All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Travel tips needed!
      #77944 - 06/10/04 12:23 PM

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Houston, TX

Hi all,

I'm going to be heading to my family reunion in about a month, and I'm thinking ahead.

This will be my first trip since beginning the IBS diet. I'll be on about a six hour car trip, then a three-four day motel stay.

I'm a little anxious about it. My extended family tend to make me nervous, which doesn't help my IBS *at all*. Plus, they're all very plain eaters - they almost never picked a restaurant that had anything I could eat on the menu when I was your standard dairy/egg eating vegetarian.

Now that I'm off dairy and high on soluable fiber...oy. I don't know what to do. Not to mention the fact that my no meat, no dairy, low fat diet makes fast-food drive throughs on the road a little challenging...

My solution thus far is to take my own little stash of safe foods and drinks to keep in my room.

But...what should I take? What do you guys take along when you travel? I'm thinking bottled water, plain bagels, maybe a little soy milk...any suggestions are welcome because I'm drawing a total blank on travel friendly safe foods!

God knows I'm gonna take a giant box of Immodium with me.

-- Aletha

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Travel tips needed! new
      #77945 - 06/10/04 12:25 PM
ibsgrl

Reged: 04/18/04
Loc: Canada

This might help ya!
web page

And maybe you could go to the websites of fast food places you think you might be stopping at during your trip and make a list of possibilities that are safe for you. Most of these chains have the nutritional info plus the list of ingredients for each product. Hope that helps

Re: Travel tips needed! new
      #77969 - 06/10/04 01:43 PM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

That is a good website to look at.......

I travel a LOT on the weekends...actually I have a family reunion for my husband's side this weekend! I absolutely hate staying in hotels, but I have to a lot.
I maybe over-do it, but last time, I actually brought my microwave! (I called and the cheap hotel didn't have one to use) I planned out every meal I would eat, and brought extra snacks just in case. I made my own chicken and rice and brought silverware and everything. I won't risk eating out because everytime I've tried, I've failed!

Also - do you have a hot pot? I just bought one and it's great for traveling, making tea, oatmeal, whatever you need hot water for.

Bring a big loaf of french bread, pretzals, Luna bars, etc. I bring a bag of food, and a big cooler of water or whatever has to be cold....and my freaking microwave! I swear it looks like we are moving out everytime we leave for the weekend, but hey - whatever works, right?

Good luck!
~Cara

--------------------
~Cara~

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 835 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 466

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review