Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Trouble with the diet
      #825 - 02/13/03 10:09 AM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

Hi - maybe someone(s) can help me...

I am having trouble with the diet especially this past weekend. I always have gas. I suffer from IBS-D. Last weekend I had paralyzing pain in my abdomin and below. It hurt so bad I was literally crying. It hurt to laugh and move and everything. My husband is very supportive but it didnt help that he just wanted to see me laugh. Gotta love him!

My doctor diagnosed me with IBS and was giving me Dicetol - which worked for me - but I told him I didn't want to be on pills forever. Thats when he told me to cut out all starches (ie: potatoes, pasta, etc) and eat all the red meat I wanted. I told him that I thought it was the red meat but he said "Well - we are going to have to experiment together"

That night I went home and happened to run across Heather (she is going to be the head angel in heaven with my grandmother when it is her time! - What a wonderful person)

I have followed Heathers diet to a T. I have been on the diet for 3 weeks now. I bought the Eating With IBS book And there are alot of spices and items which I have never heard of. Is there anyway to tone down the diets to slowing merge someone into the diet because I find that I cannot just make something out of the book. I am always going to the supermarket for a last minute spice or wierd add in pick up. No offense intended, Heather. But we were a meat, potatoe and corn family.

Now -I mostly live on fish, rice, some pasta, oatmeal and herbal teas and tons of fruits and vegetables. The first week I lost 10 lbs which Heather advised was not good - because I was experiencing body aches. My weight has gone back to the same as before the diet.

My question is: Am I even doing the diet right? Because this pain this weekend was awful. I have never been more uncomfortable in my life!!! I am so scared the pain will come back and I don't want to go to my doctor because he is no help at all.

I live in Saskatchewan - the land of free health care so that means that every one likes to visit doctors regularly for no good reasons at all. So it is difficult to find another doctor because no one is taking new patients. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you,

Lana_Marie

PS I have the First Year for IBS on order - so if anyone has any advice from that book they would like to share before my book gets here feel free - because I haven't read it yet

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Trouble with the diet new
      #834 - 02/13/03 11:54 AM
Yolanda

Reged: 02/01/03
Loc: New Hampshire

Hi Lana! Sounds like the diet is going well for you, I always try to tell myself to just do the best I can. I don't know about the pain. Sometimes I get unexplained pain and it so frustrating not to know why I get it. I think sometimes it's a detox thing. Or trapped gas. Who knows? Are you cooking your veggies well? I also try to remember than even "normal" people without IBS sometimes get stomach pains or D or are sometimes C. About your doctor, it sounds like he is willing to let you try and find out what works for you. I have found that doctors may not know everything, but it's the ones that are so ridgid they won't consider thinking "outside the box" are the one's you have to worry about. Anyway, please know I'm hoping you find your answers soon!

#839 - 02/13/03 12:29 PM
Sue48

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: The Sunflower State: Kansas

Lana Marie,
Since you have Heather's cookbook, try to stay on the diet as strictly as possible. I know exactly what you mean about running to the store for this spice or that spice. BUT IT IS SOOOOO WORTH IT! The spices are such that they don't bother my IBS (I am IBS-d), not even the onions because of the way the particular dish is prepared.
I wonder about the recommendation of your doctor who said to stay away from the potatoes, pasta, and bread. That is the total opposite of what Heather's book recommends. Stay away from red meat!
And the comments about tummy aches happen to people w/out IBS is so true. So you just might have had a plain ol tummyache!
Good luck, the results will be tremendous...and you will be happy!
Sue
PS Yup! Heather is an angel to those of us who suffer from IBS!

--------------------
Sue

#840 - 02/13/03 12:34 PM
Lana_Marie

Thank you both for your help..... So those stomach aches are normal! Because I have never had them that badly....It was like stabbing pains in my abdomin - it was horrible!

If it is well atleast I know I don't have to worry.....I can live with it if I know that other people are experiencing them and they are normal (for IBS people that is)

I have been following the diets...what is everyone else's main staples of their diets and how do you prepare them. I just want to ensure that I am doing things properly and not going overboard.

Thanks again for your help,

Lana_Marie

--------------------
Lana_Marie

#874 - 02/14/03 07:09 AM
sek

Loc: Virginia, USA

Hello. I am wondering how many fruits and vegetables you are eating. You wrote that you eat tons of them. That could be causing your stomachaches, I think. I get a lot of pain if I eat too many.

#875 - 02/14/03 07:36 AM
mickeymouse

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Canada

I feel the same when I eat certain fruits and veggies, as it says in Heather's book...the broccoli, cauliflower, lettuce and spinach gets me, do not eat them first or too much and it will give you immense gas and pain! EAt soluble fibre first and in greater amounts, such as potatoes and rice. Also, certain fruits have to be peeled and pureed or they will have the same effect.

#877 - 02/14/03 07:40 AM
Lana_Marie

I eat tons of vegetables.

For Example:
Breakfast = Fruit smootie with soy milk and real fruit
Snack = Usually a piece of fruit
Lunch = Bagel with tuna (in water) and some veggies of some kind
Snack = Oatmeal
Supper = Chicken Vegetable StirFry

So yes - I do eat alot of veggies and fruit but I just don't know what else I can really be eating - I work during the day everyday except on weekends and have trouble taking time to eat anything that isnt quite, easy and something I can eat and work at the same time.

Lana_Marie

--------------------
Lana_Marie

#878 - 02/14/03 08:01 AM
Lana_Marie

I do find that if I have a bowl of oatmeal or a few granola bars before a meal then I can eat the veggies and I have no problems.

I seem to only get the stomach pains on the weekends because I find it more difficult to keep up with the meal, snack, meal, snack, meal schedule because those are my days to laze around and sleep in etc. Would the messing up of the schedule be a part of the stomach ache problems....

Lana_Marie

--------------------
Lana_Marie

#879 - 02/14/03 08:29 AM
sek

Loc: Virginia, USA

I also find it difficult to come up with quick meals. I eat lots of pasta with tomato sauce (not too much) and mushrooms, or a piece of fish with rice (squirted with lemon juice) or potato wedges that I broil in my toaster oven. Then I add fruits and veggies based on how I've been feeling.

A mistake that I was making was forgetting about seeds and other insoluble fibers in fruits, especially. I was blending strawberries into smoothies but they still affected me and I finally realized it must be the seeds. Also, recently I've had a lot of bread at restaurants with sesames seeds on top. At first I didn't pay attention but after an attack I now always remember to scrape them off or tear the crust off.

So, basically what I'm saying is, watch out for those sneaky sources of insoluble fiber. They might be the ones doing a number on your gut.

#881 - 02/14/03 08:34 AM
Lana_Marie

Those potatoe wedges sound wonderful...I never thought of that - Do you boil them or something first and then bake them in your toaster oven?

Thanks for your seeds advice - but I really don't buy alot of anything with seeds. I haven't implemented them into my diets as of yet - but I will definately remember your advice when I use them.

Isn't it amazing how the smallest thing in our diets make us sick. Crazy really! How do you people catch these little problems.....

Lana_Marie

--------------------
Lana_Marie

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 814 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 16129

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review