All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Counting calories
      #81920 - 06/22/04 10:39 AM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

Anyone counting calories? I don't need to lose weight, but I want to stay thin (If anyone is curious, I am 120ish and 5'8"ish). I have been excercising to relive stress and get energy. Also, I want to tone up (just because I am thin does not mean I am not getting flab, too!).
I don't want to over-do it with food. I used to eat like one large meal and a snack in a day- now I eat several small meals and snack, but way healthier stuff. I counted the calories in my planned food for the day, and I came up with 750 (until I eat dinner, don't know how much that will be and I may eat another snack). Is this too much? Also, I didn't count cals for fruit, cause I have no idea how much they would be.
I don't want to counteract my excercise efforts by eating too much, does this sound right?
My body never knows what it wants, it thinks it's starving, but by time I get a chance to eat a snack I no longer feel hungry. Then it comes back later. I found I am one of those people who needs to think with common sense on what to eat, not with my tummy.
Let me know what yas think!
Thanks,
Sheri

--------------------
-Sheri

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Counting calories new
      #81928 - 06/22/04 10:49 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Well, I'm kind of counting calories. *Kind of*. I just lost 30-something pounds due to being so sick. At about 123, I'm finally NOT overweight for my height, and I'm thrilled... but kind of afraid that once I start eating "real meals" again, I'm going to gain all the weight back like I have in the past. I don't mind gaining a little, but I'd like to not pass 130 if I can help it. (I'm 5'2", btw.)

Most dietary guidelines for moderately-active women suggest 1200-1500 calories a day, I know that for sure... but I can never remember if that's a "maintenance" level or a weight-loss level. A tally of 750 so far doesn't sound unreasonable, depending on what you have for dinner, and how much fruit you're eating.

I have to eat with common sense, too, and not cravings... like I've told friends in the past, if I only ate when I was hungry, I'd never eat.

Anyway, I know this was less than helpful... I'm sure someone else will chime in with better advice!

#81935 - 06/22/04 11:05 AM
Sheri01

Not less than helpful! Thanks alot for the input Casey, for some reason 2500 calories was sticking in my mind, but I knew that seemed like too much! 1200- 1500 sounds more realistic for us gals.
I am the opposite way- I'll eat way too much, especially if it's in front of me! Or I eat nothing... but that was more when I was younger and kinda anorexic looking.

--------------------
-Sheri

#81944 - 06/22/04 11:34 AM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

I use www.fitday.com to track my cals. I also use this formula to calculate how many cals I need to maintain:

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

--------------------
~jules

Sheri new
      #81948 - 06/22/04 11:38 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

there are some people on the boards who are also dieting or watching their calories. you can find some of them in the Living Room and others on the Vegas boards. come on over! (note: Vegas boards aren't just for those of us going to Vegas, ya know!)

btw, i am a fan of Weight Watchers. their Points counting is an easy as all get out system to follow and totally easy to adapt to any dietary restrictions you may have (like IBS). you may want to give it a try...

*j (not a paid Weight Watchers spokesperson )

--------------------

#82016 - 06/22/04 02:03 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

Please be careful, as you're already underweight. That's probably why you're hungry. I'd recommend eating normal and working out, that way you can get muscle and be toned. Is there a reason you're purposely keeping yourself underweight and were only eating one meal a day? Do you have food/weight issues?

--------------------
IBS-C

#82017 - 06/22/04 02:03 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Sheri, come on over to the Vegas Board, we report in and support each other daily! They let me in even though I'm not going to Vegas!! It's fun!

Just FYI, I'm 5'6" and 131 trying to get back down to 125 to get rid of my pot belly! I shoot for 1300 calories a day broken out as three meals of 300 calories and four snacks of 100 calories. If I exercise, then I can have more. This is for SLOW gradual weight loss which is the only way I can do it.

So like I said, comeon over, the more the merrier!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Laura Sue new
      #82171 - 06/23/04 06:16 AM
Sheri01

I thought that I may be outcasted due to the fact that I am not overweight and do not need to lose, just want to stay fit. Or get fit, rather. I do not consider myself fit, but I am definately not in the need to lose weight! I do need tone, though! I think it was a mixture of slowing down athletic wise, developing bad eating habits, AND getting IBS that made parts of me jiggle.
Whenever people tease me about watching what I eat, I tell them it's Preventitive Maintenance. (As in making sure I don't gain rather than waiting til that point to lose! I know it only gets harder as you get older!)
Maybe I'll lurk around the Vegas board for awhile, and jump in if I feel comfortable. The funny thing is that you all are going to Vegas like one week before I turn 21!
Thanks for the invite!

--------------------
-Sheri

Fishnets (long post!) new
      #82180 - 06/23/04 06:54 AM
Sheri01

Fishnets,
I think I may have been alittle confusing in my previous post! I don't eat one meal a day, I eat about two normal size and one small one, with many snacks. Since I am hypoglycemic I have found eating frequently helps keep my energy and well being up. SInce I am getting used to the diet and have stabilized, I am just making sure that I don't eat too much without realizing. Since I am still figuring out the diet and always have food on my mind, I don't want to eat just for the sake of eating. I am trying to fill the food pryamid requirements, though.
You say that I am really underweight, but I was at one time almost twenty pounds lighter at the same height. I was also dangerously thin and having a bout of anorexia.
So, I make sure I limit how much I weight myself, because I seem to get too fixated on the number and not how I look.
I don't really have food issues anymore, but I did as an adolescent. As much as she denies it, part of this is my mother's fault. Anytime, even when I was stick thin, I ate something fattening, she would make sure she pointed it out. SHe even felt the need to tell me as an early teen that bread was fattening! Potatoes also. She was a low carb to lose weight fan before the fad began.
I actually got in a screaming match with her about two weeks ago when I visited (I live on my own now), it started out as a disagreement over the effectiveness of the Atkins diet. She said that my argument was my opinion, but it was all based on fact! Whatever. Funny thing is that my mom's love of Atkins brought me here! I told her that no matter how much I excercised, and cutting out junk foods, I could not get rid of my little gut. She handed me Atkins book, and I pointed out how the major foods were too time consuming to prepare (red meats- this was still during the school year and I work full time) or I couldn't handle because of my tummy (dairy). She suggested I do a search for diets that mention IBS- the next day I did- and Voila! eatingforibs.com!
Another funny but sad thing is that after putting me through all of this, she has babied my little bro (just turned sixteen), and he is the only one in the family that is not stick thin, in fact he has gotten quite obese and I feel really worried about the probable future health problems he will have.
To sum everything up- if I try to gain weight it will go to my tummy and butt, everything else will stay small. I want abs of steel and a non- jiggly butt. I do realize I have less work to do than I though, some of my belly was from being bloated- I never realized I was! (I'm a D)
I apologize for such a long post and being so long-winded. If you read this, that means you took the time to listen, so if you need to get anything of your chest (even off topic), feel free, I will extend the same courtesy!
Thank you for your concern also!
-Sheri

--------------------
-Sheri

Thanks- I'll look into it! Love the new sig pic! -nt- new
      #82182 - 06/23/04 06:55 AM
Sheri01

--------------------
-Sheri

Thanks- I'll have to check it out! -nt- new
      #82183 - 06/23/04 06:56 AM
Sheri01

--------------------
-Sheri

#82184 - 06/23/04 06:57 AM
mandykay

Reged: 06/18/04
Loc: Massachusetts

Please be careful with the calorie restriction. 750 is way too low for anyone. I'm new to dealing with IBS but I have had an eating disorder and still deal with related issues to this day. I've spent countless hours researching nutrition and fitness and meet with a nutritionist on occasion. She once gave me a print out noting that a young women that is sedentary (meaning she does not even get out of bed) needs roughly 1400 calories a day just for her body (vital internal organs like your brain, liver, pancreas, heart, etc.) to function properly. From there you really need to take into account your activity level which will up your caloric intake needs. Plus you are quite underweight for 5'8" (don't rely on Hollywood's unrealistic standard...that's where most problems start)....I'm 5'8 too and my nutritionist said at 130 I could stand to gain a few pounds too. At my height, weight and activity level (highly active) my caloric needs to maintain my present are around 2400 (we are all different- genetics, activity level, etc. so from one person to the next caloric requirements can vary quite a bit). That is on the high end for women but I am really active. Just somethings for you to think about. Also, having IBS makes dealing with my eating disorder issues that much harder since we are better off eating more frequently throughout the day. But we have to realize food is fuel for our bodies and if we want to live long, healthy lives our diets are crucial.
One last thing I just need to mention on caloric restrictions (sorry to ramble on this topic but it is something very near and dear to me). By restricting your body of needed calories and nutrients you are hurting yourself more in the long run as far as weight goes. Your body takes caloric restriction as starvation and that serves to slower your metabolism and thus your fat burning potential. Your body is like a wood fire.....to keep it burning to need to routinely add more wood....just like to keep your body going to need to routinely nourish it....that's why the smaller, more frequent meals are highly recommended. I hope some of that was of use.

--------------------
Mandy

MandyKay new
      #82248 - 06/23/04 08:55 AM
ibsgrl

Reged: 04/18/04
Loc: Canada

Thank you for your post. It was so true and made me think about myself a lot. I loved the analogy of the body as a wood fire.

mandykay (caution- EXTREMELY long post) new
      #82304 - 06/23/04 09:56 AM
Sheri01

Hey mandy,

I don't know if you read my post to fishnets, it explained things better than my initial post did. I was always told that 130 lbs is the ideal weight for my height by my doctors ( I am exactly 5'7 3/4"), and I was almost up to that right before I started the IBS diet, and I was extra bloated from my period when I weighed myself, so it was not entirely accurate. I don't beleive that I would look good at 130 lbs, but if I do gain and still look right, I am not against it. I must have lead weights hidden somewhere in my bones, because I do not look my weight. When people guess my weight they usually say 100 lbs. It's kinda fun to shock people, though. Some people don't even believe me when I tell them I am 120!
but, you did finally make something sink in- I mentioned to fishnets that I used to get obsessed with the # of my weight, rather than how I looked. I am sure I could easily get sucked into being obsessed with numbers of calories!
I guess the point I am trying to make is that I don't know how much my body needs to be healthy, and after years of going through all this stuff it doesn't seem to know either. If my body needs x amount to be healthy, I don't want to eat x + y. Does that seem to make sense? Or is this one of those things it's hard to understand unless you are in someone's head?
I was recently more focusing on the food pyramid (Heather's version) and making sure I got in the required servings of those food groups, rather than counting cals. I thyink the whole calorie thing may go back to my fight with my Mom, when she said to me that if she ate everything on the food pyramid in a day she would blow up like a cow. This somehow led to our Atkin's diet fight (refer to my post to fishnets for more details on that). I pointed out to her that a serving of grain is like on piece of bread, so eating two sandwiches and two pretzel snacks is all it takes to get in the grain requirements. Portions do matter! One serving of pretzels is not half the bag, it's like five single ones (depending on style of course).
aargh. I got in the conversation at work yesterday that my biggest fear is gaining weight and becoming overweight, as shallow as that sounds. I think it's because I used to (and still do to a certain extent) have such low self-esteem. the cards were really against me since I was little to have happy life and feel good about myself. Undiagnosed panic attacks and hereditary depression also played their part. (ever hear of a third grader contemplating suicide for no reason at all?) I even had to go to a special high school because I had such bad social anxiety. I feel I have outgrown it now, but the scars are still there. Literally and figuratively.
Also, weight wise, I have an older evil sister that I no longer talk to that has added to my probelm. (she is a year older and bent on making me miserable- I moved out of my parents house and out on my own last year at the age of nineteen cause she would physically attack me and my parents would do nothing about it. They told me that I had to go to counseling or move. I chose move. She had the same conditions too. Guess who still lives there?)
When we were children, everyone would always ooohhh about how skinny and tall she was (we were both skinny, but she was all bones and had her spurt first). Which of course made me feel like the fat toad. My late great grandmother , although she meant no harm, would say she could tell which one of us was which by grabbing our arms because I had "more meat on my bones". (she was blind).
Wow. I though I locked all of this away for good, but it just came spilling out.
I really apologize if this was Too Much Info, I just want to be understood, and this board is the only place and people that I have ever felt have actually listened to me with an open mind and without judgement.
Conclusion- I will go back to following the food pyramid. I will not keep myself from eating if my tummy growls. I will stop listening to my Mom when it comes to dietary advice. I will keep excercising regularly because it is improving my self esteem and energy level. I will not freak out if something jiggles. I will keep eating my snacks, cause they help with my blood sugar. I will also try to write shorter posts.
Thank you so much mandy and fishnets and everyone on the board!

--------------------
-Sheri

Re: Fishnets (long post!) new
      #82310 - 06/23/04 10:04 AM
tarabara04

Reged: 04/06/04
Loc: Bay Area, California, USA

I'm sorry you had to go through that. I'm not hypoglycemic but I've lost a bunch of weight and now I just eat when I'm hungry. I too don't eat big meals. I just kind of nibble all day. That way I can keep the most energy without eating too much and having an attack. Anyhow, I think that you are a strong person to go through all of that. Basically, as long as you eat healthy food and have a healthy lifestyle, I think you are fine. If you hang out with your brother and go on walks with him, or maybe cook with him to show him healthy stuff, he will develop a healthy lifestyle too. I think you are right on for not worrying about your weight number but just wanting a healthy lifestyle. The only time I've been considered a very healthy weight was when I've been sick, so that's not really healthy. So, just try to be healthy, which you already are, maybe weight train or something like that. You are really strong to post about this and I am giving you a big hug. Good luck!

--------------------
If you live life to love, you'll love to live life.

Re: mandykay (caution- EXTREMELY long post) new
      #82311 - 06/23/04 10:05 AM
ibsgrl

Sheri, ur a great girl. Its nice to have someone who has an open mind to new possibilities and willing to consider others views.
Never worry about too much info here - its great that you have somewhere to vent - shorter posts arent necessary!

Re: Tarabara new
      #82324 - 06/23/04 10:24 AM
Sheri01

Thank you so much- that means so much to me!

--------------------
-Sheri

Thanks! You are always so positive! -nt- new
      #82327 - 06/23/04 10:26 AM
Sheri01

--------------------
-Sheri

Counting Calories--to Sheri new
      #82415 - 06/23/04 12:27 PM
Saralou

Reged: 10/18/03
Loc: Maryland

Hi Sheri,

I haven't posted in a while, but after reading your emails, I felt compelled to do so. I understand what you are going through, almost 100%. I am 5'7 and a 1/2 (you beat me!) and weigh 123. I battled an eating disorder (anorexia and bullemia) for a while and am finally settling down (I realized, after much trial and error and struggle, that the eating disorder was making my IBS symptoms worse). I decided that fitting a bit more snuggily in my jeans was better than the IBS pain that was made worse by the bingeing, etc. I am also athletic, I workout religiously and eat very well. I too find it very hard to get those nice firm abs I have always dreamed of. It seems no matter how little I may eat, how long I may do cardio or how many situps I do, I still have the overlying pudge and the love handles. The fact of the matter is that we are a product of our genes and, most people do not have washboard stomachs and very low body weight, naturally.
I too ate 2 decent size meals (breakfast, lunch) and had a bowl of fruit for dinner. I found that this kept my weight steady. But, at one point, I dropped down to 115lbs and since then, I have not been able to get my period naturally and have had amenorrhea for nearly a year now. I am trying to adopt the IBS eating guideline and it is hard to make the changes because generally, people like us have major control issues, even if we don't think we do. We are in love with schedules and deplore change and flexibility.
I understand your desire to stay fit and want to fit a perfect mold, in your mind. But it just simply is not worth the risk. I have had friends hospitalized because of eating disorders, calorie restrictions and low weight. Some have been in a state of depression ever since and many are on medication. One even died because of chemical imbalances that can occur when you do not get enough food/nutrients/oxygen to the brain, etc.
We live in a society that is constantly promoting the idea that beauty is one size fits all. Look around...that certainly is not the case. Hollywood stares us in the face (I'm from LA by the way) and glossy magazine covers grace millions of aisles...I worked at an agency...they don't all look like that and those who do, well, good for them. The 'idea' of beauty is fashionable in that it comes and goes. Stopped by a museum lately? The 'idea' of beauty not so very long ago was a well-rounded woman with curves.
I have also battled, and still do, low self-esteem and lack of confidence. I have a negative outlook on life and internalize everything. I have had many panic/anxiety attacks and stress-related breakdowns. I am convinced that it is because of all of this that I developped and continue to have symptoms of IBS.
It's a scary road. Luckily, my mother was very supportive and I don't have a sister (although I had a very skinny best friend growing up--she was a model--and her mother sort of played the role of yours and your sister when it came to telling me that if I only lost a few more pounds...and I was never heavy to being with).
I am sorry that you are going through this but know that there is plenty of support out there and this is a great place/site to start.
I don't know what your situation is, but I do know that if you busy yourself with other things/activities that do not involve food, you will be less likely to obsess over food and your weight. It's hard to get out there when you have social anxiety and a strict busy routine (believe me, I know) but it helps A LOT!
Everyone is different, but no one should be consuming less than 1200 calories/day (and that is to lose weight) that I know for sure. There are many sites that will give you an estimate as to how much a person of your height/activity level should be consuming (as other people have mentioned). Going to see a nutritionist is definitely a good idea as they deal with this all the time. I know that for myself, a very active individual, I am right on the border of underweight/healthy (I should be consuming around 1900 cals/day to maintain my present weight--I work out 5 days a week, cardio for 30 mins and 30-45mins weight training). I can tell you from experience that if you want to tone up, you need to weigh more. When you do not weigh enough or are losing too much weight, your metabolism slows down (as someone else has already pointed out) but your muscle depletes as well and you end up with sag. I have noticed that the times where I have had the most definition and muscle is when I weighed a bit more.
I have also been told that I should be around 130lbs and am not comfortable with that idea (my cheeks swell up and I feel as though I look like a chimpmunk storing nuts for the winter). Ironically, all the times I was 'heavier' in my life, I was happier, I had a boyfriend...I am now single and not a very happy person.
All I know is that health is number 1. We think that because we are young, that we have all the time in the world to make amends....but our bodies do not forget and forgive very difficultly.
Be good to yourself. Stay away from those who bring you down and find another sourse of support (like us!) and remember that looking the part on the outside, does nothing much for your state of mind, at least not in the long run.
Good luck--here if you need/want to talk.

Saralou

Re: Counting Calories--to Sheri new
      #82447 - 06/23/04 02:11 PM
Sheri01

Wow- it seeems like we have alot in common! Two way street here- you need some support I will do my best to try and help! ( I am citing myself for excessive use of exclamation points- I'll try to quit) Thanks you so much for everything you said. I am realizing my ridiculousness now- hopefully I can get over this! My boyfriend will be happy if I do, he gets upset when I obsess over it. He is the only one that I slip infront of and do one of my bad habits- I lift up my shirt part way and check out my tummy to make sure that it is not sticking out. I guess I'll have to accept that I am not as young as I used to be.
I really feel like I have matured alot lately, and am turning over a new leaf in life. And all of you have helped alot.
Thank you so much for your post Saralou- I'll try to keep track of you!

--------------------
-Sheri

Re: Counting Calories--to Sheri new
      #82454 - 06/23/04 02:23 PM
Saralou

Anytime Shari--I know what it's like, as I said, and it's not easy to calm down and risk losing control. But u can do it, it takes time and effort but it's worth it...you're worth it.

SaraLou new
      #82455 - 06/23/04 02:27 PM
ibsgrl

Wow, what a deep post. I felt like I was reading my own story! I too battled with an eating disorder, mine was mild and reached the conclusion that it was a MAJOR factor in my IBS - aggravating it and making it much worse than it would have ever been if I hadn't done that to myself in the first place.
Unfortunately its so bad that I hardly feel like working out anymore so I have started to ride my bike outside instead. Just wondering, are you IBS C or D and how old are you?
I totally agree with your post and how difficult it is these days for many of us to accept the way they are. It can really be a struggle. It was actually interesting that this topic came up because there seem to be quite a few that have had this problem, and now have IBS. Just yesterday I read that Mary Kate Olsen, one of the Olsen twins, is in a treatment facility now for anorexia. It makes me sad because she's in the public eye and has already been critcized for being too thin and now she's going to have to deal with all the questions and media frenzy afterwards. Sometimes society can be so cruel!

Great post, Saralou! So much wisdom! -nt- new
      #82506 - 06/23/04 04:28 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#82510 - 06/23/04 04:42 PM
fishnets

Quote:

Fishnets,
I think I may have been alittle confusing in my previous post! I don't eat one meal a day, I eat about two normal size and one small one, with many snacks. Since I am hypoglycemic I have found eating frequently helps keep my energy and well being up. SInce I am getting used to the diet and have stabilized, I am just making sure that I don't eat too much without realizing. Since I am still figuring out the diet and always have food on my mind, I don't want to eat just for the sake of eating. I am trying to fill the food pryamid requirements, though.
You say that I am really underweight, but I was at one time almost twenty pounds lighter at the same height. I was also dangerously thin and having a bout of anorexia.
So, I make sure I limit how much I weight myself, because I seem to get too fixated on the number and not how I look.
I don't really have food issues anymore, but I did as an adolescent. As much as she denies it, part of this is my mother's fault. Anytime, even when I was stick thin, I ate something fattening, she would make sure she pointed it out. SHe even felt the need to tell me as an early teen that bread was fattening! Potatoes also. She was a low carb to lose weight fan before the fad began.
I actually got in a screaming match with her about two weeks ago when I visited (I live on my own now), it started out as a disagreement over the effectiveness of the Atkins diet. She said that my argument was my opinion, but it was all based on fact! Whatever. Funny thing is that my mom's love of Atkins brought me here! I told her that no matter how much I excercised, and cutting out junk foods, I could not get rid of my little gut. She handed me Atkins book, and I pointed out how the major foods were too time consuming to prepare (red meats- this was still during the school year and I work full time) or I couldn't handle because of my tummy (dairy). She suggested I do a search for diets that mention IBS- the next day I did- and Voila! eatingforibs.com!
Another funny but sad thing is that after putting me through all of this, she has babied my little bro (just turned sixteen), and he is the only one in the family that is not stick thin, in fact he has gotten quite obese and I feel really worried about the probable future health problems he will have.
To sum everything up- if I try to gain weight it will go to my tummy and butt, everything else will stay small. I want abs of steel and a non- jiggly butt. I do realize I have less work to do than I though, some of my belly was from being bloated- I never realized I was! (I'm a D)
I apologize for such a long post and being so long-winded. If you read this, that means you took the time to listen, so if you need to get anything of your chest (even off topic), feel free, I will extend the same courtesy!
Thank you for your concern also!
-Sheri

Hi! I know how you feel, I too had an eating disorder, which is actually the reason I got IBS. That sucks that your mom did that, seems like parents can take their fears of themselves and put them on their kids (my dad still "blames" me for eating foods, I try to ignore it). Sorry I misunderstood what you said, for some reason I thought you meant you ate only one meal a day! Anyway, I just hope you realize you still may have a skewed vision of what you look like, I'm sure you don't have a jiggly butt! But it's good to be fit and exercise, just make sure you don't get triggered, and make sure you eat enough. Just making sure you're ok! (I always get worried when people diet!)

--------------------
IBS-C

#82546 - 06/23/04 06:25 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Hey Sheri and Jules,

I'm a big fan of fitday.com - I count calories too, not to lose weight but just to make sure I'm getting a healthy amount to maintain my weight. Also I can check to make sure I'm not getting too much fat, that I am getting enough fiber, and that I'm getting all the required nutrients. It's a pretty cool site and really easy to use! 750 is definitely way too low. You probably need at VERY LEAST 1350 cals a day.

Sheri01 RE: (caution- EXTREMELY long post) new
      #82639 - 06/24/04 05:35 AM
mandykay

Hi Sheri,

No bother with the length. I know mine was a bit long too but this issue along with IBS are very near and dear to me right now in my life so I tend to let my info spill. It seems like you certainly have had issues in your life that would lead you to your current feelings regarding your looks, weight, etc. and with IBS and the diet focus that only makes those issues worse. It is hard to deal with both issues at the same time but it is even harder to deal with one and not take into account the other. Our society and the unrealistic standards it makes us women feel we need to live up to can be overwhelming at times. I'll try to get you some good links to websites with good info on body fueling. Definitely don't get caught up with a number on the scale. If you take care of yourself (proper diet, exercise, low-stress, etc) you'll be doing yourself good in the long run and your appearance, feelings, etc. should reflect that. Try not to worry about what others say because their is so much information out there in the world today (and much of it incurrate and misleading) that people often form incorrect conclusions. It seems like your family has placed quite a burden on you through the years regarding your appearance even though you've likely been too thin. Please try not to hold yourself to these unrealistic standards and realize all the good things about yourself. In the grand scheme of life how important is a number on a scale or a few pounds here or there. The important thing is to feel good. I can relate to your story of growing up with your thinner sister though it sounds like you really were not that far from her and she may just have been too skinny as a child.....a bony look is never a healthy one. I have an older sister and she was always the thin (though a healthy thin not too skinny), pretty, girly cheerleading type where as a child I was the chubby, tom boy. Through hard work that I continue to this day (and struggles with eating disorders) I am no longing that chubby child but I live in fear of that on a daily basis (my healthy appetite doesn't help!). The IBS only adds to these issues though and makes eating more of a focus when I was trying to take the focus off of that in my life. Well I don't want to ramble on too much but just wanted to let you know that I could relate to what you had written. I'm sure we'll have more to communicate in the future and I look forward to it. Hope some of this is helpful or at least comforting to hear.

--------------------
Mandy

#82642 - 06/24/04 05:40 AM
mandykay

Hi Fishnets,
I too had (and still deal with some issues) and eating disorder and I noticed you said that is what caused your IBS. Do you mind me asking how that is? Just wondering if that is likely the cause of my issues now. Any tips, advice, insight, etc. would be much appreciated.

--------------------
Mandy

Re: MandyKay new
      #82643 - 06/24/04 05:43 AM
mandykay

Thanks. I wasn't sure if I was giving too much info or rambling on but I have so much information on proper nutrition, exercise, etc. in my head and worry so much about women and eating issues/disorders in our society that sometimes it all comes out. If just one person got something out of it then it was well worth it.

--------------------
Mandy

Re: Counting Calories - so much in common new
      #82649 - 06/24/04 06:03 AM
mandykay

Hello,
It definitely seems like many of us can relate to one another since we've all had and likely still deal with eating and body issues. Saralou thanks for your post. I agree with much of what you have said and have been through it. I just get worried about the talk of body weight. I'm about 5' 7 3/4" and weigh about 130. While I tend to feel "fat" on certain days I attribute a lot of it to the bloating and general abdominal distentation that I have as symptoms of my IBS. I did some searching and for a SMALL framed person (not sure your frame size or Sheri01's but I'm a medium frame with an athletic build I am proud of) a healthy weight range is 123 to 136 and for a medium framed person it is 133 to 147. Just some info I found interesting. I would just urge anyone not to get too caught up on a number. Scales can are not 100% accurate so you a few pound differential built it. Then you can weigh more or less (generally more as the day progresses) depending on the time of day, weight you ate/drank, what you are wearing, and with IBS....what is sitting in your colon. I definitely agree that getting more involved in other activities to divert your attention from food issues 24/7 is critical I just find that hard at times in dealing with the anti-social times that IBS brings. I'm glad we have each to share this with.
Thanks everyone!

--------------------
Mandy

Hi ibsgrl new
      #82687 - 06/24/04 07:51 AM
Saralou

You are absolutely right; it does seem to be nearly impossible to fit a perfect mold, and y should we? Even those who we deem perfect (Olsen twins, for eg) have skeletons in their closet and are unhappy about something or another. To me it always made sense that IBS patients would be very succeptible to eating disorders because much like IBS, it can often underlie a control issue. The egg and the chicken question then arises. As individuals dealing with IBS, we constantly are dealing with food, monitoring, stress, inflexibility, depression, low self-esteem, etc...all give way to a plethora of problems.
It is sad that so much focus is put on aesthetics, particularly in Western Society (and the US being top on the list). But we all perpetuate it in some fashion or another, unknowingly most generally. I too want to look great and have that perfect body...but, we must ask ourselves, at what cost? And does the perfect figure and weight make us happy? Perhaps momentarily...but most definitely not forever.
The eating disorder exacerbated my IBS big time and if for no other reason, giving that up to avoid the pain was more than enough.
It's hard being a woman in today's society, we are constantly confronted with men's ideas of the perfect woman and very often shun by other women for fear of competition...but here we are, coming together on this site and for a moment, not bothering with whether or not ur a size 2...
In answer to your question, I am 23 and I have IBS C.
I see that you are in Ontario. I lived in Canada for 5 yrs (Montreal and frequent visits to TO...loved it!)

Saralou

Counting Calories - so much in common--mandykay new
      #82689 - 06/24/04 07:57 AM
Saralou

Hey mandykay,

That is quite interesting that many of us have had or are still facing eating disorders along with the IBS...could make for an interesting paper!
Not so surprising though, in the day and age that we live in and given the fact that IBS is a stress/anxiety related illness, much like anorexia/bullimia are...

Re: MandyKay new
      #82699 - 06/24/04 08:11 AM
ibsgrl

Hey - don't worry about giving too much info - advice and information is always appreciated here.
I read your post to fishnets as well and saw you asked about how she thought her eating disorder was the cause or partial cause of her IBS.
Well, this is how I see it. For me, I would eat far too little throughout the day and then a normal meal at night. I always exercised every day on an empty stomach. Well my theory is that I was not giving my stomach the proper nutrition or amount of food to function properly and I guess because it never knew when I would "feed it" it just became really out of whack, causing the C and pain.
Now that I am eating frequently, and small amounts, at least this is what I am supposed to be doing, although in my opinion, the damage has already been done.

Re: Hi ibsgrl new
      #82706 - 06/24/04 08:16 AM
ibsgrl

Hey SaraLou,
I have to firstly say that you write so well and so eloquently (sp?) Is that your profession
Anyway, I understand what you mean about the pain being enough to give it up. When I see people who are still trying to starve themselves, etc, I wish you could show them how it could possibly be for them down the line.
That's cool that you lived in Canada before, did you go to school there or in Maryland?
I don't know if I mentioned this already but I'm ibs-c too and I am 18 (but 19 in 3 months! )
Thanks for your great post.

it is very interesting... new
      #82709 - 06/24/04 08:21 AM
ibsgrl

how many of us, just on this site have had the ed issues and now IBS. I'm surprised there is not more literature already on their connection.
It's nice to have people to share in this with. For me its a difficult pill to swallow so to speak because I feel bad that the majority of people here have IBS "just because" or "naturally" and I feel that I voluntarily exacerbated my condition. Still, I know that they will support me anyway and for that I am truly grateful.

Ibsgrl new
      #82750 - 06/24/04 09:30 AM
Saralou

Please don't think that you 'gave this to yourself'. We have all developped this for similar underlying reasons: stress, anxiety, worry, negative thinking, etc. It just so happens that you manifested that through an eating disorder. We all have our outlets and ways of 'coping'. Some people drink, some gamble, some binge/purge/don't eat...and we do it because deep down (for some) we are unhappy. You didn't give it to yourself, you're body is telling you to stop and change your lifestyle through an altered eating habit and stress-relievers because it is not willing to put up with it anymore. Some could argue that IBS is a blessing in disguise (although i know it certainly does not feel like it!) because it's your body's way of telling you that you are impacting it in an unhealthful way and need to change or pay the price.
Take courage, we're all in this together!

Re: Ibsgrl new
      #82762 - 06/24/04 09:42 AM
ibsgrl

Thanks SaraLou, maybe it is a "blessing in disguise". Hard to accept, but you're right. Thanks for your support, I look forward to "talking" with you more!

Is it coincidence? new
      #82798 - 06/24/04 10:57 AM
Sheri01

This is so weird- even though I didn't have symptoms and thought I was still normal, after I started eating again after being anorexic - I noticed that anytime after I ate something I had to rush right to the bathroom. I did get alot better, but things were never the same, yet I don't hink I had it yet at that time. It's kinda hard to remember. And I blame for in my depressed times I would pop pills for comfort, it didn't even matter if they wouldn't alter my mentality, sometimes I would even just take whatever antibiotics where around the house. It is just clicking now about gut flora and how I may had damaged myself.
But, my IBS actually hit when I was so depressed. I hated my job and was treated badly by all coworkers. But I was making 2 x what I'd make anywhere else. My boyfriend at the time was extremely emotionally abusive.
What is weird is that I now beleive that he had (or has, rather) IBS and either didn't know or was too embarrassed to tell me. I always thought i "caught" my problems from him- even though I know it's impossible!
Is this more than coincidence? Hopefully one day they will unravel all of the mysteries of IBS!

--------------------
-Sheri

Of course it is! -nt- new
      #82799 - 06/24/04 10:59 AM
Sheri01

--------------------
-Sheri

"Anorexics Scared Straight!" -nt- new
      #82801 - 06/24/04 11:08 AM
Sheri01

--------------------
-Sheri

Re: Is it coincidence? new
      #82840 - 06/24/04 12:39 PM
Saralou

I don't think it is a coincidence at all. I think all of the things you mentioned: not eating, abusive boyfriend and coworkers, working at a place that made you unhappy, popping pills, being depressed...all had to do with your system finally breaking down. The body is very resilient, but only up to a certain point. After a while of abusing it (mostly through no fault of your own) it gives up and makes you pay for treating yourself poorly, mentally, emotionally as well as physically. Luckily, you can retrain your body. It takes time and you might not feel the way you used to, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Take one day at a time and know that each time you feel down, are cynical or are in a situation where you are unhappy (i.e. work, relationship etc...) you need to do what you can to get out of it. Your body, health and life depend on it!

Re: Hi ibsgrl new
      #82843 - 06/24/04 12:49 PM
Saralou

Hey there! I went to school in Montreal, McGill, to be exact. Thanks for the compliments. I am not a writer (although I was an English major in undergrad). I am presently a fellow at the National Institutes of Health, more specifically, the National Cancer Institute. I am lucky in that I have all the major health info at my fingertips but am constantly frustrated about the lack of research/studies and focus that eating disorders and IBS get. They are both so common and often intertwined and yet people suffer in silence because they are ashamed and little money, in comparison, is spent to further the cause. The media continuously berate individuals, and in a very American way, describe the 'problems' as an individual responsibility in which the blame lies mostly with the person at hand; not my view to say the least.
In any case, I wouldn't worry too much about having screwed up your system. As I said in another post, your can retrain your body. Dealing with eating disorders, we forget how to listen to our bodies needs. We must relearn these methods and become in tune with ourselves. I believe it is possible to overcome IBS and eating disorders. It takes patience, time, and hope. I'm working on all three, I hope you will do the same.

NIH new
      #82845 - 06/24/04 01:07 PM
mindyj

Reged: 05/14/04
Loc: Northern Virginia

Saralou-
I live in the DC area as well. My family is in a study at NHI on melanoma. I have some freinds who are applying for jobs there now - I know they do lots of good work! Let us know if you ever hear of things there doing on tummy issues!
Also - from someone who's weight has gone heywire with having IBS and is very sensative to body issues and internalizes everything - you're words on this thread have been very encouraging!
thanks,

Min

Re: NIH new
      #83058 - 06/25/04 07:29 AM
Saralou

Hey Min,

I was also going to participate in a study here. I hope that your family is OK.
We don't hear much about IBS, at least not at NCI. I will certainly keep the board abreast of any such findings. I believe that IBS gets a mere 1% of government funding. Might sound like a lot when you're dealing with millions of dollars, but not when you look at the recent cutbacks that the Bush administration has issued nor when you consider that IBS affects as many people as it does (and that 15-20% of the population count only comprises those who have health care, not the 40 million in this country who do not).
I am glad that my words were encouraging, yours and the rest of the board are as well...thanks.

Saralou

#83406 - 06/26/04 06:06 AM
Cathie

Reged: 06/21/04

HI Sheri,
It sounds like you might not be eating enough. I've read up on this topic and from what I have read most will state that you should not drop your calorie intake below 1,200 calories per day. You could purchase a small cheap calorie counter book for items that don't list the calories, fat, etc... One of the things I have also read is that if you multiply your weight by the number 12... that is the number of calories you need to sustain your current weight, you won't gain and won't lose. Then you could either subtract a few hundred from that number or best yet remain active to lose a few pounds per week. You really don't seem like you need to lost weight, but I know what you mean about being tone. Do you find that excercise helps with your IBS symtoms? I need to get active!
CAhty

#83459 - 06/26/04 09:02 AM
fishnets

Quote:

Hi Fishnets,
I too had (and still deal with some issues) and eating disorder and I noticed you said that is what caused your IBS. Do you mind me asking how that is? Just wondering if that is likely the cause of my issues now. Any tips, advice, insight, etc. would be much appreciated.

Well for a few years I became anorexic(on and off), then switched to bulimia for a few years(while bulimic I purged almost everything I ate). By the time I decided to try to eat normal/keep food down, my digestive system just couldn't take it! I knew that it's hard to go back to eating normal again, but a year into recovery and my digestive system was STILL all wacky, I knew something was wrong. So turned out it's IBS(along with other digestive problems). As far as advice, I'm not really sure, I guess just take things slow, try digestive aids like Beano. I know for myself, it took me about a year or more to be able to get to a point where I could digest beans that are mushed or in soup. How long ago did you stop your ED? Some advice- I notice times that I relapse and eat less, my IBS gets a lot worse! So make sure you eat enough, it really does mess things up.

--------------------
IBS-C

#83530 - 06/26/04 03:13 PM
ibsgrl

the same thing happened to me - i was never bulimic but it is the same thing in terms of digestion. With anorexia, there is nothing to digest in the 1st place so when you do eat your system is just out of whack. Bulimia, likewise, means that there is no food to digest either since it is thrown up before it can be digested. I just wish I had known how badly this stupid behavior can worsen IBS!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5162 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 17544

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review