Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
New to the board -- Question
      #77966 - 06/10/04 01:30 PM
michele36

Reged: 06/10/04
Loc: Maryland

Hello all!

Thanks for all of the fantastic information (via your posts). I have read a lot of them -- and have also read both of Heather's books. They have been very helpful.

I suffer from IBS-D. Today someone told me that there is a correlation between IBS and birth control (bc) pills and also IBS and antibiotics. I am currently taking low dose bc AND a low dose antibiotic. Has anyone else heard of this? In order to feel better, I would be willing to stop both. However, I'm hesitant to do so if I'm just "grasping."

Thanks so much. I looked through the posts and searched the web, but was unable to find anything that might help.

--------------------
Be Happy!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: New to the board -- Question new
      #77967 - 06/10/04 01:35 PM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

I am not the best person to answer this, and I'm sure you'll get better responses from people who know a little more - but I KNOW I have read posts about antibiotics and bc and IBS. They DO have an affect on IBS. I am currently not taking any bc, but when I do go back on it, I'm going to see what other options there are (i.e. the shot or patch or whatever...)
Anyways, I didn't want to leave ya hanging, I'm sure others will write more and know more....
but GOOD LUCK! And welcome!
~Cara

--------------------
~Cara~

#77968 - 06/10/04 01:37 PM
michele36

Reged: 06/10/04
Loc: Maryland

Thank you, Cara. I appreciate the response.

--------------------
Be Happy!

BC/Antibiotics .....ohhhhh yeah! new
      #77971 - 06/10/04 01:48 PM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

The first thing my GI did when I was diagnosed IBS was to pull me off bc and caffeine. Also warned me about how antibiotics would make me much worse. Have been IBS-C for almost a year now, and antibiotics I just finished now have ME popping immodium! So, I can confidently tell you...yes, both bc and antibiotics are IBS triggers. Welcome to an informative and fun message board!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

#77973 - 06/10/04 01:49 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

I just wanted to welcome you.... sorry I don't have an answer to your question. But there are lots of others that will read this and I'm sure you will get a GREAT answer from one of the wonderful people here!

Again welcome.... ask as many questions as you like...I'll try to be more helpful next time!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#77974 - 06/10/04 01:54 PM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Quote:

I suffer from IBS-D. Today someone told me that there is a correlation between IBS and birth control (bc) pills and also IBS and antibiotics. I am currently taking low dose bc AND a low dose antibiotic. Has anyone else heard of this?

You do know that antibiotics reduce the effectiveness of the Pill, don't you? Does the doctor who prescribed the antibiotics know you're on the Pill, and vice versa? I mean, D is bad enough, an unwanted pregnancy would just be piling on!

Anyhow, assuming that all is well on the contraception front, antibiotics for sure can make IBS worse. You might want to consider a probiotic (I take Jarrodophilus) to help keep your gut bacteria healthy. And IBS is hormone-sensitive, so a low-dose pill is better than a high one. Personally, it hasn't bugged me that much, but I'm moving to a low-dose pill anyhow.

--AC, the contraception fanatic

#77983 - 06/10/04 02:53 PM
Mikala

Reged: 05/19/04
Loc: Greensboro, NC

Michele, I just wanted to say welcome to the boards, from one one "L" to another.

#77988 - 06/10/04 03:20 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Yes I am glad someone remembered about BC and antibiotics! Anyway I have had IBS 15 years and BC 11 years and it does work really well for me, but everyone is different. Many women get much worse symptoms around their period and I think BC pills help that. I have very light periods! and very little cramps and I never have more problems with IBS because of the pill. I just wanted you to have another opinion.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#77993 - 06/10/04 03:35 PM

Unregistered

Michele,

I used to take a b.c. pill and it did not make a difference in my IBS-D. But did you know that diahrrea and/or vomitting can weaken your pill too? It's almost like skipping a day. When I was on the pill, a bad day of "d" would cause break-thru bleading a day or two later.

My friend has IBS-A and says that the b.c. shot (don't remember it's name) has been to her benefit. So sounds to me like it varies from woman to woman, whether or not b.c. helps your IBS. Hope this helps and good luck!

#78078 - 06/11/04 05:40 AM
Ana Maria

Reged: 03/24/04

Hi Michele,

There was a discussion some time ago about bc pills and ibs - I can't find it right now but I think the "take home message" was that there is a connection there. I have found that my cycle affects my ibs - makes it worse - but I can't say the I've noticed any difference in my ibs when I've been off the pill. I think everyone is different...!

Ana

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 941 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1678

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review