All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Kidney disorder & IBS
      #78458 - 06/12/04 06:03 PM
AFWife

Reged: 06/12/04

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the IBS site and look forward to hearing from all of you about OUR problem.

I have just looked at the soluble fiber foods listed and am shocked to see that with those foods I would obtain an enormous amount of potassium, which is not good for kidneys functioning only at 38%.

Any thoughts or ideas on my specific problem?

Thanks,

AFWife

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Kidney disorder & IBS new
      #78462 - 06/12/04 06:57 PM
ibsgrl

Reged: 04/18/04
Loc: Canada

Hi and Welcome to the boards! Just a quick question, are you IBS C or D...what foods do you currently eat, and of those foods on the list, what CAN you eat?

#78468 - 06/12/04 07:26 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Yes, water leach the potassium out. For example soaking peeled, and sliced potatoes in water for an hr. or 2 takes out a lot of the potassium. Cooking diced carrots well in a LOT of water, then draining will also take a lot out. You can water leach most veggies that way, even squashes. Avoid high potassium fruits. Rice and French breads should be ok, especially if they're not enriched. Chicken and turkey and fish shouldn't be a problem. The amount of water however is a problem for you. I'd check with your doc, or see a special needs dietition. You should be ok with soluble fiber suplements, especially acacia.

Do a google search for renal diets, tips and hints.

Hope this helps a little.

Kandee (BTW, assuming you mean Air Force, I'm an AF wife too, but he's retired now.)

--------------------

#78901 - 06/14/04 09:03 AM
annmarie

Reged: 03/31/03

I would agree with the water leaching method. My husband had a kidney transplant last year, but when he went on dialysis I started soaking potatoes and vegetables for him. They actually gave him this information at the dialysis center. It doesn't sound like you have low enough funtioning to be on dialysis yet, but I bet you could get some information from your nephrologist or the American Diabetes Association. I actually found they had a lot of helpful dietary information.

#80610 - 06/17/04 06:38 PM
AFWife

Thanks Kandee, I do have a web site that I go to for my kidney problems and they have diet info there. It just seems that one health problem can't be treated without some side effect hurting something else.
My husband is also retired (1978), and between the two of us we are immensely fortunate that we have Tricare and Medicare and the AF base close by.

AFWife
(Barbara)

#80614 - 06/17/04 06:43 PM
AFWife

Hi IBSgirl;
I started out D and have now went to C. I am lactose intolerant, so I stay away from dairy. I can eat a little red meats, turkey, chicken etc., and I do love my potatoes (blanched).
Thank you for your concern and I look forward to reading all the posts.

AFWife
(Barbara)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3041 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 699

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review