All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Ovarian Cancer Scare
      #78028 - 06/10/04 07:50 PM
Yvette

Reged: 06/10/04

First off, I'd like to thank Heather for taking on IBS as something of a mission in life. After suffering symptoms for years, and finally having my honeymoon almost ruined by them, I found Heather's website and book in late 2000 and it would be no exaggeration to say that the info changed my life.

I printed out the recommended tests and other info and brought them straight to my new doctor. Armed with such thorough research, I was hard to ignore, and the doctor proceeded to schedule every lab and test I needed to confirm that I had IBS. Since then, I've used Heather's suggestions for diet and exercise to keep some control of my symptoms.

My question is this: When did Ovarian Cancer join the list of ailments to be tested for? When I copied the list in 2000, it did not mention ovarian cancer, although it did include, and I was tested for, colon cancer.

Recent news about research into symptoms of ovarian cancer took me by surprise. Since 2002, I have been trying to get my doctors to notice a link between my IBS and my PMS symptoms. I'm convinced that the symptoms I feel, which are so like IBS, have their root in a gyn problem. But my doctors never listened. This weeks news of IBS-like symptoms being linked to cancer sent me straight to my clinic. I have an appt next week with the head doctor, and they seem to be taking me seriously now, but I'm so scared. I'm only 35.

Heather, could you please tell me when Ovarian Cancer made the list for ailments to be ruled out? I really wish I had visited your site on a regular basis after my diagnosis.

Thanks everyone for listening.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Ovarian Cancer Scare new
      #78056 - 06/10/04 10:47 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

I'm sure Heather will answer this too, but I wanted to tell you not to panic. Go and ask your doc for the simple blood test, CA-125 serum. It will dispel your fear about having ovarian cancer.

Kandee

--------------------

#78102 - 06/11/04 06:32 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

I have a friend who is an OC survivor (6+ years!), so I can tell you what her symptoms were like.

First of all, OC is pretty rare when you're young. Secondly, the bloating they talk about is not really regular IBS bloating where it comes and goes. It's all of a sudden (at least in my friend's case!), it's really severe (within a week, she was throwing up from it), and the latest guidelines I've seen say that you also feel like you have to pee really badly.

If you've felt bloated on and off for years and you're not getting that bladder pressure feeling, it's doubtful that you have OC. (It's also something that will spread pretty quickly, so you're not going to feel symptoms for years without getting really really ill!) The CA-125 blood test will tell you if you have any reason to worry, and an ultrasound can also be done to see if you have any growths. I would also think that if you are getting regular pelvic exams, they check to see whether they feel any ovarian irregularities.

After my buddy was diagnosed, I freaked out because I have IBS-related bloating. My doc pooh-poohed my worries, which peeved me at the time. Now that I know more about what she felt before her diagnosis and how IBS-related bloating feels, I agree with my doctor. This being said, get your butt to a doctor if you ALL OF A SUDDEN get severe and unrelenting bloating (something not fixable by a heating pad or herbal tea) along with the feeling that you really need to pee all the time NOW.

--AC

#78183 - 06/11/04 09:56 AM
####

Reged: 04/05/04

From what I understand, symptoms of ovarian cancer and IBS are similar. I asked my OB/GYN about this and he said that the one thing they check during those annual visits is ovairan cancer and when they are pushing around the area where your ovaries are, they would notice something were it there.

#111401 - 10/08/04 12:25 PM
AnneV

Reged: 06/10/04

I went to the Gynecologist yesterday and was told I was at a greater risk of having ovarian cancer since I do not have children (I am 43)- though it does not mean I ever will develop it. I checking on the internet - found there are similar symptoms as IBS. As a reminder - you should get checked yearly by your physician or if you think you are having ovarian cancer symptons see your doctor immediately. But in searching for some info on ovarian cancer I there is some promising breakthroughs research just announced this week.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1508&ncid=751&e=11&u=/afp/20041006/hl_afp/health_singapore_cancer

#111410 - 10/08/04 12:57 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Good reminder, Anne, thanks!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Re: COuld be endo! new
      #111472 - 10/08/04 03:19 PM
amo616

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Don't assume the gyn. link is cancer. It could be endometrioisis. GI symptoms are the second most common symptom of endo, after pelvic pain. It's not uncommon for endo to grow into the bowels.

--------------------

Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1599 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2878

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review