Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
New User with Questions--LONG POST!
      #75095 - 05/31/04 09:09 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

Hi, everyone!

Well, I've been lurking on this site for the last few months when time has allowed, and I've decided to finally make myself known a bit.

I don't know if anyone else is in this unfortunate situation, but I am a high school teacher, which makes my IBS-D attacks particularly uncomfortable! When my IBS flares up, I invariably end up having to leave my after-lunch class to take care of business.

Now, I have yet to make a 100% commitment to trying the IBS diet, but I have promised myself to give it a go this summer when I have some time. When my symptoms are under control, I usually have loose stools (sorry to be so vivid) in the morning and then make it through the rest of the day without issues. But it is not normal to have D as one's normal "output," is it?

I have had trouble identifying any consistent triggers, but I do have a frustration that I am wondering if anyone shares. When I eat "badly," as in little to no fruits and veggies and lots of steak and other high-fat foods, my D goes away! Has anyone else experienced this totally negative incentive? Apparently I could eat McDonald's every day and while my general health would go to heck, my bathroom habits would become normal!

I am going to buy some Equilactin tomorrow after reading about it on this site. I do tend to get a nauseated/rumbly tummy in my class before lunch that hints to the troubles that will arise once I eat. Maybe Equilactin at that point would cut the problems off at the pass. I also do have Benefiber, Citrucel, AND Fiber-Con in the house, but I honestly forget to take them!

I also have an iced-tea maker. Does anyone have any recommendations for very tummy-friendly mixes?

One last thing, and this isn't diet-related, but I'm just curious if anyone here can relate, since no one I have ever met in the "real world" could. My real IBS symptoms didn't start until my mother-in-law was diagnosed with cancer, a battle she lost in just six months. Prior to that, though, I always had a "sensitive stomach." Every once in a great while--once or twice a year, maybe--I would literally just catch a chill and get an instant urge to go (always D). Has anyone else had the experience: catching a chill (in a swimming pool, entering an air-conditioned environment, sweating on a cool night, etc.) and getting the urgent need to go?

Thanks for your patience in reading all this. Any feedback or advice beyond the easy-to-locate stuff on the site would be appreciated!

Christine

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Welcome! new
      #75121 - 05/31/04 11:21 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hi MsMizzle!

Well, I'm going to try and offer some suggestions but I'll try and mainly stick to stuff that isn't really obvious so I hope it is helpful.

First off, I would say definately give the diet a real good try. No cheating...that way you can see what a difference it'll make. When I first started the diet I thought I was being extremely good, but I quickly realized I was cheating without even realizing it, because some of the foods I was eating had hidden ingredients (especially dairy) that I wasn't supposed to have. It can be hard to give a lot of stuff up (chocolate and coffee were killer for me) but it's worth it once you do!

As for your comment about how your D goes away when you eat things that are supposed to be "bad" it could be because you're not eating fruits and vegetables then. Steak and high fat foods are definately normally triggers, but fruits and veggies will normally cause more D because of their high insoluble fiber content. If you're not eating any of those when you're eating "bad" you're probably swinging over the C, which is fairly common with IBS.

You mentioned that you have a hard time following lunch when you're teaching. I think that the Equalactin is a great idea, as is trying to remember to take a soluble fiber supplement everyday as that will really help. Do you ever try and take any anti-diarhheal medication? I've found Lomotil to be really effective. It won't necessarily help with cramps but it gets rid of D for me really quickly, and maybe that could help you on really bad days when you're at work.

As for your teas, there are a lot of herbal teas that you can make into ice tea. You could try peppermint or fennel as both of these are great for the tummy. I like some of Celestial Seasonings teas for making iced tea, especially the strawberry and raspberry flavored ones. Plus, they're completely caffeine free so I don't have to worry about it triggering attacks.

As for your comment about chills, I can't say that I've ever experienced that, but hopefully someone else here has.

Anyways, welcome to the boards, I hope that you'll get lots of helpful information!
Kelly

Re: New User with Questions--LONG POST! new
      #75157 - 06/01/04 08:21 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Welcome! I just had to respond - I taught high school and even worse, grade 7 and 8. I totally understand your situation. It's horrible not being able to leave a class. I hated it.
Did you get a proper diagnosis? It's critical - the symptoms mimic so many things. We had a fellow on this board lose his mother to cancer because she thought it was IBS and didn't seek further medical attention.
As for friendly teas, as long as they're decaf, you should be AOK. Peppermint tea is amazing (and a nice refreshing cup in the summer). Mags (the other moderator) uses blends of different tea bags. I like to mix a decaf black tea with a hint of raspberry tea or something like that. Experiment and enjoy.
Try the 100% commitment. IT will take your worries away at work. As for the fiber supplement - make sure you start with a very small dose and gradually increase it over several weeks/months.
There's tons of information on this site. The page before you enter the eating for ibs guidelines board has several green highlighted topics. Happy reading!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#75164 - 06/01/04 08:40 AM
jasperlovel

Reged: 05/21/03

HI MISS MIZLE. WELCOME TO OR BOARD. TRY SOME CALTRATE PLUS ITS A CALCIUM PILL WHAT CAN HELP SOME WITH THE DIRREA.
HOPE YOU FEEL BETER JASPER.

--------------------
ive had ibs for 8 years now. im learning alot on this web board. thanks again everyone

#75166 - 06/01/04 08:43 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Welcome, Christine! Glad to have you on board.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#75172 - 06/01/04 08:58 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Welcome to the boards Christine.... try the diet you will really notice a difference.

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

cold/sleepy -> D new
      #75239 - 06/01/04 11:52 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Quote:

One last thing, and this isn't diet-related, but I'm just curious if anyone here can relate, since no one I have ever met in the "real world" could. My real IBS symptoms didn't start until my mother-in-law was diagnosed with cancer, a battle she lost in just six months. Prior to that, though, I always had a "sensitive stomach." Every once in a great while--once or twice a year, maybe--I would literally just catch a chill and get an instant urge to go (always D). Has anyone else had the experience: catching a chill (in a swimming pool, entering an air-conditioned environment, sweating on a cool night, etc.) and getting the urgent need to go?

Hi Christine--

Yep, I've had the same problem, although I interpret it differently. I'm a C person most of the time, but if I suddenly get a chill or feel extra sleepy, I know that D (or, well, something more normal ) is coming my way within half an hour or so. (Well, cold means 5-10 minutes, sleepy means 15-60 minutes.) Weird, huh? I've always interpreted it as cold as an early warning sign of D, but maybe your interpretation is better in that cold leads to D.

As to your other point, my IBS has been with me all my life in one form or another, but a lot of people here have had it started with trauma like yours. I wonder if hypno might be a good thing for you to try?

--AC

Welcome new
      #75380 - 06/01/04 09:06 PM
heather robin

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania

Isn't it nice to be in a place where others are just like you? I have to say give the diet a 100% try, it has been really helpful, I am IBS-D. And the fiber supplements. But before all of that have the tests done by a gastro to rule everything else out! As for the chills/cold I am the oppisite. If I get hot I feel my insides melt and know it is only a matter of time. If I get the chills and D I know I have a stomach virus. Good luck and keep us posted!

--------------------
IBS-D

#75399 - 06/01/04 11:56 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Hey there!

The reason so-called bad foods stop your D is that many fruits and veggies are high in insoluble fibre, so are triggers (PARTICULARLY for D). High fat foods are also a trigger, but some people (inc.me) find them constipating. Hence your symptoms! But the IBS diet should sort you out without being unhealthy! Start a SFS )soluble fibre supplement) straight away - it'll really help. Also, try and cut out all the triggers and you should notice a great difference!

Good luck.

IBS-D HELP! new
      #80712 - 06/18/04 08:06 AM
HONEY

Reged: 06/18/04

I AM HOPING SOMEONE CAN BE OF HELP. I HAVE BEEN SUFFERING FROM IBS-D LIKE SYMPTOMS FOR A SOLID 3 WEEKS NOW. I HAVE BEEN ADMITTED TO THE HOSPITAL TWICE FOR DE-HYDRATION AND HAVE TRIED ALL THE TEAS AND HERBAL SUPPLENTS. NOTHING SEEMS TO STOP THE CRAMPING AND DIARHHEA. IHAVE DONE ALL THE CULTURE SAMPLES AND BLOOD WORK AND IT SEEMS AS THOUGH THERE IS NO INFECTIONS OR PARASITE CAUSING IT. MY DOCTOR HAS TRIED LOTHIMOL AND IMMODIUM NOTHING STOPS TRHE SUDDEN URGES TO GO. DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A DRUG THAT CAN HELP THIS OR CERTAIN DIET. ALL I HAVE BEEN EATING IS BLAND FOODS AND CRACKERS. I HAVE LOST 7 POUNDS IN THE LAST 3 WEEKS I NEED YOUR HELP. I AM BOOKED TO RUN SOME TESTS IN A FEW WEEKS WITH A GASTROINTEROLOGIST. I CAN'T WAI THAT LONG TO GET RELEIF. THIS CONDITION HAS EFFECTED MY LIFE, MY JOB AND I JUST WANT TO BE NORMAL AGAIN.

Re: IBS-D HELP! new
      #80771 - 06/18/04 09:55 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

To stop diarrhea, other things to try are:
1. Pepto Bismol or Kaopectate
2. The BRAT diet, bananas, rice, applesauce and toast
3. Rest and plenty of liquids

Good luck, Honey, and keep us posted okay?

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#80787 - 06/18/04 11:27 AM
michele36

Reged: 06/10/04
Loc: Maryland

Hello and Welcome!

I wanted to address the timing of your IBS-D. I never had a sensitive stomach until after the birth of my daughter. Following that, my stomach started acting a little sensitive, but really wasn't too problematic.

However, years later -- following the death of my mother (cancer) and my father (heart attack) who were both very young -- my stomach continued to become more sensitive.

The symptoms progressed until it became more difficult to manage. I am one of the lucky ones (do I dare say this???) who doesn't have frequent attacks (once or twice per month). But, my stomach is always in some kind of turmoil and hurts pretty regularly. When I started to have more frequent attacks I did some research. I consider myself lucky to have found this site. Everyone is so supportive, kind and caring.

I now follow Heather's dietary guidelines as much as possible. That's not to say that I don't slip on occasion, but I am committed. IT HAS MADE A DIFFERENCE! I do feel better and I feel a lot more confident that I can manage this and feel better!

With that said. . .I think you should make the commitment to the diet and guidelines offered on the board. If you follow the guidelines, you will FEEL BETTER! This is a phenomenal group of people who have your best interests at heart.

Best of Luck!

--------------------
Be Happy!

#80896 - 06/18/04 04:17 PM
HONEY

You are so right. I find I am scared to eat too much and if i don't eat I feel worse. It is comforting to know that there are others that are going through the same thing as me. I am tired of people telling me to get it out of my head. Where do you get this diet? did you buy the book?

#80897 - 06/18/04 04:19 PM
HONEY

Thanks LAurasue I am going to give this a shot. Thanks for the advice.

#80902 - 06/18/04 04:28 PM
leslierf

Reged: 10/11/03
Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Stop eating crackers. They can be causing some problems.
When I get that way, here is what I eat.
White rice, plain cooked pasta, Fresh baked French bread (stay away from packaged breads like Rainbo or Wonder),Plain bagels,Rice chex (no milk),Pretzels, Tons of peppermint tea. When I feel a little better I add Chicken Breast or turkey breast, grilled white fish,White Albacore Tuna.
I also try to de-stress by taking long warm bubble baths and listening to relaxing music.
Try reading the information on this site, it can be incredibly helpful.
Good luck!
Leslie

#80904 - 06/18/04 04:31 PM
leslierf

Reged: 10/11/03
Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Look to the upper left side of your screen and click on "IBS Diet and recipes"

Re: IBS-D HELP! (AND LAURA SUE) new
      #81199 - 06/20/04 05:47 AM
hslib

Reged: 11/23/03
Loc: VA

I think you are right on the money, Laura Sue. Back in the fall, my IBS D was just like this. I lost about 10 pounds in 4 weeks. I was living off of plain rice, saltines, toast, cream of wheat (if I was really brave). I felt like I should be in a nursing home. I was getting weaker every day. My general md. gave me Levbid (presc.) which helped control it to some extent, but I still took the Immodium when it got too bad. Since then I have seen a GI dr. who changed my med. to Librax (helps the nerves and the tummy). That worked much better, but I still have attacks, and putting weight on for me has been next to impossible. I feel like my diet is for someone trying to lose weight. But when I look back and think about what I was eating in the fall - rice, bread, applesauce, tea, I've come a long way. Hang in there. It takes awhile for your system to start healing once this kicks in. I got a bout of stomach flu in Feb. and lost 5 more pounds with D everyday for two weeks straight. I cried at the GI dr. b/c I was so frustrated. He ran an upper GI test and all came back clear. He was pretty sure it was the flu. Like you, I also had no bacteria that was causing it. I can tell you one thing, and everyone else on this board would agree, the more upset I get over the attacks, the worse they get! I have really tried to calm myself down (although I think I need some help with the stress part), and get through them when they hit. I have had several in the past two weeks just from pure anxiety (and not "bad" stress). I can get excited or anxious about going to a party and BOOM! I get an attack. Try to stay hydrated... that was a big part for me. I drank lots of water and tea (no caffeine). But honestly the presc. med. was necessary for me. Good luck and stay strong. It will get better, but it is a long process.

Edited by hslib (06/20/04 05:49 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2910 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3458

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review