All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Probiotics vs Digestive enzymes
      #77920 - 06/10/04 11:26 AM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

I wanted to start taking a probiotic, but then I was thinking maybe I should take digestive enzymes. Is one better then the other? Don't they both do the same thing, help digest food? I know there's been lots of posts about these, but I didn't really see any that answered my question. I see people on here take a brand called Jaro, what about Primal Defense?

--------------------
IBS-C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Probiotics vs Digestive enzymes new
      #78322 - 06/11/04 05:40 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

*bump* No input? I'm sure someone must know!

--------------------
IBS-C

#78329 - 06/11/04 05:49 PM
till

Reged: 02/11/03

Both are really good to take. I take a probiotic which helps pain and gas and helps support healthy microflora in the small intestine. I use Udo's Choice. It's so pricey! Digestive enzymes can help too. I take Beano. I tried to find a digestive enzyme with peppermint, anise, ginger, fennel but no such luck.

For Angel new
      #78333 - 06/11/04 08:13 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hi Angel,
I noticed that you live in Canada...I found a digestive enzyme that contains both peppermint and fennel which has helped me a little. Not a whole bunch but I have had a little improvement. It's made by Jamieson and it's just called "Digestive Enzyme" I had a hard time finding it but my drug store (a Shoppers Drug Mart) was able to order it for me and it's $10 for a bottle of 90 pills.
Hope that helps,
Kelly

Re: For Angel new
      #78336 - 06/11/04 08:28 PM
ibsgrl

Reged: 04/18/04
Loc: Canada

Cool Thanks Kelly - these must be it? http://www.jamiesonvitamins.com/product_item.asp?id=369

Just wondering if these are supposed to help IBS symptoms at all or...break down food? Sorry I'm not to well researched on these yet!!! But I am thinking of getting me a bottle. Seems reasonable.

#78337 - 06/11/04 08:29 PM
ibsgrl

Reged: 04/18/04
Loc: Canada

oh i just read that its recommended for digestion, indigestion and constipation which is great for me I think I am going to look at the Shoppers by my work tomorrow and see if they help. Do you take this, an SFS and other medication as well? sorry, so many questions!

#78340 - 06/11/04 08:50 PM
Shanna

Reged: 11/15/03
Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA

papaya enzyme helps food digest completely before leaving the stomache, thus easer to digest through the small and large intestines.

i reccommend you look at old posts on probiotics... there are MOUNTAINS! good luck.

--------------------
"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." -- e e cummings

For Ibsgrl new
      #78361 - 06/11/04 11:13 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hello,

I think they are mainly to help with digestion, but since they have peppermint and fennel in them they can help with cramps and stomach upset as well. I had a heck of a time finding them, tried every drugstore in the city practically, which is why I had them special ordered. I do think they've made a difference, and at least they're not too expensive.

In answer to your question, I take them with my main meal (the instructions are to take them once a day), and I take Beano with other meals. I also take an SFS (Acacia) and some other medications. The only med I take on a regular basis for my IBS is modulon, and I have some anti-spasmodics and anti-anxiety pills for bad attacks.

Hope that helps
Kelly

#78396 - 06/12/04 09:43 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Hi Fishnets,

(Go to the research library here for a ton of information.)

In my book there is no "vs" to it, the two do different things but go hand in hand in helping the over all gut health. I take a digestive enzyme with each meal. Note: some here are confusing digestive enzymes with herbs that help digestion. Some companies make pills that contain both. And Beano contains only one form of digestive enzyme. It's great and I take it when eating gassy foods but for one that I use with every meal it contains a varity of enzymes.........Amylase, Lipase, Protease, etc.

The probiotic acts like yogurt in adding to the good flora in your gut to help resist the bad bacteria that may form. It fights off those type of invaders that could cause infections. Again, do a library search.

Personally, there are lots of suitable brands out there. Primal defense as far as I'm concerned is way over priced and has some other unnecessary ingredients. Ask your HFS for a reasonalbly priced, over all digestive enzyme. The probiotic is another area you will have to decide for your self. Lots like Jarro, and for the $ is a good deal. I've taken just about all brands.

Hope this helps.

Kandee

--------------------

#78449 - 06/12/04 05:22 PM
till

Reged: 02/11/03

Thanks so much! I appreciate it! Hopefully I can find it here. I probably can. Thanks again!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2595 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9222

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review