All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
LauraSue
      #76440 - 06/05/04 09:18 AM

Unregistered

Hi

Thanks for all the Metimucil tips. I finally figured out the other day why I have a scoop and you don't.

I bought the cheap store brand one. It's called "exact". I bought it from Superstore (which is Canadian).

It seems the scoop is equal to a teaspoon or a tad more.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Another thing... new
      #76457 - 06/05/04 12:23 PM

Unregistered

My store brand stuff is 2 level scoops (12g) is that about the same for yours? Each one of my scoops is about a teaspoon.

Under ingredients it says, "Each 12g dose contains 3.4 g of psyllium hydrophillic mucilloid. Each gram of this product contains 0.5g of psyllium hyrophillic mucilloid." What ever the heck that means.

I just want to make sure i'm taking a good amount because i'm going to Nova Scotia for awhile in the summer and it's over an 8 hour plane ride and I never travel well. Plus we have to drive to Vancouver to get the first plane and that's a 2 hour drive and a ferry ride. I'm so scared I don't want to go but each ticket we bought on sale for about $1100.00 each and there are at least 5 of us going in my family. Plus the cost of the cottage, food, car rental, etc!!!

So you can understand how I want a great vacation not spoiled by IBS attacks.

Re: Another thing... new
      #76461 - 06/05/04 12:52 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

My Metamucil says: Each rounded teaspoonful contains:: Pure Psyllium Husk Fiber (3.4 Grams). So that would be the same as the 12g dose of yours. So a rounded teaspoon of Metamucil equals two level scoops of your store brand.

And the maximum dose for Metamucil is three times a day, which would be 10.2 grams of psyllium or six scoops of your store brand. (I think I did the math right but you never know! Does that sound right?)

Just remember to increase SLOWLY!!!!

The vacation sounds fabulous. I have a friend here in NY whose family has owned a cabin in Nova Scotia for years. They go up for the whole month of August. And August in NY is definitely something to get away from! Hot, humid and thunderstorms!

Anyway, hope this helps.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

We're renting a cabin at the water ... new
      #76483 - 06/05/04 05:17 PM

Unregistered

We are renting a cabin in Nova Scotia even though we are mostly going to look around at the property my family owns and to see family cause it's where my mom is from and we haven't been there since I was 3 and I just turned 28!

Anyways I take 1 scoop 3 times a day. That sound right to you? It recommends for people who are C to take 2 scoops 3 times a day. It doesn't have a tingg for a regular daily dosage.

I e-mailed Metamucil and asked them. I hope to get a reply this week.

Thanks

Re: We're renting a cabin at the water ... new
      #76487 - 06/05/04 05:46 PM
LauraSue

I'm D and if I'm doing the math right I'm taking the equivalent of 2 scoops three times a day.

Also, don't forget to pack the Imodium!! I never leave home without it!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Re: new
      #76489 - 06/05/04 05:59 PM

Unregistered

Yep, I have the immodium and buscopan all the time.

So you take about 6 teaspoons a day? I had thought that you only took 1 teaspoon 3 times a day!

#76552 - 06/06/04 08:48 AM
LauraSue

No, I take 3 teaspoons, but it sounds like 1 teaspoon of mine equals 2 teaspoons of yours, so you'd need 6 teaspoons total. Go by grams of psyllium.

1 teaspoon of mine has 3.4 grams of psyllium. It sounds like it takes 2 teaspoons of yours to get 3.4 grams of psyllium. Right? 2 scoops equals 12 grams equals 2 teaspoons equals 3.4 grams of psyllium. Unless I'm reading it wrong!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#76558 - 06/06/04 09:01 AM

Unregistered

One teaspoon of mine equals 3.4 psyllium. I think that I was confused with the 2 scoops is 12g thing. I thought that each scoops was 6g. Hmmm I guess not.

Hmm I guess I should break down and buy the actual Metamucil to get a better cover.

I take 4 scoops of mine at the moment.

I read on a site last night that woman under the age of 50 should be getting between 20 & 35 grams of fiber a day.

If there is anything i'm forgetting to ask or think of let me know. I know that I over worry but I wan t so bad to be healthy.

But I gotta get going my friend is putting on a horse show today and there should be lots & lots of cowboys cause it's a western show. Yummy!

#76562 - 06/06/04 09:10 AM
LauraSue

OH! OKAY!! I got it now! Yeah, so you're actually taking more than I am. You should be good to go (so to speak!).

Have fun at the horse show -- sounds like fun!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1443 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2088

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review