All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
New GI doc....is THIS nomal?!?!
      #79998 - 06/16/04 12:47 PM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

Ok, I just got referred from an internal med doc to a GI. Guy comes in, shakes my hand, listens for all of 30 seconds and says "I'm not going to slap a dianosis on you. We need to do some tests" Ok, fine. I haven't had any in several years so I'm agreeable. BUT the guy comes back in to examine my abdominal area and does so with ONE HAND IN HIS POCKET!! With four very vauge pokes and an, "is this sore?" DUH!! Yes it's sore or I wouldn't be here!!! Hello!?!?!?

So I underwent a blood test (CBC and Celiac panel) and now have a HUGE bruise on my arm, and I go for small intestine follow through tests on the 28th. Is this a normal place to start after a one handed exam? Colonoscopy will be next. In the mean time it is another antibiotic (Flagyl) after already 7 days of them 2 weeks ago, and an antacid (Protonix). Good grief!!!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I can't even spell today! Good Grief!! -nt- new
      #79999 - 06/16/04 12:48 PM
bamagirl

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Re: New GI doc....is THIS nomal?!?! new
      #80059 - 06/16/04 02:49 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Well, it seems a BIT casual, but not unusual based on my experience. My favorite good doc would rather discuss the stock market than symptoms! They're only human, they have good days and bad just like us. But I think it sounds like you're getting a reasonably good level of care. At least he didn't say it's all in your head!!

Good luck. Let us know how the follow up goes.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#80370 - 06/17/04 09:29 AM
annmarie

Reged: 03/31/03

Sometimes I think it's funny too after I visit my GI and realize he never even felt my stomach. He does once in awhile, but not every visit. I've had 2 GIs so far and they've both told me they really need to do the tests before they can diagnose, because a lot of the stuff it could be they can't feel from the outside. I have Crohn's so my doc feels around sometimes just to make sure there are no masses, but besides that my visit is usually just me commenting on my symptoms and him deciding what tests to use.

#80397 - 06/17/04 10:33 AM
KellyAndersson

Reged: 03/24/04
Loc: N.California

My surgeon always does a lot of feeling around and hunting with his hands for funny stuff, but the other posts are correct in implying that this might not be "abnormal" at all. My upper GI results a couple weeks back looked really weird, there's a section of upper intestine that looks really really weird, like bad weird, but it doesn't hurt AT ALL (the radiologist kept pushing on it and looking at me in disbelief, like "That doesn't hurt???? Are you sure???") but the surgeon says if it ain't botherin' me then we're not going to get too worried about it just yet. [shrug] At least your doc is onto the "let's test" routine, I've had docs who don't at all, they'll talk symptoms and feel around and not order any testing, ,,,,,,,,,, guess which one I prefer??

Thanks for the reassurance..... new
      #80401 - 06/17/04 10:43 AM
bamagirl

I am just so puzzled and tired of getting hit out of the blue with the D and the severe pain. The upper abdominal region still hurts too, and I just felt like this guy was a bit too casual.

But, I am glad tests are being run, and I know in the long run, it is the right thing! Thanks everyone for your kind reassurance.

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5222 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 645

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review