All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
I tried peppermint oil and digestive enzymes and it was a nightmare!
      #81321 - 06/20/04 06:06 PM
till

Reged: 02/11/03

I took peppermint oil capsules and digestive enzymes days ago and it made me even sicker. I was crying and screaming it was that bad. I nearly passed out over and over. I had severe d ( which smelled like mint!), gas, gas pains, cramps, gas cramps, pressure from gas and fullness, fatique, weakness, dehydration, headache, and burning from back passage, bloating from peppermint capsules! I got severe bloating, gas, gas pressure, fullness from gas, gas pains, gas cramps from digestive enzymes! The hell lasted for like 2 or 3 days. I'm so exhausted now! They are suppose to be safe with no side effects! My IBS is already so severe it's horrible!
Never again will I take those things! It's like their poison to my bod!

p.s. I took them properly and I didn't take too many.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I tried peppermint oil and digestive enzymes and it was a nightmare! new
      #81327 - 06/20/04 06:28 PM

Unregistered

Angel,

I'm sorry, I know that was a scary situation. I took digestive enzymes from the health food store once and I was very ill. Like gagging, burping, severe bloating and diahrrea. Also had hot and cold flashes with a nervous feeling. I don't recommend those at all for someone with IBS.
Healther said once to stay away from herbs that claimed to be digestive aids. If it was something Heather herself recommended then I would trust it.

As far as the Peppermint Caps, most people on here who take them do fine. (unless they have acid reflux. Then they are not recommended)

If you took them together at one setting, I am not surprised you were so ill. Try things in little bits at time and only one thing at a time. Hang in there and be very careful! If you are unsure of a suppliment or it is not something you found on Heather's website,then ask Heather before you try it.

Hang in there!

Re: I tried peppermint oil and digestive enzymes and it was a nightmare! *DELETED* new
      #81328 - 06/20/04 06:36 PM
till

Reged: 02/11/03

Post deleted by Heather

#81330 - 06/20/04 06:43 PM

Unregistered

Hi again, I only have a minute. Hang in there with the message boards. There are a lot of different personalities here, though we cannot here eachother's voices, we can still tell if someone is being rude. Please Angel, be patient.

I read your bio you wrote. You said you like Christian music. My husband and I do too! We like Piller, Newsboys, Lucerin, Toby Mac.... How about you?

#81349 - 06/20/04 08:24 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I know I am new here but I have been reading this thread Angel and I have to tell you the people here are all sweethearts. I started on the ibsgroup.org site and there are real jerks there! They argue just for the sake of arguing. Everyone here is in the same boat and really wants to help. You have to understand (it is hard for me too!) that sometimes people know more than you. I had guessed before I looked at your bio that you were around 20. I know someone just like that -she is sure nothing anyone tells her will work for her, but if she just would trust others more experienced wisdom she would get better. I'm sorry someone recommended stuff that didn't seem to agree with you, but their recommendations were well-intentioned and things that are proven to work for lots of people. On the other site I mentioned, someone there recommends fasting all the time-now that is unwise advice. A doctor gave me zelnorm for my ibs-A without asking ANY questions recently and I had one of my worst bouts ever-it happens. But am I never going to any doctor again? No. I'm sure you want to get better but you have to take chances sometimes and some of them will backfire, but when millions of people are doing something you might want to give it a try. Lots of IBSers take anti-depressants, don't pass it off without a serious thought. I have an experience to tell you of when I was in 19 or 20. I was doing awful because I was trying correctol and couldn't get medical help since I had no insurance. I went to Florida and had papaya. It came out, still orange, in minutes. After that I thought 'I can't have papaya'. It made me feel special to have a food allergy somehow. Then I read Heather's advice recently about papaya being good for you. I ate it (a little bit at a time just to be sure) and I was fine. When I originally ate the papaya EVERYTHING was coming out still in tact a few minutes later. But I was stubborn and sure I was right.
People aren't out to get you but you would get along better if you humbled up and listened to what more experienced people have to say. SOMETIMES things work really bad for someone and great for others but take some advice and settle down. James 4:6 P.S. I have a tabby cat too that is the light of my life!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Little Minni new
      #81353 - 06/20/04 08:41 PM

Unregistered

That's a great verse Minni, James 4:6. (for myself too!)

Music...!? new
      #81460 - 06/21/04 09:07 AM
Bethany

Reged: 02/27/04
Loc: Nashville, TN

I saw that you two mentioned Christian music. My husband and I live in Nashville TN, and that is our main reason for moving down here from PA. My husband is in a band and his dream is to make Christian music his full time career! I too like all the bands you mentioned. My husbands band is a little more on the "rocky" side. I guess more like Pillar.

Just thought that was pretty cool!

--------------------
"Love isn't love, until you give it away!"

Edited by Bethany (06/21/04 09:09 AM)

#81650 - 06/21/04 03:57 PM
littleone24

Reged: 05/30/04
Loc: London, Ontario

digestive enzymes have actually lessoned the gas and bubbles i get right after eating.

#81651 - 06/21/04 03:58 PM
littleone24

Reged: 05/30/04
Loc: London, Ontario

the enzymes i take are "swiss herbal" full spectrum digestive enzymes. i take one before supper (usually). i always thought it helped?

Re: Music...!? new
      #81657 - 06/21/04 04:26 PM

Unregistered

Bethany! I hope for the best for you and you husband in Nashville. Christian music has come soooo far since the 80's (ha-I'm 31). My cousins used to play Amy Grant back then. It seemed as though Amy was the only cool one out there then.

My husband likes the rock style too, like: Chevelle, Kutless, GS Megaphone. My taste is a bit milder, I like Third Day, O.C. Supertones, Jeremy Camp, Crystal Lewis...

As far as eating for IBS, I love the Luna Bars you recommended! I am so chicken when it comes to trying that kind of stuff. But I had no problems with them.

BTW, I have relatives in Memphis and friends in Gallatin, TN.

Hope to see you around on the boards!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 172 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3378

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review