All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Re: Desperate! Advice sought please... new
      #75058 - 05/31/04 06:00 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Stick with fruits and veggies high in SOLUBLE fiber first, the big two being bananas and potatoes. Stay away from salads and raw veggies for now, you can add them back slowly later. Cooked veggies are okay as long as you eat them WITH soluble fiber foods like bread or rice or pasta. Chopping them up fine, like for soup, also helps.

With fresh fruit, peel it and have it with soluble fiber. Good luck and thanks for sharing your story.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Don't give up!!! new
      #75068 - 05/31/04 06:46 PM
crampgirl

Reged: 02/23/04

God, I feel for you. To be so young and plagued with this mess. I didn't get it until I was much older. I see numerous people have already posted with great advise, and for sure the suggestions in the book should help you. I've had this mess for over 10 yrs now. In the beginning I felt like you, even wanted to just die and wondered about living with a bag as a preferable way of life. I've known people who have had to go on the ostomy bag for a few mos after colon cancer and also had entire colons removed and believe me, living with no colon or on the bag is no picnic and you are unable to get the nutrients you need that way either & still have problems with food. So, don't give up yet is what I'm saying. This diet has made a world of difference to me, and I don't follow it 100% but what works for me. Come here and vent anytime you want, that is what we are here for.

Re: Angel honey.... new
      #75077 - 05/31/04 08:08 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

You poor girl, I am so sorry you are suffering so terribly.
Dont give up, there are so many people who have found relief here. I am one of them, I thought the rest of my life was going to be down hill. Please hang in there, I care about you, you are too young to give up.

I had my first attack at 17, I am 47 now, back then there was no such thing as IBS. I was so afraid, I didnt even tell my mom how terribly I was suffering. I was laying out in the sun, started feeling weak, and in terrible pain, I tried to walk towards the back door and I collapsed. In too much pain to get back up, laying in the hot sun. It was terrible. I do know how you feel, lets just say it can only get better. We dont want to know what worse would feel like!

take care, I will be checking on you, gayla

Hey Poorly Tum, I am back new
      #75093 - 05/31/04 09:06 PM
gigi

Are the posts you have received encouraging? I hope they are, I am worried about you. I just want to send positive thoughts your way, always a prayer, please dont ever give up.

You are at a time in your life when you are soooo ready to get out and live. I feel for you, do you have Heather's Book? "IBS The First Year"? If not, go ahead and get it, it is a quick read. I keep it out on my desk, and refer to it often.

Take care, I am so sorry you are hurting, and so depressed.
Do you take anti-depressants? If not, please try them, I take Prozac, it helps me. gayla

#75094 - 05/31/04 09:07 PM
gigi

Re: Angel honey.... new
      #75323 - 06/01/04 05:20 PM
till

Reged: 02/11/03

Hi
I'm glad you found relief. I had my first attack when I was 19 and I thought I was going to die. The pain was so bad I was screaming my head off. My IBS is so severe I don't know what to do. I get severe migraines and PMS annd that makes my IBS so much more severe. Attacks are so severe too. Heat makes me so sick too and it's getting closer and closer to summer!!
Summer here is so horrible. Humidity is so powerful. It hurts my severe arthritis in my fingers too. I hate summer. I never could handle heat.
What do you do?
Thanks
God Bless

#75362 - 06/01/04 08:08 PM
heather robin

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania

I agree with what everyone has suggested. Have you had all the tests to rule out everything else? My gastro said fiber supplements weren't for me, but I am taking them and they help. I hate to be a party pooper but I had a bad experience with a nutritionist and don't care for them. Other IBS books out on the shelves were written by doctors and nutritionists who get it all wrong or half wrong. Have you given Heather's "diet" a try? I am IBS-D and it has helped me so much I could just go on and on. I am now adding fruits and veggies into my diet. Hope you are feeling better soon.

--------------------
IBS-D

Re:Angel honey, The humidity here is horrible too.... new
      #75385 - 06/01/04 09:18 PM
gigi

I am concerned that you sound at the end of your rope. The humidity makes me feel as if I am fighting for my breathe, I try not to go out of the house until late evening when it is the hottest here, June through October. It is hard though, my yard is 2 acres, imagine trying to mow in the heat, trying to breathe, allergy attacks....I could go on and on.
Do you take SFS? Do you have Heather's book, IBS The First Year? If not, I do suggest it, I cant tell you how it changed my life the first week!
I do understand the extremely painful attacks, when my children were younger I was cooking dinner, out of the blue I was doubled over and before I knew it I felt like my colon had thrown me on the floor, literally. I had nothing for the pain, it was horrible.
Do you drink coffee? Carbonated beverages?

AS for the heat, I do drink water constantly, and I brew peppermint, cherry berry, and peach tea and I keep it in the fridge! Every little bit helps.

Dont you dare give up, too many people here care about you and helping you get better!! Keep me posted, gayla

Veggies and SFS new
      #75398 - 06/01/04 11:51 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Taking a gentle SFS like Acacia will actually help you eat more veggies, so I'd start that first. But note what LauraSue said - start with soluble fibre veggies and avoid the more difficult stuff (like salad) atm. How about unsweetened apple sauce - cooked apple "innards"? Avoid the skins!

#75625 - 06/02/04 02:03 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Aww, sweetie! I feel so horrible for you. I was exactly the same when I finished my first degree. I went nowhere. I ate potatoes, chicken and white bread. Total.
Peppermint tea. I would start drinking gallons of it. Then, try the odd mashed and cooked vegetable along with some rice or a slice of bread. IE squash, sweet potatoes, carrots. That's a good starting point.
Insist on getting a proper diagnosis. There could be something else going on. You'd think that after your degree was finished your stress level would go down and ease your symptoms.
Yoga?
Hypnotherapy?

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2149 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12753

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review