All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
I am totally convinced, stress is the cause of IBS!!!
      #77792 - 06/10/04 06:08 AM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

Normally I am not a negative personality. After the things that have happened in my life over the last several months, I am convinced that we are afflicted in the lower abdominal region from the impact of personal trauma. I am talking about the type of trauma that hits you in your heart, personal heartache, things that happen to us that we cannot control, things that just happen, or events that are caused by individuals that just dont give a darn about anyone but themselves. Events that are caused by just living life, in the world we live in we are constantly bombarded with 'stuff'. For lack of a better word at this time in the morning.

Friends, forgive me for being so heavy minded first thing in the AM. But, this is how I feel, since I have been on the boards I have been waiting for someone else to post this very idea and I dont think I have seen it. Of course, it could have been here and I might have sailed right on by it.

Every time I have had a major IBS setback, it has been right after some mind blowing, psychological tailspin so to speak.

I dont think there is a way for Me, to overcome the after effects of what I call "body shock". I have been through several year of therapy, group therapy, anti-depressants, anti-younameit!

My theory, we (IBS'rs) are the people who take it all, try to help everyone else, born with hearts as big a TEXAS! (my home, if you didnt know already, it is a huge place). Always the first person to stand up and say I'm ready, what can I do to help YOU, yep, thats right, YOU the other peron, the one who has no help, no family, no one to rely on, who doesnt know what to do, or where to go to get help. We take care of the world, we dont take the time to take care of ourselves. Thats why we are so sick all of the time.

ok, I have given everyone something to think about for today, I am taking my fil to the Oncologist today, (because I want to, and because I am the only person in the family who is not working and I have the time. I am glad to help him out). Sorry to be such a downer, but to me this is my reality.

yes, I do take PROZAC, havent taken them regularly lately, I have just had so much going on around me, that has been the last thing I have thought of. Getting back on track with that this morning.

Oh, one more thing God has really blessed me otherwise, I have a loving and healthy husband who works so very hard to keep me at home. Two healthy sons, dil's and 3 grandsons.

Thanks to Heather for this site and working so hard to help us all understand our IBS, and to everyone here who has ever listened to me, or been there to help me out in my diet. You are all so special to me, and deserve a round of applause!!! Thank you all so much !!!

Love to ya'll, and hope everyone has a bright and safe day !!!

gayla

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Gayla new
      #77799 - 06/10/04 06:23 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Hope life starts getting easier for you soon.

IBS is definitely affected by stress - there's load of research on the serotonin connection, so why wouldn't stress affect that? And type-A personalities are apparently at more risk from Fibro, so an IBS personality makes sense. We all seem to have quite a lot in common on top of the IBS!

Be careful you take your Prozac. You need it atm!

Re: I am totally convinced, stress is the cause of IBS!!! I AGREE 100% AND SAY SO SOOOOO MANY TIMES new
      #77827 - 06/10/04 07:24 AM
Dimples

Reged: 04/01/04

Hi Gayla Hon,

So sorry you're so stressed out today. I hope you feel better as the day goes on.

I agree with what you said and if you look at all the wonderful people on the boards who are suffering the most (including you) you will see the ones who give so much are the ones that are suffering the most.

When I was going through a terribly stressful time about 1 1/2 weeks ago couldn't even post on the boards. Would try to log onto the computer inbetween my bouts of D (caused by terrible stress) and would read some of the posts of the most loving people on here as I knew that they would help me get through the day as I hope we will help you get through yours.

It is a year ago today that we put my mom in the nursing home. Of course it's a date I'll never forget for the rest of my life but know that is where she needs to be.

I think the hardest part about helping others is that we neglect ourselves in the process. A VERY special person on here reminded me of that so now I have to remember to try to put MYSELF first or I won't be any good to those I love and care about.

Will talk to you later and remember we ALL care. Please keep that in mind. It will help you through the day. I know it will!!

Hugs,

Pat

Re: I am totally convinced, stress is the cause of IBS!!! new
      #77869 - 06/10/04 08:31 AM
berky

Reged: 06/26/03
Loc: New York state

Hi! I completely agree that IBS can be caused by stress. I
have noticed that I can eat the exact same meal,and during
calm times I'm fine and during stressful times it causes
an IBS attack. Earlier on the boards ( or in Heather's book,can't remember which)this has been referred to as an 'insult to the gut'. There is a lot of data out there to
substantiate this. The question is, how to keep yourself from getting so stressed out? I find exercise helps tremendously. I walk, bike, kayak, ski and swim. It not only helps me burn off steam from my job working with emotionally disturbed kids, but takes me to serene and beautiful places which is so emotionally and spiritually healing. I hope you get a chance to spend some time outside somewhere beautiful to renew your spirit. I'm pretty sure it will help with the stress. Good luck!! Linda

--------------------
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." ~ Groucho Marx

Re: I am totally convinced, stress is the cause of IBS!!! new
      #77873 - 06/10/04 08:38 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Oh I agree that the stress makes things so much worse!

I'm sorry your having a hard day.... and that things will improve for you.

Boss is here today so I can't write much....

Take care of YOU!!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Re: Shell, Berky, Pat, and Linz new
      #77987 - 06/10/04 03:19 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

OMGosh !!

I had no idea how depressed I am until I just read your posts!!

You are all so sweet and supportive, I do have too much going on right now, all out of my control (as usual,for all of us)! Why in the world is it so easy for me to forget how blessed I am???

I live in a beautiful place, and I have the most beautiful little country road to take my walks. I DO NEED TO SEND SOME PICS, SO YA'LL CAN ENJOY IT TOO !!!! I am going out for a walk in a few hours after it cools down.

I love you all, you are soooooooooo sweet and loving!!! I wish we could all live in a neighborhood together !!!

Berky, love that Groucho Marx quote!!!! Cracks me up !!!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3154 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 899

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review