b/c pills that make you have your period only 3 or 4 times a year. According to the drs, it really isn't going against nature, they say its safe. The only reason you have a period is to get pregnant and if you aren't planning on that, why have it so often? If you're interested, ask your dr about it. It isn't widely known about yet and the medical journals are starting to report on it too. I'm not sure of all the studies yet but I think the prelim reports are showing that its safe. And if you get the periods from he$$, I would certainly look into it.

Shari

#83514 - 06/26/04 02:28 PM
Cara4503

Thank you! We actually are trying, and have been trying to get pregnant right now - but I was thinking about after we have a baby, what birth control to go back on. So I will definately look into that. If it is completely safe, I don't see why everyone doesn't try it if they aren't trying to get pregnant!

--------------------
~Cara~

#83515 - 06/26/04 02:30 PM
Cara4503

Lucky! LoL. Actually my mom is going through menopause right now, and has been for some time...and it's been REALLY bad for her. I feel so awful everytime she tells me about it! She's just had a really rough time. So thank God you're done!

--------------------
~Cara~

#83574 - 06/26/04 04:51 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Cara, I'm pretty sure there's a post in the library about this, but you probably know that. To try to answer your specific question, first, obviously we'll always be more prone to D at that time of month and have to be extra careful about what we eat, but I for one am stable enough that I haven't had a D attack in 5 1/2 months, even during my periods, not even cramps. When I feel a little iffy I pop an Imodium and that seems to take care of it.

Also I just saw an ad in a magazine about that BC pill with only four periods a year so I know it's available. From what I've read you don't even have to have the four periods. If your doctor says it's okay, you can just keep taking it every day and never have a period. They've been doing it for some women with certain medical problems for years apparently with no bad effects.

So anyway, no, you don't have to resign yourself to D every period. I'm living proof!! Hope this helps.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#83612 - 06/26/04 06:40 PM
Cara4503

Uggh. I wish I hadn't had D for 5 months. I am having an AWFUL night. I feel so crappy. I ate dinner and then had a major attack. Now I just want to lay here and do nothing because my stomach is all shaky, and well - you know that feeling. I hardly ever see my husband in the summer because he works SO much, and now he's home and I feel like crap!
I get so depressed about this IBS.
Thanks for your post LS.

--------------------
~Cara~

I stay stable -- and only cramp a little - no D (and I am IBS-D) nt. new
      #83618 - 06/26/04 07:17 PM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

I should add that adding the fiber is what made the big difference for me nt new
      #83619 - 06/26/04 07:18 PM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

#83626 - 06/26/04 07:44 PM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

I was having absolutely incapacitating cramps and really bad D during my period, so I'm on the DeProvera shot. It's an almost constant level of hormones, and you get the shot every three months, and I haven't really had a period since taking it, just some spotting, which is normal. No more menstrual cramps, no more really bad D because of hormones. Just another possible option for you.

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

#83661 - 06/27/04 04:32 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi Cara,
I had the same complaint as you, I was getting the worst of my attacks (because I've always had bad cramps and basically felt like I had a stomach flu) for the week of my period. I have had no D attacks for 2 weeks now, but was afraid it would come back because I got my period a couple of days ago - but so far, I've been okay! I've had terrible cramps and bloating and stuff, but no D - which is a godsent. But I was getting so tired of getting them every month, that I now 'piggy-back' my birth control so that I take 2 packages in a row, and get my period half as often. My doctor told me, when asked about it, that a woman only needs to get 4 periods a year to be healthy. He said if you get less than that, there is a risk of osteoperosis (sp??). So technically, I could get even less periods but I do feel better only getting them every 6-7 weeks, instead of 3-4.
Hope this helps!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Re: Related question for girls new
      #83715 - 06/27/04 10:13 AM
Cathie

Reged: 06/21/04

Hi Everyone,
I get pretty bad cramps,bloating, and often D around the time of my period. But the funny thing is that for the last couple of months my period has been really irregular. For example, my whole life I would get it every 27-28 days like clockwork. But lately I will go thirty-thirty five days without getting my period. It's bad because my symptoms still start around the 27day mark but are not alleviated until I get my cycle. Is this something I should worry about, or seek help for or do you guys think my body is just changing.

Re: Related question for girls new
      #83718 - 06/27/04 11:16 AM
Cara4503

That is exactly like me. The only time I was like clockwork was when I was on the pill. Now that we have been trying to get pregnant, my period is SO irregular, which is the reason I went on the pill to begin with when I was really young. I have gone 2 months before, and then sometimes I only have 2.5 weeks inbetween! That's probably the reason we have difficulty getting pregnant, becuase it's so hard to tell when I'm ovulating.
I am definately going to check out getting that shot every 3 months. I think maybe these period weeks will be better when I'm on the pill. But like right now - I should have gotten my period a week ago, and I have terrible D and cramps, but no period yet. And it'll stay this way until I get my period - it's SO annoying and hard to deal with.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions! (And hope)
~Cara

--------------------
~Cara~

Re: To Cara new
      #83727 - 06/27/04 11:58 AM
Cathie

Thanks for your response Cara. I am so sorry that you are not feeling well. I know this situation is really tough at that time of the month. I think it is interesting becauase I too just went off the pill, well actually about six months ago and that is when this all started. But my cycle was always stable prior to and during the pill. Maybe that is why I am all off schedule. I do hate that it just prolongs that sick feeling, it's like you just don't want to move from the couch during that time of the month. OH, one thing i did want to mention is that while i was on the pill my symptoms of bloating really decreased, I think it was the type of pill I was taking because it has a tendency to reduce water retention. (Yasmine) I also have a friend who has IBS and went on it with similiar experiences. Just seems to help with the bloating and cramps. I had to go off it for other reasons. Well, thanks again and I really hope you are feeling better soon. Did you try using the heating pad, hot baths and tea?

#83786 - 06/27/04 03:44 PM
Cara4503

Hi Cathie! Thanks for replying I did sleep with a heating pad last night because I was absolutely miserable.
I think my body really needs the birth control to stay 'normal', and hopefully decrease some of these symptoms. I get really worried about getting pregnant when I feel like this. I'm nervous about being really sick for 9 months, or feeling even worse after I have a baby. I just am really nervous about it

I should try a hot bath - thanks for the idea. I do drink peppermint tea when I have attacks, but probably not as often as I should.

I had a little better day today, but not great. Still no period. I'm wasting all my period underwear waiting! LoL.

Thanks for the reply
~Cara

--------------------
~Cara~

Melitami, cool new picture!! -nt- new
      #83807 - 06/27/04 04:31 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#83810 - 06/27/04 04:41 PM
Cara4503

I have heard of this shot! Thanks! I am definately going to check it out.

--------------------
~Cara~

#83856 - 06/27/04 08:11 PM
Cathie

Hi Cara,
I know what you mean, I also wonder what it would be like to get pregnant with this since pregnancy about so many changes with our body. I am sure it will be fine though. I hope you feel better tomorrow. i know...it is an awful feeling just waiting for it to arrive. Feel better Cara.
Cathie

#83870 - 06/27/04 08:44 PM
Leah

Reged: 06/18/03
Loc: Denver, CO.

I have the exact same problem each time I have my period. I usually get D and sometimes severe C. So much fun! I asked my drs, and they say this is "normal." It may be normal, but it is by no means fun.
As for taking the pill for months at a time, I take three pill packs in a row and have a period after the third one. I love it because I only have my period a few times a year. I have horrible periods, (I have endometriosis and ovarian cysts)so the fewer the better. I know it is going against nature, but I cannot be so miserable with D and pain each month. I would highly recommend doing something like this.
Leah

#83872 - 06/27/04 08:46 PM
Leah

Depo was a horrible experience for me. I gained 35 pounds in two months, had my period for three months straight and was depressed and moody. I am glad it works for someone.
leah

#83876 - 06/27/04 08:54 PM
Leah

Hang in there Cara! Also, try a hot bath for thirty minutes as needed. It really makes a huge difference. Also, try a natural remedy called Magnesium Phosphorica. You can get it at health food stores. My doctor had me get in for abdominal cramping and it helps IBS cramps and period pain. It helps a bunch! Hang in there!
Leah

I have the opposite problem new
      #83922 - 06/28/04 05:32 AM
####

Reged: 04/05/04

I am IBS-C and I tend to be more "C" right before I start. I don't cramp a whole lot and my husband says I am never moody . "C" is the worst of my monthly problems. Strange...

#83929 - 06/28/04 06:05 AM
Cara4503

Hmm....I definately don't want my period for three months straight! And I don't need to gain weight....thanks for sharing that. I'll talk to my doctor.

--------------------
~Cara~

#83931 - 06/28/04 06:08 AM
Cara4503

Thanks Leah. I will try the hot baths today for sure. And I'll look up that natural remedy. Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it!
~Cara

--------------------
~Cara~

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1435 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4122

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review