All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Celiac AND IBS anyone
      #7485 - 04/26/03 06:34 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

First of all, thank you to this BOARD!!!!!! This has been REALLY TOUGH for me...and you all make it much easier. ((((HUGE HUGS))))

Heather suggested on more than one occasion that my symptoms sound like celiac. So I've decided to go gluten free for two weeks...but I want to stay on the IBS diet simultaneously. Anyone have any info.? I checked out celiac.com...but I am wondering if other folks have ideas as to where to start (ie what foods to start out with) as I'm going to the grocery tomorrow (hopefully with a list)

Thanks SO MUCH EVERYONE! I love you all...and I hope you all feel great!

P.S. Can you take equalactin and drink herbal tea on the celiac diet?

Love, hugs, and a happy weekend!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Celiac AND IBS anyone new
      #7527 - 04/27/03 12:00 AM
Georgette

Reged: 04/10/03
Loc: Kamloops B.C.

Hi Ruchie
I'm just waiting to hear back from the Doctor to let me know if I'm celiac. I'm sure hopeing not because as it is I have cut out so much out of my diet. I don't know if I can cut out Bread,rice,etc. What will I eat then? It will be that much harder. I'll let you know when I find out my test results.
Georgette

#7542 - 04/27/03 05:28 AM
Snow for Sarala

Georgette,

I feel the same way! I am taking the next two weeks to cut ou gluten and to stay on the IBS diet. Not much to eat it seems! My doc is no help (he tested me for celiac with a blood test...but they're not fullproof), so I'm taking matters into my own hands (and with Heather's suspicion that I may have celiac). I'm planning on eating plain rice, plain potatoes, plain cooked carrots, and potentially plain chicken/fish. I'm hoping folks can come up with things I can add to this...but either way...I just want to know what's wrong with me! If I have IBS and Celiac, so be it...at least then I can begin to get well. That's most important to me!

I hope we BOTH don't have celiac...and I will pray that we don't! I hope you find out soon...please kep me posted! Thanks for responding! *hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#7548 - 04/27/03 06:46 AM
BarbBT

Reged: 04/05/03
Loc: Chicago suburb, IL

I, too, thought I might have celiac disease so completely eliminated wheat and gluten from my diet.

There are different breads and cereals that you can find that are wheat and/or gluten free. I'm sorry I don't remember the brand names, but you can find them in the refrigerated or freezer sections of health food stores or natural food stores (i.e., Whole Foods). The breads are good..especially after you get used to them. However, I found the texture to be different...very dense and sort of crumbly. If you keep the breads in the refrig or freezer, and toast them before you eat them they don't fall apart as easily.

Once I got used to the different texture, I really liked the breads. The cereals are good too, although I don't care for corn cereals so I had to get used to them.

Also, Whole Foods (do you have that store in your area?) had quite an extensive list of foods that they carry that are all wheat and/or gluten free which REALLY helped when shopping. Absent that, read labels carefully and you can find all sorts of good food that you'll be able to eat.

Hope that helps!
Barbara

#7549 - 04/27/03 07:13 AM
Snow for Sarala

Barb,

You're WONDERFUL! I DO have Whole Foods near me...I will def. check them out. Do you happen to know if their stuff was Kosher? That is a BIG concern for me. I'll let you know what I find...thanks for your help! P.S. Do you have celiac in he end?

((hugs))

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#7571 - 04/27/03 10:54 AM
BarbBT

Hi,
I found my 6-page list of Gluten-free products from Whole Foods, and discovered it's also on the web. Here's the link: http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/products/glutenfreeproducts.html

The bread that I liked is by "Food for Life."

I'm sorry, but I don't know if the foods are kosher...guess you'll have to check the label.

And "did I have celiac in the end?" Ooooh...bad pun! No, as it turned out I didn't have celiac.

I continued to have significant digestive problems even when I cut out all wheat and gluten-free products. I tried it twice, both times for 2 weeks and then discovered Heather's books and realized what my problem is.

I knew I had IBS, but I never knew about soluble vs. insoluble fiber. That's when I discovered that whole wheat flour, not wheat flour, was a trigger for me. In addition, some of the things that have helped me are that I always eat soluble fiber first (no more salads at the beginning of a meal), drink Citrucel, take digestive enzymes at each meal, eat small frequent meals during the day, and cook IBS-safe recipes. These and other suggestions that Heather writes in her books have helped me to have NO symptoms for 5 weeks now. Yea! That's a record! (And copious thanks to Heather and this board for changing my life!

Barb

#7582 - 04/27/03 01:01 PM
Snow for Sarala

Barb,

Thanks BUNCHES! (((hugs))) I went to Whole Foods...couldn't find any gluten free bread! Maybe they'll have some soon. I did buy things with Quinoa and I had some for lunch today and a potato for breakfast...so I'm on my way! I'll let you know how this turns out for me. Thanks for your help and support!!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#7585 - 04/27/03 01:09 PM
BarbBT

Hi Ruchie,
Glad you found some things to eat at Whole Foods, but I'm surprised that they had NO gluten free bread. At my Whole Foods store they have several different kinds in the freezer section (all made by Food for Life). Hopefully you were looking in the correct place...?

Good luck to you. Please keep me posted on how you're doing.

Barb

#7586 - 04/27/03 01:19 PM
Snow for Sarala

The FREEZER section...I missed that part I'll have to go back and check that out! LOL

I am SO THANKFUL that Heather suggested trying gluten-free...so far so good (not that it's been more than 2 meals...but no complaints)! Better than it's been in a while...

Thanks again *hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#7588 - 04/27/03 01:29 PM
BarbBT

2 meals and counting...sounds GREAT to me!

Barb

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2597 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3759

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review