All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
no colonoscopy today- question
      #75194 - 06/01/04 10:07 AM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

I was supposed to have a colonoscopy today, but I chickened out. Well, I guess I can't say that was entirely the reason. One thing is that the lax they told me to take said it would take 1/2 hour to 6 hours to work(supposed to take it twice...I didn't start getting "D" till 26 hours later! Has this happened to anyone else? So I didn't feel like it would be a good idea to go.

--------------------
IBS-C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: no colonoscopy today- question new
      #75218 - 06/01/04 11:04 AM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hello!

Wow 26hours eh? Did you take the whole bottle? What kind of laxative did you use? Also are you normally C or D? I would imagine that's happened to other people...I know C people some docs even recommend taking a lighter laxative (milk of magnesia) for a few days prior to the big day to help them out.

It may be a good thing that you didn't go, because you certainly don't want to get all into the exam room and have the IV going and everythign and then have them tell you you're not cleaned out enough! That would be frustrating! If you're still planning on going through with it I would just tell your doctor exactly how you took it (and how much) and if you remember, what you'd been eating the few days before, and hopefully they can help you work something out so you'll be able to get it all done.

Good luck!
Kelly

#75309 - 06/01/04 04:36 PM
fishnets

Quote:

Hello!

Wow 26hours eh? Did you take the whole bottle? What kind of laxative did you use? Also are you normally C or D? I would imagine that's happened to other people...I know C people some docs even recommend taking a lighter laxative (milk of magnesia) for a few days prior to the big day to help them out.

It may be a good thing that you didn't go, because you certainly don't want to get all into the exam room and have the IV going and everythign and then have them tell you you're not cleaned out enough! That would be frustrating! If you're still planning on going through with it I would just tell your doctor exactly how you took it (and how much) and if you remember, what you'd been eating the few days before, and hopefully they can help you work something out so you'll be able to get it all done.

Good luck!
Kelly

I'm a C. I didn't take the whole thing, what the instructions are is to take one dose at 7pm, then another dose at 6am(same day as the colonoscopy). I assume the 6am one is to make sure anything left comes out. But I didn't take the 6am one since A)the first hadn't started working yet, and B)I felt like I was going to puke from it! So if I had taken the other dose I'd probably still be going now I mean as it was, I stopped getting the D at about 1pm, past the time of the test.

--------------------
IBS-C

#75366 - 06/01/04 08:32 PM
heather robin

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania

What did you take? I took the "laxative" Golytely or Colyte that comes as a big jug with a tiny flavor packet. I think you can also get it as a pill form. You start drinking it a 4 or 6 the night before and you are on the toliet from the time you start and (for me anyway) way after you finish. I also had to drink this lemon/lime medicine Magnesium Citrate Oral Solution(over the counter) that cleans you out as well. And I had a limited diet. If you weren't cleaned out, as you weren't, then they couldn't have done the test. I continued to have to use the bathroom until my procedure. Don't mean to be to graphic but my poop was clearish in color. I did call the nurse and she said that some people continue to have to use the bathroom but as long as my poop was clear that was okay. Good luck. And you should really have one I know that is easier said than done. I cried the whole way to the office and in the office until they knocked me out! And to top things off I had panic attacks too! But after it was over I was so glad I had done it. If I can do it anybody can!

--------------------
IBS-D

#75628 - 06/02/04 02:11 PM
fishnets

I used this Fleet laxative stuff. And the D just stopped at about 2:30pm today What's up with my digestive system? Sheesh!

--------------------
IBS-C

#75658 - 06/02/04 03:06 PM
Valerie3kids

Reged: 05/06/04
Loc: Florida

It takes all my nerve to even go to the doctor to get the colonoscopy scheduled! If I had to reschedule it would probably be at least another 6 months. I had one two weeks ago and I was shaking I was stressed. But it ended up being a breeze (yeah for good meds!).

I second what a previous poster said. I would let the doctor know what you took as it sounds like that is not the one to clean you out. I am always miserable as I go up until the procedure and by that point I am beyond tired of the situation!

Hang in there. Does sound like you definitely need to get the test scheduled.

Valerie

#75728 - 06/02/04 07:36 PM
sherr1

Reged: 10/07/03
Loc: Southern, Calif

I was given coloyte too. I started at 4 pm the night the before drinking every so many minutes until gone. I had the D until 4 pm in the morniong and my appt was at 7am. The Dr. even wanted me to do a fleet enema 1 hr before going in I passed on it and my Dr agreed. Well maybe this will give the Dr a good idea of your system and recommend a bettr solution for you. Well good luck on the next adventure...Have to laugh because god knows we are on a adventure everyday!!HA HA! Take care
Sherri

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 332 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1499

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review