All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
At my wits end!
      #75156 - 06/01/04 08:20 AM
misslynne

Reged: 05/17/04

I desperatly need some good advice. I have tried everything to get my intestines back in good shape. I am Ibs-C and take miralax daily which is the only thing that has constistently helped. The Bentyl I was taking helped but I had to take so many that I felt drugged, emotionally unstable and I stopped going to the bathroom (my doc said it slowed stuff down so "well" that it pretty much halted my digestion), so I am now off the Bentyl. I am taking the peppermint caps and they may help a little, I am not sure. I drink fennel, peppermint, ginger teas, you name it I drink it. I do everything right but am getting no relief. I keep reading in the numerous books that once you find your trigger you can end your ibs attacks. Am I the only person who is constatntly having an attack? It is never a case of I eat a meal and get sick for a while and it goes away, I always feel this way. Any advice would be appreciated. I am contemplating hypnotheray and going to a naturopath doctor-has anyone had any luck with these. Thanks for listening!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: At my wits end! new
      #75167 - 06/01/04 08:46 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Hypnotherapy has helped a lot of people. Also, I don't see any mention in your post about the three most important things for IBS-C:
1. Eating some INSOLUBLE fiber. C's need it even more than D's.
2. Drinking LOTS of water.
3. Exercise, walking in particular.

Good luck and I'm sure you'll get many more responses, too.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#75200 - 06/01/04 10:22 AM
misslynne

Thanks for the tips Laura. I already drink tons of water and I go to the gym 5 days a week and walk and do yoga on the others. I will up my insoluble fiber intake, I have read so much about not overdoing the insoluble fiber that maybe I have cut back too much. My doctor just called me and wants to do a colonoscopy so she can rule out anything worse, but given my age (27) and that I am female she feels confident that it is IBS and nothing worse-hard to imagine anything worse! I also earlier made an appointment for hypnosis, so I will let everyone know how that goes. Thanks again for the response, it helps having communication with others who know firsthand how you feel

#75228 - 06/01/04 11:20 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

You're welcome! You're right, I bet it's the insoluble fiber. Many people here have had that same experience of cutting back too far and needed to add some back in.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#75235 - 06/01/04 11:36 AM
rlan

Reged: 06/05/03

I definitely feel your pain. I was in exactly your place a little while back...I wrote post after post about how I just couldn't take it anymore. I exercise (I'm a personal trainer!), drink water, was eating the diet. I have been MUCH better lately. To be honest I don't know what it is there are many possible variables. I did the hypno CD in fact today is my last day, I gained some weight (uped my body fat perct.), and really try to relax when I'm stressed. It's hard to say what helped, there's no way to know if hypno helped and that's frust. but hey I feel better. Oh, and I also take probiotics. I took them awhile back and they helped then stopped when they didn't seem to be and now I"m back on! Ok, sorry to drag on but I totally understand. If you have more questions let me know!

Thank you for understanding new
      #75248 - 06/01/04 12:15 PM
misslynne

I am relieved to hear I am not the only person with this experience. People think I must feel amazing because I am so healthy in what I eat and my excercise habits. It is so frustrating when you do everything right and nothing helps-but as my doctor said, imagine how bad I would feel if I didn't do all of these things! I really need to put some weight on. I am down to 108 from 119 last fall and it is so hard to eat when I am in pain or bloated or whatever is ailing me. How did yo manage to gain weight? My weight training has suffered because I have lost so much weight, but I still lift at least three days a week. I take a probiotic now, which one do you take? Mine is called Enzymatic Therapy pearls. I am glad you are feeling better, I know there is no way I will feel like this forever, but it is really hard right now. I can't make plans with friends and my social life sucks right now, I am sure you understand. Sorry to vent, thanks for the info. I appreciate any tips you can give me. And again, glad you are feeling better, you give me hope!

Re: Thank you for understanding new
      #75357 - 06/01/04 07:38 PM
rlan

Reged: 06/05/03

Feel free to vent! I take Jarrdopholious EPS (spelling?) probiotic, you can get them at whole foods. I like them b/c I can put them in my purse! As far as gaining weight I just sort of founds foods with high calories and I didn't go crazy about everything I put in my mouth. that was hard to do. For ex. I never ate bagels and then a week ago I had two in one day..not a lot of food but a lot of calories! This sounds messed up but something is working for me. Don't get me wrong I'm not perfect I still have problems but I feel more in control. I hope you feel better soon. Stay positive it helps and I am the most pessimistic person!

Are you taking a soluble fibre supplement? - nt new
      #75401 - 06/02/04 12:31 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

#75622 - 06/02/04 01:58 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I understand your frustration. You will feel better. Just a few ideas - hypnotherapy is a great idea - visit the hypno board on this site - they're wonderful. Lots of people have found them extremely helpful.
As for a person finding their "trigger" - well, triggers are universal. A trigger is a trigger. The list is here under the IBS guidelines. Avoid all of them. With that said, individual people have different tolerance levels to them. IE someone can stand a trace amount of dairy, or the occasional indulgence in ice cream, (after a safe meal). Somethings I can't stand even in tiny amounts (ie whole wheat flour).
I know what it's like to feel crappy all the time. No one likes to feel this way. Have you tried a bit of light walking after a meal? Another idea is yoga. Lots of people have found it extremely helpful, as well.
I hope this helps.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: Thank you for understanding new
      #75764 - 06/03/04 03:57 AM
littleone24

Reged: 05/30/04
Loc: London, Ontario

I UNDERSTAND. I feel like [censored] every minute of every day. I eat something and the minute I swallow my intestines go haywire, they start gurgling and twisting, cramping and still nothing happens. I guess I'm a "C". I've had "D" maybe twice in 2 months, but that I think, is when I'm trying to eat things that will make me go. The one thing I am thankful for, even through all the agony , is that I'm a "C". I feel like commiting suicide now, imagine if I were a "D"! I have no social life either. My friends don't understand, my family doesn't either. I guess I look healthy. I can't go drinking anymore, and what is food???!! This sucks, I feel like my life is worthless. So, believe me, I feel your pain.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1787 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2395

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review