All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Has anyone else tried the clear liquid/all liquid diet?
      #75400 - 06/02/04 12:25 AM
Gurgles

Reged: 06/02/04

Hi there, I'm new here too. Was just diagnosed with IBS, primarily C, after that wretched barium enema. I had almost three weeks of excruciating cramps - totally sudden onset - until my doc finally said, why don't you try a clear liquid diet? It was the first night I slept in almost 3 weeks. Just had juices, broth, jello, candy, popsicles. No pain, still a stomach that gurgles like thunder, but I was just happy not to cramp. After that, I added other liquidy foods like yogurt and ice cream (guess I'm not lactose intolerant), pudding, etc. Still no pain. Now I've added more solid foods, but I was just wondering if other IBS'ers have had this experience, where they don't get cramped up with liquids, which are usually easier to digest? I'm also taking several supplements, fiber, etc, but none of those made the difference like that liquid diet did, not that I could live on that forever. By the way, is there anything to be done about the gurgles? They are LOUD. Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Has anyone else tried the clear liquid/all liquid diet? new
      #75405 - 06/02/04 12:43 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I couldn't do that, but I'm predominantly D - that diet would have me in agony! How much SFS are you taking? My gurgling mostly went away with a good dosage of SFS. If I don't eat soluble fibre and take my supplements, then I get gurgly. The liquid diet probably make this worse!

#75410 - 06/02/04 12:59 AM
Gurgles

Hi Linz, Thanks for the response. I'm taking Miralax, which my Doc prescribed, in the morning, and I just decided to add some Citrucel as well tonight (I'm still in the experimental phase). Maybe that will take care of the gurgles. I am training to be a therapist and sometimes I'll be sitting across from a client and my stomach will be doing most of the talking. Very embarrassing. I don't know if this would be helpful for some others, but the other diet my doctor recommended -- as a step up from the liquid diet -- was what he called a low-residue diet, which was low-fiber and thus more easily digestible. He suggested mostly white bread, only cooked vegetables (not raw), that kind of thing. I was willing to try anything to get away from the nighly, marathon cramps, so if I have to, I will intersperse liquid diet days with real food.

#75412 - 06/02/04 01:19 AM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I tried the liquid diet thing for awhile, and it worked for a bit, but I found that to get more calories I was consuming a lot of "triggers" on the liquid diets, like Coke and things like that. So, I gradually tried to add things back in like applesauce, saltines, plain bread, and bananas. This was years ago and then I started eating normal again, and now I'm doing Heather's diet, and I've had the most luck with Heather's diet.
Don't know about the gurgles though, I wish I knew what would stop them You'll have to let me know if you figure anything out!
Kelly

#75416 - 06/02/04 02:07 AM
Linz

The low-residue diet is very similar to the IBS diet. Read Heather's guidelines and it'll tell you extra stuff (like what vegetables to eat!).

I haven't tried Citrucel, but some SFSs can contribute to gas, etc (and possibly gurgling?). Acacia is a lot gentler on the tummy.

#75426 - 06/02/04 05:30 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

i was on a liquid diet for 3 days 2 Christmases ago. that was only supposed to be temporary, though.

i couldn't do one now, nor would i want to. i don't believe it is healthy to sustain yourself on just liquids.

you should read through Heather's diet. it's similar in some ways to that low-residue diet. also, it has an emphasis on soluble fiber, which gels in the colon to help keep the contractions regular and the movement as smooth as possible.

i don't doubt your stomach is guggly- there's nothing but liquid in it. when your intestines contract, it's just sloshing stuff around.

my advice is to add some solid foods, slowly so as not to shock your colon, since it's adjusted to far too little matter at the moment. again, read Heather's diet carefully and concentrate on soluble fibers at first, adding insoluble slowly. those with constipation really need to make sure to get in enough insoluble fiber, too, but it has to have that soluble fiber base.

good luck.

--------------------

#75599 - 06/02/04 01:08 PM
Gurgles

Thanks everyone for the response and tips. My stomach gurgles even when I'm eating "real" food, not just liquids, but hopefully that will change by adding more SFS.

#75611 - 06/02/04 01:30 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Welcome, Gurgles! Love your screen name!

The liquid diet is tried and true for people who can't keep anything down after a tummy bug, but only for a day or two.

My tummy gurgles every now and then even though I've been stable (no D) for over 4 months. It cracks my husband up!!

Glad you're here, keep coming back!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#76134 - 06/04/04 05:36 AM
####

Reged: 04/05/04

There are times that I will fast food (sometimes a day, never longer than 7) for religious purposes and actaully, my colon is very happy when I do that. It isn't something that one should do for weight loss or anything like that for sure. I think what made you feel better as a "C" was to have your gut pretty well emptied out.

#76154 - 06/04/04 06:32 AM
littleone24

Reged: 05/30/04
Loc: London, Ontario

My stomach was gurgling really bad for a while. It still does sometimes, but less often. It's like a gassy, crampy, like you might have to go to the washroom type of gurgle that starts when you swallow the first few bites of whatever you are eating. It can be anything, even solible fibre foods. I tried taking (Full Spectrum) "Digestive Enzymes", they are herbal pills found in the drugstore. I take one before I eat supper, sometimes before other meals, depending. But man, it helps dramatically! You just have to make sure you wait about 5 minutes after you take the pill or it won't be dissolved and it won't work. I'm telling you, it's been my life saver. Without it, I wasn't even eating unless I knew I was staying home the rest of the day.

#76156 - 06/04/04 06:34 AM
littleone24

Reged: 05/30/04
Loc: London, Ontario

Was your main problem "D" or "C" or both? When you first got sick, were you in agony before you found this site? Did Dr.'s help you at all? One more question. Did you do all of the things Heather reccommends without messing-up, and is that why you are doing so well now?

Silly question - do you have normal bm's when you're on a liquid diet?-nt new
      #76161 - 06/04/04 06:45 AM
Ana Maria

Reged: 03/24/04

NOT a silly question, was wondering that myself -nt- new
      #76176 - 06/04/04 07:41 AM
ibsgrl

Reged: 04/18/04
Loc: Canada

Re: Silly question - do you have normal bm's when you're on a liquid diet?-nt new
      #76197 - 06/04/04 08:49 AM
####

Reged: 04/05/04

I did...and toward the end of the 7 days they were mildly loose but not "D". For those of us with "C" it's a lovley change of pace. What a sexy topic huh?

For Littleone new
      #76341 - 06/04/04 06:13 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

I'm IBS-D. I've been in agony, both physical and mental plenty of times in my life, but thank goodness I didn't give up, because I'm so much better and happier now. Before I found this site, I went through 6 months of bouts of severe D every couple weeks. Yes, my doctor did help me, by recommending a soluble fiber supplement (Metamucil happens to be the one I take, but any one will do), and by prescribing an antispasmodic called Bentyl -- and then insisting I take it every day, not just when I got D!! I did ALMOST everything Heather recommends without messing up (well, I messed up a couple times, but that just proves I'm human). And yes, that and the Bentyl and the soluble fiber supplement are why I'm doing so well now.

I'm so glad you found us. Don't give up five minutes before the miracle, okay??!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#76765 - 06/07/04 07:33 AM
susan127

Reged: 05/25/04
Loc: Vermont

Hi, I'm new here also. Stomach gurgling is a major problem for me. This morning I've had my mint tea with Benefiber and some oatmeal and a glass of water. My stomach is gurgling so loud I'm afraid the neighbors must here. It's a good thing I work from home.

Gurgling new
      #76769 - 06/07/04 07:36 AM
Linz

He-he! Aren't our tummies embarrassing?! Tho I've gotten so used to it, you would not believe.

How many grams of SFS are you on? Are you C or D? I find oatmeal a bit much for my tummy, so I have the instant stuff (which is ground to smithereens) instead.

Re: Gurgling new
      #76786 - 06/07/04 08:06 AM
susan127

I am D and have just really started the "regimen" last week. I'm on 1 tsp of Benefiber twice a day. I do the instant oatmeal as well. I like it better than the "real" stuff.

Re: Gurgling new
      #76790 - 06/07/04 08:15 AM
Linz

Well, if you slowly increase tyour dosage, that should help with the gurgling. But take it SLOWLY!

Also, do make sure you eat frequently enough...I get gurgly if I forget to eat.

Re: Gurgling - thanks new
      #76797 - 06/07/04 08:21 AM
susan127

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 201 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4338

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review