All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
subway
      #75533 - 06/02/04 10:14 AM

Unregistered

I just had Tuna fish at subway and I feel like I am going to die! Never again! Its my own fault for not making my lunch today because I woke up late. 3 more hours of work and then i can get a heating pad.. goodness.
Its so amazing how fast it affects you. I just ate it!
Dina

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: subway new
      #75534 - 06/02/04 10:17 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Dina, I'm so sorry! I have trouble with subs sometimes too, even ones that seem like they should be safe. I have no clue why. Good luck getting through your work day. I hope you get a chance to relax and put your feet up tonight.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#75536 - 06/02/04 10:20 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Subway's tuna has Mayo!!!! Ouch! You must be so uncomfortable. Can you take any meds? Tea? Altoids?
I went to Subway the other day and had a hard time finding something to eat. I ended up getting turkey on Italian bread, with mustard. All of their special sauces have egg yolks and dairy in them, so be careful. I used to love the horseradish sauce, but that's off my list now. I did cheat and put a slice of provalone cheese on there, and it was fine. Also, be careful of the lettuce and tomatoes. I put a couple of the sweet roasted peppers on it and I was fine. Be careful with your tummy!

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

#75537 - 06/02/04 10:22 AM

Unregistered

mayo doesn't normally bother me. Ihave no idea what is in their tuna though. I did have tomatoes and lettuce on it, and it was on italian bread (their only normal kind). Yuck I will never ever eat there again. Looks like a bagel day tomorrow. I just want to lay down

#75538 - 06/02/04 10:23 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Sorry you not feeling well......

Well, this is what is in the mix......

TUNA: Tuna, Subway light mayonnaise, water, salt. May also contain: Vegetable broth (may be derived from carrot, soybean), hydrolyzed soy protein.

The 6" with select veggies (including cheese) is 19 grams of fat.

What else did you put on it? Maybe it was the lettuce? What kind of bread? I'm wondering because I just started eating Subway everyday for lunch.

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#75541 - 06/02/04 10:27 AM

Unregistered

the regular italian bread, lettuce, tomato, and tuna. Thats it. I have no idea what would have bothered me so much.

#75546 - 06/02/04 10:38 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Vegetable broth and hydrolyzed soy protein are code names for MSG -- which kills me. Also light mayo may have guar gum or carrageenan -- which also kill me.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Grr! new
      #75562 - 06/02/04 11:04 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Quote:

Vegetable broth and hydrolyzed soy protein are code names for MSG -- which kills me. Also light mayo may have guar gum or carrageenan -- which also kill me.

Why do they have to go stickin' all that junk in our foods???

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#75574 - 06/02/04 11:35 AM

Unregistered

I dont' have a problem myself with Subway anymore. I either have a tuna or seafood & crab sandwhich with mayo (light) small amount of lettuce, tomatoe, green peppers, and onions. Oddly enough I thing the seafood & crab has less fat than the tuna.

Sometimes I get the roasted chicken with the BBQ sauce.

I never have any other sauces added or cheese cause cheese always kills me.

Hop you feel better.

#75580 - 06/02/04 11:49 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Quote:

Even when it just says Vegetable broth, it's MSG???
Really?

Kandee

--------------------

#75585 - 06/02/04 11:58 AM
lisamay

Reged: 06/13/03

i have to tell you, the lettuce on subway sandwiches has bothered my husband a few times and he's finally stop asking for it. there's just something about that old, yucky, stringy lettuce!

#75588 - 06/02/04 12:03 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I'm a huge tuna eater and I used to love subway's tuna subs, but to be honest, I get the impression that they use an insane amount of mayo! And even though it's low-fat, there's a good chance it contains egg yolks and possibly dairy, which might not normally bother you in regular amounts, but they put a lot in their tuna. Maybe it was just a little too much?
Kelly

#75603 - 06/02/04 01:14 PM
StephS

Reged: 09/11/03

I get the sweet onion dressing this is what it has in it. I found this on the subway web page.
Quote:

FAT FREE SWEET ONION Sugar, water, corn vinegar, corn starch, modified food starch, spices, salt, toasted onion, dehydrated onion, poppy seeds, onion juice, sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate (as preservatives), dehydrated red bell pepper, caramel color, cucumber juice, calcium disodium EDTA added to protect flavor.

I usually get the honey oat bread with turkey, lettuce, pickles, tomatoes and the dressing. I do fine with this.

You can go to www.subway.com and click on the nurtiton part...it list all the breads, meats, cheeses...etc and tells you everything in it!

--------------------

Subway tuna sandwiches aren't safe! new
      #75607 - 06/02/04 01:21 PM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

The reality is everything in that subway sandwich could be troublesome for IBS people! Obviously lettuce, tomato and mayonnaise could be a problem. So could the bread depending on the ingredients.

If that isn't enough food for thought, then here's some more:

- The tunafish could contain ingredients that might not be good if you have IBS. Most canned tuna that I've seen on U.S. shelves contains milk and broth products. When I'm visiting the U.S., I have to go to a health food store to get a can of tuna that contains no milk or broth products.

- I doubt any of Subway's sandwich ingredients are organic. IBS people need to eat organic in order to reduce symptoms.

- One person on this message string mentioned turkey cold cuts. It's a fallacy to think turkey cold cuts are IBS safe. Regular cold cuts contain a horrific list of additives and preservatives, and could easily make an IBS person ill.

Sadly but truly, the safest thing is to always bring your own lunch to work. I have to set aside every Sunday afternoon to prepare my dinner meals in advance for the week and I have to get up early every weekday to prepare my lunch. This is the miserable reality of any person, who juggles a busy career and IBS.

On the bright side, there are usually no unpleasant surprises.

I hope by the time you read this you are no longer under the subway, but feeling better!

Belinda

#75610 - 06/02/04 01:24 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Unfortunately yes. I no longer have the citation, but I proved it to my unbelieveing hubby once. He bought two cans of tuna, one packed in water and one in vegetable broth and gave me a blind taste test. Guess which one I reacted to??!!

MSG is actually a NATURAL substance, believe it or not. But then so is rattlesnake venom and it'll kill ya real naturally!!

Having said that, I should also say that I can safely eat 1/2 of a Subway turkey sandwich with no problem. I was just throwing out ideas on what might have caused the problem.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#75662 - 06/02/04 03:19 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Sorry you aren't feeling well. It probably was the Subway sandwich but could it possibly have been something you ate earlier? I have had the tuna on "white" bread no lettuce before and had no problem. Also, I have had the chicken breast on white bread and that was OK. Have to watch what veggies you put on it, though. I usually have mine pretty plain. I can't tolerate the lunchmeat turkey, ham, etc. but the actual whole chicken breast is OK.

Barbie

--------------------

US canned tuns contains milk!!! You gotta be kidding? new
      #75723 - 06/02/04 07:12 PM
crampgirl

Reged: 02/23/04

When I buy a can of tuna that is packed in water I expect TUNA and WATER - PERIOD! I just went to my pantry and checked a can of chicken of the sea. Tuna, veg broth (says that broth contains soy), salt and phosphate. Luckily tuna never bothered me but man oh man, when I've eaten something for years with no problem I never think to read the ingredients, only with new things.

#75724 - 06/02/04 07:15 PM
crampgirl

Reged: 02/23/04

I used to eat Subway frequently with no problem. A few years ago, even the turkey started bothering me. Who knows, junky flavorings in the lunch meat, lettuce, tomato or even just the size of the subway. Can't eat till I'm full anymore. Finding that out saved me big time on problems.

#75770 - 06/03/04 04:37 AM

Unregistered

I went home and took some Citrucel and drank a ton of water. By about 8pm I was able to eat some toast. I will never ever eat there again. And I packed my lunch today

Dina

hey, Belinda-- how's that breadmaker? didja ever figure it out!? -nt- new
      #75789 - 06/03/04 05:56 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

--------------------

Starkist Tuna new
      #75825 - 06/03/04 08:07 AM
####

Reged: 04/05/04

I just checked a label on a can of tuna (water packed) and the contents are TUNA...WATER...VEGETABLE BROTH...SALT. Hmmm..if vegetable broth is "MSG undercover" that could be the culprit as well as the mayonaise in tuna salad.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4153 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5792

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review