All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Update
      #77507 - 06/09/04 09:36 AM
Jules3

Reged: 03/10/04

So as of the last time I posted, I had gained about 5 pounds from who knows what-Ive since worked really hard and lost 3 of it. And my constipation was at an all time high. I went to a GI, and she gave me miralax. She told me she thought I had a bacterial overgrowth, and gave me antibiotics. Well I still get terrible and painful bloating and gas, and I don't think it helped much. The miralax is great, but I can't take it forever, can I? Has anyone else had a doctor tell them it was a bacterial problem? I was supposed to pretty much eat nothing on the IBS diet for 2 weeks, not breads, starches, carbohydrates...she said those were what was formenting in my gut and causing gas. But I am back to having a achy tummy...Any words of wisdom?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Update new
      #77546 - 06/09/04 10:43 AM
JBI

Reged: 01/25/04
Loc: BC, Canada

When I first started having D problems I asked my doc if maybe it was a bacterial infection (I had done a fair bit of research) so he gave me some anti-biotics. At first I actually felt a little better, but then things got really screwed up. Not only did I feel even worse and have more D than before, I got a green tongue! It was a side effect of the anti-biotics. The tests for a parasite or infection cam eout negative so I immediately stopped taking the meds. I've been foloowing the diet for quite a while and it has made a big improvement.

#77630 - 06/09/04 01:34 PM
LittleFox

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: California

My GI doc gave me Miralax, but no antibiotics. He ran a CT Scan, a Stool specimen test and took blood. He did not mention anything about bacterial growth. I have not taken the Miralax for about a week now because it gives me diarrhea. I have just been trying to eat soluble fiber and taking fiber supplements. I am IBS-A, and a laxative just tears my guts apart.

I am sorry I cannot be of more help. Perhaps you should get a second opinion. My first GI doc just gave me a colonoscopy and placed me on Zelnorm without taking any tests to rule out something other than IBS; that is why I got a second opinion.

Good Luck

Lene

--------------------
God never promised life would be easy, but he did promise to provide a way out!

Edited by Lene (06/09/04 01:40 PM)

#77771 - 06/10/04 03:21 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Have you had a stool sample tested? Shouldn't that tell your doc if you have a bacterial problem or not? As the antibiotics didn't help, then I'd say she was wrong.

Take some probiotics - antibiotics wipe out too much bacteria and you need to replenish it.

Are you being careful to eat enough insolubles?

Bacterial Overgrowth new
      #79331 - 06/15/04 09:50 AM
Jules3

I did a little bit of research, and from what I found even if that is the case, the antibiotics work VERY temporarily. And I can't even say that they worked. I am on Miralax now, but I am scared that my body is becoming dependent on it, and my doctor gave me a 3 month supply! I had the worst gas and bloating yesterday, and was in such pain that I cursed myself for even spending the money on going to a GI doctor!

#79543 - 06/15/04 03:04 PM
Jules3

I havent had it tested, is that something I can request on my next visit? Too late as for the antibiotics, they are over and done with. And seem to have done no good HELP!!!

IBS-A new
      #79548 - 06/15/04 03:09 PM
Linz

Do NOT take Zelnorm or any laxatives if you are IBS-A. And take only low doses of Immodium.

A decent SFS is the way to go!

Testing new
      #79550 - 06/15/04 03:12 PM
Linz

It's probably too late now as the antibiotics will have killed off the bacteria! (My doctor tested me after another doc had given me antibiotics - doh!).

Probiotics instead soudns like a better idea - get those GOOD bacteria going to kich the BAD bacteria's butts! Just make sure they're dairy-free.

Are you on a SFS? -nt new
      #79553 - 06/15/04 03:12 PM
Linz

Re: Are you on a SFS? -nt new
      #79569 - 06/15/04 03:24 PM
Jules3

What is that???

Ah. Sorry. SFS=Soluble Fibre Supplement! - nt new
      #79594 - 06/15/04 03:52 PM
Linz

Bacterial Overgrowth new
      #79930 - 06/16/04 10:06 AM
Jules3

I stopped taking my Acacia when she put me on Miralax, because I thought it would be too much for my stomach, is that wrong? I've been on it for a few weeks now. After the antibiotics, I am still having insane bloating and no relief. I am eating my oatmeal as we speak, and have continued the basic principles of the diet. I am frustrated and have a follow up appt with my doc in a week or 2, but her first bout of "help" was useless.

Very Frustrated!!!!

Re: Bacterial Overgrowth new
      #80067 - 06/16/04 02:58 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Jules, it will take a week or so to settle down. I know it's frustrating but it WILL get better. Just take it one day at a time and before you know it you'll look back and say, hey I'm not as bad as I was!! Okay??!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1054 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1875

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review